Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Mann Lake vented suit

65K views 133 replies 52 participants last post by  KevinWI 
#1 ·
Is this new vented suit the "Ultra Breeze", or is it a Knock-off? They say "breeze" in the product description.

#5 ·
It looks exactly like my breathable from pigeon mountain trading company, I think I will call them to see if thats where they are getting them, when I feel a little better, got the flu now. The one I have from PMTC is top notch and Mann lake sells top top stuff I would go for it if I didn't already have one. Finaly lower priced breathables!

#15 ·
It looks exactly like my breathable from pigeon mountain trading company<snip>
bh, when wearing your PM suit and you raise your arms above your head in a reaching motion do have plenty of room? Or, do the sleeves "pull down" with a restrictiveness/tightness appearing under the armpits, thus exposing more of your wrists/forearm?

Ed

#7 ·
Charlie B, why don't you buy one and try it? I am sure you could return it if you don't like it. Go to pigeon mountain trading company and look at thiers, I am almost positive it is the same suit. And they garanty satisfaction or 100% refund. I bought one of thiers for$150 and love it, no one on here trusted them, I told everyone to try it. Finally one guy did and he loves his also and posted about it.US fabrics owns P.M.T.C. that is why the price is cheaper than ultrabreeze or golden bee. You have to look at the top left corner where the extractors are listed they are listed as breathables. They have regular suits listed down below it throws most people off. Pigeon mountain was good to deal with and Mann Lake can't be beat for customer service.

#8 ·
I already have an Ultrabreeze jacket but I may need another suit for my stepson. I don't want to pay another $165 so I'm anxious to see if this one from Mann Lake is good. I'll call them.

#9 ·
Was thinking about getting one myself. Looked at Mann Lakes and Pigeon Mtn. Mann Lakes looks like it is a loose knit fabric sandwiched between mesh netting. PM looks like three layers of mesh and looks more "breezy to me. The three layers is what keeps the stings away from your skin. Wouldn't say it was sting proof, but appears it will allow more air to get to you. I bought the PM jacket. Was a couple more dollars than ML only because Mann Lake was shipping for free. ML was out of stock anyway:)

#10 ·
Ok, ok I broke down and bought the Mann Lake vented jacket. I needed and extra one for relatives and friends. The rep at ML couldn't tell me what vendor they're getting them from but she didn't think is was Ultra Breeze. She offered to put me on hold and find out but I declined to wait.

It's interesting that she told me they haven't even received their first batch to sell yet because the vendor was still filling their order and they should be in today to sell. She said I should get mine in 7 days so I'll report back.

#16 ·
Charlie B,
Got mine today. Made in India. Looks like a quality garment though. It appears IMO, to be the same as Mann Lake. Two layers of mesh, with a synthetic 1/8 inch mesh sandwiched. Got the fence hood. Zippers are brass and are tucked in nice for a good seal at the neck. Put some beeswax on the zippers. Work better now. Plan on using it this afternoon. Will check the reach and sleeve, arm pit thing:)

#18 ·
Here goes,:)
I feel like I got my monies worth. The level of protection and the air flow through the suit was very good. Today here was 70 with 15 to 20 mph gusts. I was very comfortable. To predict the summer, I think it will still be hot,,,duh, and unless a breeze is blowing, the suit will only mildly show you comfort. But, weigh that against the protection level, and all is right with the world. Before, I wore veil and hat with gloved sleeves to the elbows and a short sleeved shirt. The bees seemed to find the flesh where the short sleeves met the meat. I took stings to the stomach as it protrudes a little to non craft beer:) I take stings to the thighs and other areas below the waist when the cloth is tight against the body. The leather gloves keep the sting pheromone around I thinks so the need to be washed as needed.
What does this jacket do for me. It is cooler. I was in a T shirt. The protection level is excellent. I won't say impenetrable. I don't know. Close to it. It allows me to wear nitrile gloves which I can dispose of and the sting pheromone issue is gone. I really believe it makes a difference in the reaction of the bees. The wrist part of the jacket has an elastic tab that you put your thumb in. Pretty much keeps the wrist from being exposed. Did me anyway. I didn't do any overhead reaching but to defeat that I would think you would have to get a suit so over sized it would not be comfortable to work with. The zippers are stiff. I put bees wax on them and it is improved. They look quality. I think they will be better as they break in. I had to be conscious of the fence style veil. It wanted to ride on my nose. Disaster waiting to happen. Minor problem solved wearing a ball cap.
Thumbs up from me. :)

#22 ·
From the ad:

we weave the fabric, extrude our own synthetic fabrics, do our own sewing, and market our product directly to you -- we can guarantee the quality of the product that you receive. And, we can set a price that you, our customer, will be sure to love. You can certainly pay more for ventilated bee wear somewhere else, but we do not believe that you can buy a better quality ventilated bee suit.
I tried to upload a pic of the tag inside the collar. No luck. Anyway, MADE IN INDIA Actually since it was brought up, I do remember thinking it was made in America from the ad. I do buy American when I have the option. I could see where someone might get upset over this. Perhaps PM could offer an explanation. Isn't that where Dolly Parton lives? I think I'll give her a shout bout this:)

#24 ·
tsk,
Thank you for posting that link. The product is as they described and I am satisfied with it. No beef there. I guess when you own a company overseas, the non American employees are consider "weeuns" . I know some tractors are "Made in America" but assembled in England I think and so advertised. Anyway. Perhaps a label stating such would go a long way. "Products manufactured is America, Assemble in India". How much more could the label cost?

#26 ·
Ed,

According to the Mann Lake size chart a Medium would have fit me but I ordered an XL just for that reason. We'll see how it fits when I get it. I don't care if it's a little too large. I want it to hang down a bit.

#27 ·
I hear ya Charlie. Recently at the Bee Symposium in Auburn, AL I tried on an imported suit that one of the vendors had there. I tried an XL. Even though it was a bit "bulky" around me (I'm 5'-11' and around 175 pounds) reaching above my head resulted in the sleeve pulling back and exposing wrist and some forearm. Even the guy helping me with the suit said if I got one a size bigger (XXL) it would simply be too big for me in other areas. If I get a suit it will be because I will be doing cut-outs and may find the need for reaching overhead. I haven't started pulling supers of honey, yet, though, so I may find other reasons to get one. ;)

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.