Default Screen Type For Package Bee Cages?

I am going to build some (ok alot) of package bee cages to produce package bees. Does anybody know the type of screen that is commonly used? I know its a 10 mesh or smaller screen but of what type of material and where could I get some?

Thanks,

Willie

Default Re: Screen Type For Package Bee Cages?

I think wire screen door screen is typical. I've seen some with the fiberglass kind, but that can get a hole poked in it and then what? A lot of it is black and some of it is galvanized. Since you're not planning for the long term, the cheapest would probably be best... Do you have a cage to look at? Over they years they have been perfected to be easy to build and cheap to make. You might want a sample to work from. Most look like they are made from resawn boards that are cut down to 3/8" thick.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Hi Michael,

I actually would like to do it long term so I don't have to keep building them. Poking a hole is exactly the problem I am trying to avoid. Angry customers aren't fun!

Where the heck do you buy coated galvanized screen that small in the U.S? Found it in China, but I want to buy US made if I can. I have a bunch of different samples of cages I am working with to get something that is similar and better. The best wood I could find was from a local sawmill that produces pallet boards and they are almost the perfect size. I just have to run them through my planner once to get it to perfect thickness.

Willie

Why build them? They are super cheap to buy. You can get them from Rossman's.

Typically they run a 2x through a resaw to get the 3/8th thick boards.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Lowes has aluminum window screen tinted charcoal for about $110 for a 4x100 ft roll

I have alot of free wood and its a good winter project when I am building equipment. I have the canning machine and all that, plus I'm a beekeeper so I gotta be cheap. With pretty much a full wood shop I might as well.

I recall that not too long ago Wilbanks bought in such large quantities that he sold screening to other package bee suppliers. Check with them. If not successful, let me know.
    Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc. Manufacturers of round section comb equipment and Sundance Pollen Traps.

Hi Lloyd,

Thanks for the tip! I called they said they didn't sell it anymore but they did tell me where they got it and what they used.

Thank you everybody for the help!

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by WilliesHoneyCo View Post
    Hi Lloyd,

Thanks for the tip! I called they said they didn't sell it anymore but they did tell me where they got it and what they used.

Thank you everybody for the help!

Willie
    So what was it, and where?

It is Aluminum screen that is coated with black epoxy, from New York Wire

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    Why build them? They are super cheap to buy. You can get them from Rossman's.
    I couldn't find them listed for sale on Rossman's website. Are you sure they sell them?

The ones I bought had a double layer of nylon or similar mesh. Bees couldn't sting through it. It was a tough material.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

I am pretty sure you have to call up for stuff like that. Its probably not on the website, its more for commercial sales.