Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help my uncle

Default Help my uncle

Hello all~
    I was hoping that this community would be able to help me out a bit. I have an uncle in Mexico who asked me if I could find places that would buy his honey. Everywhere I look I have to pay to sign up for websites that have bulk honey buyer contact information. I was wondering if anyone here knew any companies that would be willing to buy his honey or import it or whatever it is they do; I'm not super sure how it all works. He says he has 35 tons of honey and if I get him info I get some cash for helping :P

Default Re: Help my uncle

Good luck I sure wouldn't help they use all kinds of dangerous chemicals in Mexico that are illegal in other countries no regulation no nothing. Those chemicals are in the honey produced there. Sounds like alot of work for nothing to me. Maybe you can do like the Chinese and talk to cereal companies and or companies that buy honey inferior quality honey. Then if you can get it across the border you will be home free but you shouldn't expect anyone in this country who works with honey and or bees to care. Get it already wasted enough time on this.

Maybe India can move it for him. They did good things for China ;-)

This may or may not be legit. If it is I wish him luck from a personal standpoint if not let me guess, first I have to send someone some money right?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Maybe if I hadn't mentioned mexico I'd actually would have gotten some helpful responses :D~

Elothiam, it is more likely that it is because the subject of imported honey is controversial with beekeepers. Cheap imported honey depresses prices, and beekeepers.

Don't Mexicans buy honey?

Quote Originally Posted by Elothiam View Post
    Maybe if I hadn't mentioned mexico I'd actually would have gotten some helpful responses ~
    I am in favor of everyone in the world having the right to market their product through proper channels. There is a legitimate process for importing honey into the US from Mexico. I don't know what it is but I would be surprised that someone with that much honey wouldn't have some marketing connections. Currently there is a world wide shortage of honey. How has he sold his honey in years past? If this honey is clean and legit. It shouldn't be much of a problem. This is what makes this post a bit suspect to me.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Elothiam, in the northern states of Mexico, you can sell quarts for $10.00 dollars. Maybe a better option to retail than to wholesale.
    SAGARPA, -the agricultural Mexican ministry, has a list of buyers if you want to wholesale, the price is about $1.68 US Dollars.

These are links to buyers, prices and general information in central Mexico.

http://www.noticiasapicolas.com/economia.htm
    http://www.apinews.com/es/directorio...-a-de-c-v-_918
    http://queretaroc.anunciosya.com.mx/...queretaro-f8UY
    http://www.amsda.com.mx/PREstatales/...PREapicola.pdf

Aurelio Paez
    DBA Michas Honey House

This is not about country or race my friend. This is about the huge amount of tainted honey that is aimed at the United States Market. I don't know if your uncles honey is good or not. I wish you and him well.
    Maybe if I hadn't mentioned mexico I'd actually would have gotten some helpful responses ~

Thank you very much Aurelio you've been tons of help. As far as everything else I have no idea what kind of honey it is, what kind of condition it is in, or how he's got so much; everything I know about it is in the first post. I was just trying to help out a family member. I understand now that it's a sore subject for beekeepers but I feel like people are blaming these people that produce inferior quality product but they wouldn't need to do so if someone wasn't buying. Efforts should be focused on educating the public on what's really happening.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-23-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: language

Thank you very much Aurelio....I was just trying to help out a family member.
    Really! The man was only asking for help, and not a lecture. Is this not an international forum and aren't we one community?

MIchael, did I do something wrong? If I did, it was not my intention. I only gave him contacts for selling in Mexico, gave him the current going prices and regulations for selling.
    His uncle is in the state of Guerrero, this is close to the border with Guatemala, the logical thing is to sell as close to him as possible. By giving him contact information from buyers just a few hundred miles from him, will save him money on shipping. Minimum wages in Mexico are $62.33 pesos per day, peso exchange rate is $12.80 per one dollar.
    The retail prices for honey retail, is $100.00 to $150.00 pesos per quart, so it takes two days of wages to buy one quart of honey for the regular worker.

I. I what I said comes off as a lecture I apologize. I don't want to be stereotyped as a knee jerk anti import kind of guy.
    http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/fvmhoney.pdf
    As I read it of the approximately 288 million pounds of honey legitimately imported last year over 6 million pounds of it came from Mexico. It's a good thing that we as a nation consume that much honey. That kind of market clearly isn't being satisfied by domestic production.
    To specifically, though, speak to the OP, I must maintain that someone who has an uncle in Mexico that is sitting on approximately $100,000 US dollars worth of production and needs help figuring out what to do with it still strikes me, at best, as a bit odd. If this man through his own hard work has amassed a block of honey this large I want to be the very first one to commend him and wish him the best, he deserves it. Honey production in Mexico can be a pretty tough business.

The logistical challenges that exporting honey entails, is complicated and expensive for the small producer to say the least. Maybe he wants to start exporting? If so, he should contact an international import/export broker to find out about the laws that must be taken into consideration before he can export.
    Last edited by MichaBees; 02-24-2012 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaBees View Post
    MIchael, did I do something wrong? If I did, it was not my intention. I only gave him contacts for selling in Mexico, gave him the current going prices and regulations for selling. .
    Are you asking me? I was trying to say you did exactly right.

I see it from this point in Mexico they use pesticides that have been outlawed in the USA for 20yrs due to dangers to the environment and people. They have few to no regulations when it comes to alot of things. Bees bring this stuff back to the hive and anyone who consumes it well you get the point. I am not saying his honey is poor quality but just look what poor quality honey has cost us the beekeepers in the US and then we look bad. China and the black market and their poor quality has costed this country a fortune and drove prices of honey down. Look at it objectively and the big picture. This is how I see it. Later

Quote Originally Posted by Riverratbees View Post
    I see it from this point in Mexico they use pesticides that have been outlawed in the USA for 20yrs due to dangers to the environment and people. They have few to no regulations when it comes to alot of things. Bees bring this stuff back to the hive and anyone who consumes it well you get the point. I am not saying his honey is poor quality but just look what poor quality honey has cost us the beekeepers in the US and then we look bad. China and the black market and their poor quality has costed this country a fortune and drove prices of honey down. Look at it objectively and the big picture. This is how I see it. Later
    From another point of view you are accusing his uncle of having tainted honey without knowing anything about it except it is from Mexico. That is not objective to use your words. You are implying the honey is tainted with pesticides. You are then linking the honey with poor quality honey from China and "black markets."

You have made some pretty hefty accusations and implications from a posting asking for help marketing honey from Mexico. I don't see where you have any facts to make these accusations.

Tom

If it didn't come from here it should not be sold here ....we have enough problems with our own problems...
    Honeydew

dr.buzz Guest

Here's the solution: The government estimates that between 5,000 and 10,000 Mexicans just walk across the border into America every day. If your uncle gave each of them a quart of honey each, he'd have it all here in less than a week. Americans wouldn't even have to eat it if it's tainted, he could market it to Mexicans living here illegally. 20 million people can eat a lot of honey.
    Just might work...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast