Default Top Hive Feeder vs Ants

I want/need to feed my bees and I really like the FBM feeders. The potential problem is Ants. I have ants that eat the carcasses of the few dead bees around the hive. However, if I start placing sugar water in my hives will that create a potentially disastrous situation for my bees?

Default Re: Top Hive Feeder vs Ants

I battled the same fear as you...saw tons of black and red ants and ant hills all around the ground near my hives and worried that they would take over...

short answer, if the hive is healthy and populous, they will keep ants out of the hive. An ant or two may sneak in under the top cover but not an invasion.

the ants are helpful by cleaning up the dead bees!
    Zone 7a

Quote Originally Posted by phyber View Post
    I battled the same fear as you...saw tons of black and red ants and ant hills all around the ground near my hives and worried that they would take over...

short answer, if the hive is healthy and populous, they will keep ants out of the hive. An ant or two may sneak in under the top cover but not an invasion.

the ants are helpful by cleaning up the dead bees!
    I see your point ... but a couple of my hives are recently transplanted 5 frame nuc swarm traps that have yet to draw out a full 10 frames. Do you thin they will be strong enough?

I'd guess as long as there's enough bees to cover the interior of the hive (no spots where invaders could hide) then yes. Also likely in a few days/weeks you'll have some new bees emerging to up the ranks.
    Zone 7a

I guess it depends on the type of ants. I have very tiny black ants that will over take a hive and make it abscond. These ants go after protein as well as carbohydrates.
    "A good day is when no one shows up and you don't have to go anywhere." - Burt Shavitz (Burt's Buzz)

Well, I use foundationless frames so the bees only cover what they have built. As far as types of ants ... we have copious amounts of fire ants, but I'm confidant that they're not fire ants. I think I'll just build a test feeder and place it in my strong hive an monitor what transpires. :-)

Even with fire ants, when I use hive top feeders, the ants go up the outside of the hive and into the feeder. Usually a lot drown in the syrup and I have to clean it out but they don't try to get into the hive itself.
    "Sometimes the best action is no action at all."