Thread: Revisit quoting

Hybrid View

Default Revisit quoting

First, let me say I don't completely understand the reason that quoting can get users flagged. However, given the current policy, I believe that members have created an unfortunate workaround. The workaround, which I see often, involves either using colored text, or text set off by some type of delimiter, e.g., >> to reference other people's text. The problem with these workaround approaches is that they obscure the benefits of quoting. To me quoting, using the "reply with quote" does several things. It provides direct context of the reply, it gives the reader a direct reference to who made the quote, and gives the reader a chance to got back and find the entire post. The workaround approach forces the reader to dig back through the previous posts to pull out who made the original statement - very cumbersome. I urge the forum managers to consider lightening the restrictions on quoting rules.

Default Re: Revisit quoting

Personally, I have been. Unless it's a full quote of a previous post or quoting an enormous amount just to say "I agree", I've been letting it slide.
    Regards, Barry

The last day or so I've posted more than I have in a while, but due to the flag throwing I've incurred in the past when I might quote a 4-5 line paragraph I'm making an effort to post less so I don't mess up and quote too much...

ETA: What a nice run-on sentence!!

I was used to a different forum where you highlight the part you wanted to quote and then hit the quote button. So I did that when I first came here. But the forum software quoted the whole thing and I didn't notice. I mean it quoted 2 whole sentences when I had highlighted only one sentence. Got my butt jumped for the extra sentence!

If it is going to be such an issue, and it seems that it is, it would be easier to just turn the quote thing off completely and be done with it.
    Old Guy in Alabama

As a mod, I try to be careful when dealing with this. In my opinion, the worst is a whole paragraph getting quoted followed by something like "ditto" at the end of the post. This is one of the things Barry mentioned. I'll try and be more careful so that the conversations stay meaningful. Let me know if I get too heavy with edits!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

It's still expected that members will actually read the forum rules and learn how all the functions/buttons work. I have little patience for laziness.
    Regards, Barry