Thread: 1st Extacting?

Northwood, New Hampshire

Default 1st Extacting?

Hey Everyone; This is my fifth year with the Hobby and will be my first at extracting my own Honey.
    I have three Hives. During my last inspection it looks like I should be harvesting about five Mediums.
    Will be purchasing the Maxant 1100P model.
    My Question is concerning decaping. I am really considering using my Heat Gun. At least for this first time.
    I really need to do the Process inside my house. I do not have an area for a large sink type de cap unit to Use under a cap removal knife, straining area etc.
    Plus I'm a little gun shy with using a Knife, never used one for this, I have only seen it done a few times and do not want to have a Disaster.
    Any suggestions regarding using a Knife vs Heat Gun for a first timer?
    Should I go with a knife, are there any cap catch units available that are small, portable to get the Job done the right way?

Rader, Greene County, Tennessee, USA

Default Re: 1st Extacting?

See this thread for a homemade, inexpensive, easily portable uncapping tank ...
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I know someone that did it for a long time in a large cooler that he owned. When he was done for the night just close the lid. Put a board under the one end to drain the capping of honey.

Champaign, Illinois

The rubbermaid totes nest. Drill some holes in the upper one and you have a nice capping station.
    I have a long knife that I sharpen with a steel. Using a sawing motion I can uncap with that cold knife as quickly and as neatly as any method and I've tried several. The heat gun is cool but is a waste of time imo. (I tried it on the knife and to uncap both)

We tend to want to overcomplicate and buy cool stuff we don't really need. Making your own is much more satisfying.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

North Florida

Use a regular dinner fork and just scratch the caps open. Quick and easy.