Thread: Revisit quoting

Default Revisit quoting

First, let me say I don't completely understand the reason that quoting can get users flagged. However, given the current policy, I believe that members have created an unfortunate workaround. The workaround, which I see often, involves either using colored text, or text set off by some type of delimiter, e.g., >> to reference other people's text. The problem with these workaround approaches is that they obscure the benefits of quoting. To me quoting, using the "reply with quote" does several things. It provides direct context of the reply, it gives the reader a direct reference to who made the quote, and gives the reader a chance to got back and find the entire post. The workaround approach forces the reader to dig back through the previous posts to pull out who made the original statement - very cumbersome. I urge the forum managers to consider lightening the restrictions on quoting rules.

Default Re: Revisit quoting

Personally, I have been. Unless it's a full quote of a previous post or quoting an enormous amount just to say "I agree", I've been letting it slide.
    Regards, Barry

The last day or so I've posted more than I have in a while, but due to the flag throwing I've incurred in the past when I might quote a 4-5 line paragraph I'm making an effort to post less so I don't mess up and quote too much...

ETA: What a nice run-on sentence!!

I was used to a different forum where you highlight the part you wanted to quote and then hit the quote button. So I did that when I first came here. But the forum software quoted the whole thing and I didn't notice. I mean it quoted 2 whole sentences when I had highlighted only one sentence. Got my butt jumped for the extra sentence!

If it is going to be such an issue, and it seems that it is, it would be easier to just turn the quote thing off completely and be done with it.
    Old Guy in Alabama

As a mod, I try to be careful when dealing with this. In my opinion, the worst is a whole paragraph getting quoted followed by something like "ditto" at the end of the post. This is one of the things Barry mentioned. I'll try and be more careful so that the conversations stay meaningful. Let me know if I get too heavy with edits!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

It's still expected that members will actually read the forum rules and learn how all the functions/buttons work. I have little patience for laziness.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    ... and learn how all the functions/buttons work.
    Hmm, I have earlier read all the material at the links indicated. But I cannot figure out the significance of the pink / blue icons (look like an envelope) that are on the very left side of the "New Posts" page. Why are the icons on some threads blue and others pink?

As far as quoting, when composing a reply, its not possible to know whether your reply will end up immediately following the post you are responding to, of whether some other post (perhaps responding to a different question raised earlier in the thread) will ultimately separate your reply from its "question". If they end up separated, sometimes the reply is difficult to understand without the context of the question immediately above.

For those who do use quoting, a tip: When editing out the unnecessary material from the quote, make sure that you don't change the "BB Code" that controls the quote function. The quote needs to have the closing code [/QUOTE] to work properly. The general quote structure must be similar to this:

Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

At the bottom left of all index pages is an icon legend.
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/foru...?240-Bee-Forum

Glad you mentioned this as I see the custom icons I was using have been written over with the upgrades. I'll get my custom ones back.

I understand the issue of a preceding post being placed at the bottom of the previous page. That is why the rules say

"very rarely do you ever need to quote the entire message from a previous post. Simply quote the relevant portion and cut out the rest."

If everyone would do this the forums would be much easier to read. One wouldn't have to read through an entire quote and find (usually) the small portion that the member is replying to. Either way, I've been loosening the restrictions on quoting, partly because I don't have the time.
    Regards, Barry