Hybrid View

Default Bee lining/hunting?

My son and I are going to try to locate some feral hives to get us started. We live in part of the Mark Twain Forest. Does any one have any input on lining/hunting bee's? We have located one swarm but it is 36' up the tree. We will be setting traps around this one. Any thought's would be great.

Jim

Default Re: Bee lining/hunting?

My uncle in the hills of Kentucky used to catch several, turn one loose at a time and follow till they lost it. Then he released another and another. He used toilet paper to mark the trail. He found a lot this way. He had a little box with a screen he kept them in.

if you have located 1 then it was made by 1 set a few traps in that area it is a lot like fishing

BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

I tried beelining without much success. I made a device for sucking bees off flowers that worked great.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/Michael...16212584044674
    But when I released them they would spiral upward like the books say and then my eyes were not quick enough to see which direction their beeline went. Maybe your son's eyes will be quicker. Good luck.

Last summer, a friend and I took empty water bottles and caught bees from a single source of bushes that were in bloom. We used a GPS to mark are location. WE would then let the bees go one at a time. It was tough to follow them as they circled several times before they went straight. (We hoped back to the hive) We used a compass for a bearing the bee flew.We then went to another location not too far away, and released more. We were usually able to get a couple of "lines". Repeated one more time. Each time we marked our location with GPS and got a "Bee bearing" In this way, you can triangulate. I used Google earth to plot location and bearings. The lines will cross at some point. The more bearing you have, the more accurate. The information I got from this was, there must be a feral hive in those woods within a 1/4 mile radius. of where my lines crossed.(accuracy was hard to manage) There are no houses anywhere near that area. Since it was summer, I opted to wait till spring before the leaves came out to look for flying bees. I think at least, I have a good location for a swarm trap This bee lining technique is all on the internet. Search bee lining and you will find it.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelShantz View Post
    I Maybe your son's eyes will be quicker. Good luck.
    Shake some powdered sugar on them.....................makes them a lot easier to follow!
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers