Thread: pollen patties

Default pollen patties

Help me out with pollen patties guys and gals, what do i need for my to new bee packages this apr, down here in semo??

Default Re: pollen patties

Sugar syrup is all you will need for those packages.

I'm a little north of you and hived my packages about May 1 last year (I think). I split a pollen patty over my three new packages. They all disposed of them in some way. In retrospect, I don't know if the pollen patty was really necessary or if I'll do it again with a package because at that time they should be able to forage. I'd feed syrup for sure.

I will note that some people sell a pollen patty with each package (notably Honey Glow Farms near me) and those people likely know more than I do about bees.

Syrup, especially if starting on foundation. They will stop taking it when they no longer need it. IF natural pollen is available, save your money (See QA section in this months ABJ).

Agreed that if natural pollen is available there is no pressing need to feed pollen patties.

In New England, we have sometimes weeks of cold wet weather in the spring. A new package will benefit from pollen patties if they cant forage due to the weather.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

You should have plenty of pollen available by April. Patties are generally used for early-spring build up of over-wintered colonies.

Also, many in the south note that Small Hive Beetles love pollen patties!

If pollen is available don't bother with patties.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"