Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Upper/ top entrance design -- Korschgen

Quote Originally Posted by davo View Post
    Ok, I got around to taking pictures. I hope this works.

Attachment 4628Attachment 4629Attachment 4630
    Those are nice Davo!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Picture is worth a thousand words. That's what I was thinking of. Although I was thinkning of a cover that would extend a couple extra inches in the front for more protection from rain.

If you wanted to make an awning, you could attach the cut-out to the top lip of the cover instead of onto the top super. The unevenness of the aluminum might require caulking. I would probably drill two small pilot holes through the front of the notched out cover, apply silicone or construction adhesive, then put two wood screws in from the inside of the lid. That's basically what I did with the landing pad using wood glue.

Or, use a longer strip of 1'' board across the whole front of the lid.

When I made them, I wanted to be able to flip the inner cover over if I needed to close up the hive for transportation. I also didn't want to have to buy new equipment. Modifying the parts I had was easy and didn't cost extra.
    Last edited by davo; 03-12-2013 at 08:03 AM.

Maybe I missed it but are there any issues with bees building burr or bridge comb from the top bars to the cover? If not I am going to try a couple this year.
    "Someday we will look back and realize someone was right...and conveniently forget we were the ones that were wrong."

Bridge comb will be a function of the characteristics of the bees, of the amount of space available, and of the amount of nectar coming in.

In my case, when I keep the hive large enough (supers added or left to assure bees don't run out of space) no problems. If a hive is not supered at the correct time you will certainly get comb built up in that space. Fortunately since there is a limited space, it's not that big of a deal to clean up. I haven't had it happen in a few years.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Bridge comb was my biggest question about this whole thing. I was considering filling in part or all of the extra space created by the inner cover and shims with plywood.

This is my first attempt at modifying covers.

edit: S. Parker, I just now started reading your equipment link. It's extremely informative and good food for thought.
    (http://parkerfarms.biz/equipment.htm...ized_Equipment)
    Last edited by davo; 03-12-2013 at 10:37 AM.