Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

bait hive by new bee. will it work?

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  kentuckyjeff 
#1 ·
Not many bees flying here in western ky, yet but warm temps, won't bee long now. i'm new but thanks to this site and few other resources i'm very excited for spring have built my own langs and three of these bait hives over the winter. want to catch my own bees. anyone trying to catch swarms in ky area? Would like to know if my traps have a chance? Will also be using LGO. Http:www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NLcPTeOAxA

#4 ·
In the one bait hive that I used foundationless deep frames, they all collapsed when I moved it. It is a nice box but....I would have just used a regular deep box with a plywood top and bottom and saved myself a lot of work and wood.

#6 ·
thanks to all replies, they are all apriciated, this is a learning pocess for me. my nice box is just a hobby project i'm in commerial construction business {jobsite formen} i got a bunch of bookcase shelves that came off a job last year. all my materials were free. just time involved also made three langs with 2deeps 2shallows from same wood, and the 3 baithives. they are cabinet grade3/4 ply lil heavy but think they will last. i know older wood is better for bait hives. p. s. didn't have any deeps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.