Default I have never had so many cucumbers on at one time.

Never even half of what I have on right now.

Yea bees.

Looks like I better find a pickle recipe.
    Zone 5B

Default Re: I have never had so many cucumbers on at one time.

Awesome. We had that with our blueberries this year. Loaded!

It's turning out to be a good year for them here in PA as well. Last year was the first year I tried pickling using a canner and store bought pickling mixes. I obviously need to work on that. lol But, this year I'm going to try some refrigerator recipes that look kind of interesting.
    Year 2 Zone 6a

If you are going to make pickles DO NO FORGET THE PICKLE CRISP.
    It's in the canning section and your pickles will be much better if they are crispy and crunchy.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

My garden has been fantastic since I got bees. The drought is not helping much this year. I'm glad my bees are making cucumbers and squash, because they sure aren't making much honey.

Yes! First year with bees for me and my little vegetable garden is just alive with the sound and motion bees. I've never seen so many lemon cucumbers on the vines as we have this year.

Most people would be annoyed if there was 100 bees in their hot tub, but since my hot tub is full of Crane melons I consider it a good thing.

Yeah my bees went nuts on the lemon cucumbers. Can't eat them fast enough, they keep making more.

How far from your gardens are your hives? I was hoping to put my hives right in my garden, but then read that bees will "ignore" plants that are within 10 - 20' of the hive. One of the main reasons I wanted to get my own hives was to increase the yield in my garden

Quote Originally Posted by Lorahv View Post
    How far from your gardens are your hives? I was hoping to put my hives right in my garden, but then read that bees will "ignore" plants that are within 10 - 20' of the hive. One of the main reasons I wanted to get my own hives was to increase the yield in my garden
    Just noticed this today.

Our hives are right in the back of our garden. Last year, we planted lemon cucumbers and crookneck squash right in front of the hive - about five feet away. Bees were all over them....and the beans, and the tomatillos, and pretty much everything. Everything we planted was more productive than it ever was before we had bees - well, since the neighboring farmland was turned into subdivisions, anyway. Our entire vegetable garden is within about 25' or less of the hive stand. The only thing that seems to be getting ignored is the gardener.

Nice to hear that all these stuff from your guys. It will helps honey bees to make large amount of honey.

Did I hear correctly at my local bee assoc. that bees will starve if they only have cuke blooms to work? Maybe they can't use the pollen/nectar? I may research that. I'm sure, though, that you have lots more than just cucumbers .....

Just like we need a balanced source of protein (like, not just beans, or not just peanut butter), so it is with bees and pollen. Pollen is how baby bees go from egg to bee... sure nectar/honey is important, but pollen equally so. And a varied source of pollen is key.

However, unless your hive is in the middle of 5 acres of cukes (or whatever monocrop you might have), you don't have to worry about them having too few sources of pollen! They can travel 1 mile away, which includes a huge area in 1 mile squared. Just take a 10 min walk (that's 1/2 mile)! in every direction and catalog what could be accessed by YOUR bees! They are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by trishbookworm View Post
    Just like we need a balanced source of protein (like, not just beans, or not just peanut butter), so it is with bees and pollen. Pollen is how baby bees go from egg to bee... sure nectar/honey is important, but pollen equally so. And a varied source of pollen is key.

However, unless your hive is in the middle of 5 acres of cukes (or whatever monocrop you might have), you don't have to worry about them having too few sources of pollen! They can travel 1 mile away, which includes a huge area in 1 mile squared. Just take a 10 min walk (that's 1/2 mile)! in every direction and catalog what could be accessed by YOUR bees! They are amazing.
    Thx for the reply; what I'm thinking about, though, is if cuke pollen/nectar is nutritionally useless to bees. At the assoc. meeting, I recall the old-timers saying that most flowers -- of whatever variety -- are fine for the girls, but cuke blooms (while the plants benefit from the pollination) do them no good. I've also heard that Carolina jasmine -- of which I have lots -- is actually toxic for them (!?). This is mostly an academic question ....

RE: Cucumbers. Me too! I was just in the garden today and saw honey bees on my cucumber flowers while I was collecting some to eat and took notice. My cucumbers are so prolific I can't believe it. Best I've seen - it must be my new bees.

Cyan, I hear you on the water shortage in PA though...

Since adding bees to the property, our apple crop has exploded. One very old apple tree produced so many apples this year that it snapped the top 15 feet off due to the excessive weight. The apples are still quite small and we have been thinning hoping to not break off more branches.

Loravh, mine are in my garden and they work everything, including things 4 ft in front of the hive20160522_174658.jpg

Honeybees attract other pollinators. There has to be at least 10 species of them in my yard at any given time.
    Right now we have lemon balm in bloom and some sort of odd little black bees are working the heck out of it. My honeybees are ignoring it.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron