Default How many hives per beeyard?

I would like to hear some responses on how many successful hives people are keeping in a yard and still producing honey without over foraging. Obviously the location of the yard would play a big factor on how many hives, so maybe also list what your surroundings are.

I currently have 1 hive on 40 acres in the Northwest NY. Its in a bit of a suburban area. I am planning on increasing to 8 hives and wondering how many more I could sustain on the property. I guess by the end of this summer I'll know for sure.

Thanks,

Spring is almost here!!

Default Re: How many hives per beeyard?

Actually you have 1 hive on about 8000 acres... the bees are not paying much attention to those property lines.

Even the poorest of yards should be able to support 8 hives... so no worries. There are so many variables - it is impossible to know... only your time and experience will lead you to a judgement.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Your bees are not only foraging on the 40 acres but can fly up to five miles so that greatly increases the available forage.
    In my permanent yards in fall until spring the number of colonies will be anywhere up to 100 or more depending on splits and nucs.
    During the honey flow I will have 32 or 40 per yard, although some summer locations will have up to 4 yards per quarter section in clover for example.
    So it depends on time of year, amount of forage, and also how many hives I want to have to work in one location.

My hero as a child was the local commercial beekeeper. When I asked how much forage i had to have for a similiar number, he replied' "that many can make it off the fence posts". I think he was right. You have no problem with that number.

24 will work good in nys.

Back in the 1800s and early 1900s there are many books that quote numbers like 200 hives in one place. Obviously those were the days before herbicides and cutting the alfalfa when it was only 10% in bloom and round-up ready crops. On farmland in my area 20 in one place is typical unless you have a farmer either cooperative enough or lazy enough to let the alfalfa go or a big meadow that doesn't get sprayed or some woods with locust and basswood etc.

A few of my locations because of the above issues (meadows etc.) can support 30 or 40 hives...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I live on the edge of town and have had 10 hives in my back yard... about 1/2 acre. Produced a crop.
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

I would think that you could easily carry 8 hives considering where you live. (Plenty of rain and a long nectar flow/season) Other places such as where I live, 3-4 hives is max. I just have to spread out my apiaries.