Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Update on narrow frames from Kelley

http://app.newpanda.com/public/share...2%20-Large.pdf

Email if you're interested in Kelley producing narrow frames.

Also an article by Michael Bush.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Default Re: Update on narrow frames from Kelley

Thanks for the heads up. When ordering frames from Kelley's back in Oct., I asked about narrow frames and was told they could make them but there would be an additional charge and a delay in delivery. I wouldn't have minded paying a little extra at the time because I was planning to take delivery (free of charge) at the Tennessee Beekeepers Assoc. convention in late Oct. Unfortunately, they couldn't fill the special order in time for the convention so I ended up taking their standard foundationless frames. Glad to read they are considering adding the 1.25 frames to the catalog, and have sent them an email stating so. Thanks again, Solomon.

Does anyone have any recent info concerning Kelley selling narrow frames?
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    Does anyone have any recent info concerning Kelley selling narrow frames?
    I found this:

https://kelleybees.com/blog/2012/04/...es-a-decision/
    BeeCurious

I will be happy to see the narrow frames available as well. I only run them in the brood boxes though.
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”

I received the following from W.T. Kelley :

" This is going to end up to be a fall project at Kelley’s but we are going to do it. Business growth has been good this year and our production schedule is packed right now.. We will be sure to put it both in the newsletter as well as on the web."
    BeeCurious

Does anyone know if Kelley's are going to offer numerous styles of narrow frames?

Foundationless
    Grooved top and bottom bars
    Etc. etc....
    BeeCurious

To start off with we will only have the divided BB wedge TB. I reviewed these with Michael Bush at HAS and we were making a bit to thin. We have the specs now and will start production next month. There will be limitied quantities on startup - but should have some equipment built by spring.

Excellent - I made over 2,000 narrow foundationless frames this year and I'm sick of making them from scratch. Let me know when they are available please.

Don Semple
    don-gaylesemple@sbcglobal.net

Why would you want a grooved or divided bottom bar on a foundationless frame? The groove is to fit foundation into, which you won't be using. A solid bottom bar is stronger and cheaper to build. One less cut.

When they come out, I will put in a small order, a few dozen, then we'll go from there.

Great to hear about a company responsive to its customers' requests. I hope you make money on the deal.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Why would you want a grooved or divided bottom bar on a foundationless frame? The groove is to fit foundation into, which you won't be using. A solid bottom bar is stronger and cheaper to build. One less cut.
    I have some hives with narrow frames. Some are grooved top and bottom, others are PF-120's.

I called Kelley's a few days ago and was told that grooved top and bottom bars were going to be made. I guess later on.

Narrow frame use doesn't necessarily mean "foundationless".
    BeeCurious

Odfrank -

You did not read the post correctly it is wedge top bars & divided bottom bars -- not sure where you got foundationless from -- however if you pop the wedge and turn - paint with wax they will work as foundationless. These will be the 1st frames available.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleybees View Post
    Odfrank You did not read the post correctly
    Yes, excuse me... I am old and confused. I was envisioning a narrow frame with your foundationless wedge topbar...the ultimate frame for the new age, treatment free, natural cell size, Michael Bush disciple beekeeper. In fact, it is my recommendation that the narrow frame can be bought with a foundationless topbar. It would be the langstroth frame for the natural comb, topbar crowd. I will order 100.

I have some hives with narrow frames. Some are grooved top and bottom, others are PF-120's.

I called Kelley's a few days ago and was told that grooved top and bottom bars were going to be made. I guess later on.

Narrow frame use doesn't necessarily mean "foundationless".
    I will be looking forward to the grooved top and bottom bars as well
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Yes, excuse me... I am old and confused. I was envisioning a narrow frame with your foundationless wedge topbar...the ultimate frame for the new age, treatment free, natural cell size, Michael Bush disciple beekeeper. In fact, it is my recommendation that the narrow frame can be bought with a foundationless topbar. It would be the langstroth frame for the natural comb, topbar crowd. I will order 100.
    I read it the way you did, odfrank. Guess we should pay more attention

I agree though, I would love to see the narrow frame with the foundationless top bar.

Of my three hives, one is what might be called a Michael Bush Disciple's bee hive, and the other two are standard 10-frame, Ritecell Langstroth's. I have a few years before I can expand past three hives, so I'm trying to decide which way to go at that time

The narrow end bars are completed, they will go with any design top bar, bottom bar you choose. They are going to be sold only in packs of 100 and will be listed in frame parts in the 2013 catalog. If you would like to order before then please email sales at Kelley. Request the 82Thin. These are only available in deep 9 1/8 end bars. If there is a huge demand we will consider doing medium.

I may be wrong, but I believe the majority of the people interested in narrow frames would be wanting mediums...

I suspect that buying topbars and bottom bars separately will make this much more expensive.
    BeeCurious

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleybees View Post
    The narrow end bars are completed, they will go with any design top bar, bottom bar you choose. They are going to be sold only in packs of 100 and will be listed in frame parts in the 2013 catalog. If you would like to order before then please email sales at Kelley. Request the 82Thin. These are only available in deep 9 1/8 end bars. If there is a huge demand we will consider doing medium.
    Excellent news! Hopefully they will be available in smaller quantities for hobbyists like me. Would it make sense for them to be available in multiples of twenty two? Or maybe that would take special packaging equipment. I hope you have success with this new product line. Thank you for taking the initiative to provide a resource for factory made narrow frames.

I suspect that buying topbars and bottom bars separately will make this much more expensive.
    I've corrected this post................

The cost per 100 endbars is currently $21.00 (enough for 50 frames)

So for 100 frames, the increase in cost will be about $24.00

If you are interested in buying mediums, call W.T. Kelley and ask to speak with Jennifer.
    Last edited by BeeCurious; 09-14-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: correction
    BeeCurious

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast