Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How to attach strip of foundation to frames

I want to use a strip of foundation as a guide for the bees, im wondering if you guys have any tips for this. My father use to nail it in but im looking for alternatives. Or if you guys suggest something else other than a strip of foudation im all ears. Thanks

Default Re: How to attach strip of foundation to frames

If you have wedged topbars, you can pin it in with the wedge, or you can pour a bead of wax in and set the strip in it. You could also use popsicle sticks or something else you may have around.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

There is a tool made expecially for this, I think Dadant sells them. Called a "Wax Tube Fastener"

See the following Blog post and video about how to use:

http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/2...stener_26.html

Linda has lots of good information on her blog, look around while you are there.

I'd rather use wood strips. But when I have used wax strips I've used the Wax Tube Fastener. It used to only be available from Walter T. Kelley, but now Dadant has it as well as some others. It used to be called the "Van Deusen Wax Tube Fastener" after the inventor.

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/WaxTubeFastener.JPG

For just a few you can get by with a table spoon that has been bent to have a spout and scooping and pouring small amounts of beeswax with that.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

When I use starter strips of beeswax foundation, or even sheets of beeswax foundation, I prefer grooved top bars, so I fasten the beeswax foundation strip or sheet into the top groove by holding the frame upside-down and using a cheap paintbrush dipped in molten beeswax, I dab the liquid beeswax into the groove, around the foundation, it fills the groove between the beeswax foundation and the wood of the top bar, I do both sides and let it thoroughly cool down before turning it right-side-up. This has worked very well.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I'd rather use wood strips. But when I have used wax strips I've used the Wax Tube Fastener. It used to only be available from Walter T. Kelley, but now Dadant has it as well as some others. It used to be called the "Van Deusen Wax Tube Fastener" after the inventor.

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/WaxTubeFastener.JPG

For just a few you can get by with a table spoon that has been bent to have a spout and scooping and pouring small amounts of beeswax with that.
    I read from your website that foundation strips were fine and since my father use to do the same I was going that route. Now that you say to use the wood strips , I was curious about using popsicles stick and using a glue gun to set them in the groove. What do yall say about that?

The strips of wax foundation work fine. The strips of wood (popscicle sticks etc.) work as well but last longer. You only have to put them in once.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    The strips of wax foundation work fine. The strips of wood (popscicle sticks etc.) work as well but last longer. You only have to put them in once.
    Would using a glue gun be fine ? Do I need 1 popsicle stick in the middle or a couple across the top? Thanks for the responses

I tried the hot melt glue. The humidity inside the hive quickly caused it to fail. I cannot explain why, but the hot melt glue does not work on wooden bee equipment inside beehives.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

That would seem reasonable Joseph as the hot melt does not actually penetrate the timber just sits on the surface. So moisture would undermine it.

However, for my mating nucs which are natural comb, I attach wax foundation strips with hot melt glue, actually faster than using melted wax. Maybe the glue fails in time I don't know. But it does last long enough for the bees to build comb and get it attached in it's own right, so even if the glue fails the comb is still attached. I only use a few small drops of glue so the bees can attach most of the comb direct to the timber without relying on the glue, just in case it eventually fails.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    I tried the hot melt glue. The humidity inside the hive quickly caused it to fail. I cannot explain why, but the hot melt glue does not work on wooden bee equipment inside beehives.
    Thanks...Thats the answer I was looking for. Wasnt sure if the glue would bond well.

Quote Originally Posted by PAHunter62 View Post
    There is a tool made expecially for this, I think Dadant sells them. Called a "Wax Tube Fastener"

See the following Blog post and video about how to use:

http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/2...stener_26.html

Linda has lots of good information on her blog, look around while you are there.
    Thanks for the video. Think I could use a syringe to substitue the fastener?

I have used the wax tub fastener. It worked well. With that said, I later converted to just using wood strips glued into a grooved top bar. Last year I painted the strip and top bar with wax. This year I plan to just install the wood strip and take them to the hive. To me it's all about my time and taking an approach that will last.

Quote Originally Posted by PAHunter62 View Post
    I have used the wax tub fastener. It worked well. With that said, I later converted to just using wood strips glued into a grooved top bar. Last year I painted the strip and top bar with wax. This year I plan to just install the wood strip and take them to the hive. To me it's all about my time and taking an approach that will last.
    What type of glue do you use?

I like to try and keep things simple. I cut an approximately 2 inch wide strip about 6 inches long (the width of medium foundation), fold it in half lengthwise, pop it into the top bar groove and touch over it briefly on both sides with my propane torch. Melts the foundation wax in the groove enough to hold while the bees use it as a guide - soon after they have completely encompassed it with their own comb and everything attaches nicely.

This year however, I decided to go with wedge top bars, flipped sideways as a wooden guide.
    Jim Andersen
    Desert Viking Ranch

Quote Originally Posted by MoisesFromL.A View Post
    What type of glue do you use?
    Same as I use for everything else, a little titebond III.

Do I need 1 popsicle stick in the middle or a couple across the top?
    I have the same question.
    Buzz Abbott
    USDA zone 11a, Western Garden zone 24 (75 ft elev. n34.0w118.47)

I put them all the way across. Well, in truth, I use three because that's what fits, but from what I've heard, long topbars can result in the ends of the comb curving as if to encircle the brood nest. I don't have any top bar hives but I've seen it done.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Think I could use a syringe to substitue the fastener?
    I used a childs medicine syringe and it worked pretty well. Sometimes the tube fills up and solidifies a bit but you just work in some hot wax and you're good. I did order the fastener this year but as I said the syringe works pretty well.

~Matt

I'm going to use Popsicle sticks glued into the groove. I was thinking of using silicon window seal (the kind in a tube with a gun) Are there glues that I should not use due to toxicity or other reasons? Also, I find that some of my grooves are wider and/or deeper than others. How much effort should I put into keeping the sticks at right angles to the bar? What is the least amount the stick should protrude?
    Buzz Abbott
    USDA zone 11a, Western Garden zone 24 (75 ft elev. n34.0w118.47)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast