Default Getting feral bees from downed log

About a month ago I received a call about a tree that came down in a bad storm. The temperature was 38 degrees when we checked out the feral colony in the piece of trunk on the ground. The log was in pretty bad shape - split and broken (we secured some pieces with screws and a strap). My bee mentor (50 years experience) and I cut the other end and because of the weather moved log, bees and all to my bee yard. Because of the damage to the log, I covered the log with a moving blanket and tarp and laid it on a skid sitting on concrete blocks. We didn't know if the bees would survive... but they did.

Now I have a horizontal log full of bees - doing well. It would not really be possible to sit the log on end and place a hive body on top because of the damage. It is still cold here in Ohio, but they find their way around on warm days.

The $64,000 question? How in the world do I get them out of the log and into a hive EASILY? Can I block all entrances but one on top (Which could be difficult to do)and find a way to mount a piece of plywood with a super on top over that entrance so they have to move through the super? Will the queen move up?

I am relatively new and am at a loss.

Default Re: Getting feral bees from downed log

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so here is the how to:-)
    smallbeetree1.JPG
    smallbeetree2.JPG
    smallbeetree3.JPG

I cant find the photos with the chainsaw or the rubberbands for putting the comb in frames but thats pretty much all you need.

Come spring trap them out

Tommyt

I have done a cutout on a column and did the rubber bands. I am not a fan myself, if i can do something else, i would rather.

If you don't want to sue rubber bands, you can make swarm catching frames:

http://www.beesource.com/files/swarmfrm1.pdf