Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Default Re: Mann Lake vented suit

Also, I found the vented material to be rough on your skin.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

I have the suit from Pigeon Mountain. I am planning on buying two more. one for my son and one for my daughter. They helped me with a cut out this weekend and we simply cannot do without them any longer. we are playing in the bees far to often. My son got 5 stings in all mainly due to no good jacket to wear. I got 6 but that is because I work to much with exposed areas or no gear at all. I am thinking of a full seat for times I will be doing a lot of overhead reaching like doing cut outs. I have to find and answer for the veil though. putting one on is like putting on sun glasses at night. it makes it impossible to see into even partially shaded nooks and crannies. I want a veil with a clear plastic viewing window. Preferably replaceable with inexpensive lenses so when they get scratched or dirty you just change them.

The zipper on the pigeon mountain is a bear but gets better with use. it is also backwards or they sent me the ladies version. It is major comfortable at mild temps. I just spent 4 plus hours in ti in the past two days. never broke a sweat. I wear a shirt under it so the roughness is not a problem. My only real complaint is the veil and I woudl have that with any veil. It does soften up a little when washed. I have had one small tear in ti so far which I was able to repair just fine. No wear on the veil after one year. no real wear on the jacket after one year. given I don't expect any jacket to last more than three I think it is doing very well.
    I also own a more typical jacket. my daughter uses it but I consider it a waste of money. TI gets to hot and she has to walk away and take breaks to cool off constantly. She will use my jacket when I am not there and has told me several times it would make a great gift, hint hint
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

I purchased an Ultra Breeze several years ago. They are heavy and I don't think they are very "breezy" on these humid hot summer days. I use it during cutouts and working my bees. Very expensive. After just 1 year the zippers started failing in one direction. In other words, there are 2 zippers on each leg, chest, and head. Either one zips it up or down depending on the current status of the zipper. Now all but the head zipper will only work from one direction. I have to zip the top zipper all the way down the zip both of the zippers up the close the zipper itself. The metal "holder" on the head zipper broke off on one of the zippers.

Needless to say I basically don't have a viable suit. Sometimes I have used gorilla tape to keep the legs together.

I washed the suit a lot as I do a lot of cutouts. The honey, dirt, grime, and phermone from the stingers make it hard to use the suit again. If I don't wash it and go into one of my apiaries, the bees will start attacking me as they smell the pheremone from the stingers that were left behind.

But this type of suit is still much better than the cotton suits that don't breathe at all and bees can sting through them.

I just ordered one from PM. I think it cost me $175. But the UB suit is $259. You can now purchase the UB on Amazon. I googled UB and found that they sell them also at MannLake.

My UB is a large and was too big for me, but I needed the suit ASAP and didn't have the time to return it and get a medium. I am 5'8" and weight about 180. Ordering a med in the PM suit. If it doesn't find correctly, I still have time to get it exchanged.

Hope this helps.
    De Colores,
    Ken

I love my ultrabreeze and have found ub customer service to be nothing short of fantastic. Have you tried to email them about your problems? Id bet they would fix it.

I had a complaint about the veil touching my face. I emailed, and they sent the new design with boning to keep it rigid. Works perfectly and im very happy with the jacket.

Thanks for the comments.
    Last edited by simplynatural; 03-04-2013 at 01:40 PM.

I can't speak about the Pigeon Mountain quality but looking at their site it appears that the only difference is one is a jacket and one is a suit. Yes, you want to order a little bit large. If the suit becomes tight against the skin, you can be stung through it. So, larger works better especially when you are lifting or bending.

I wear a ballcap underneath my hood and the brim of the cap keeps it off your face.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Oh brother, I missed that one - so if you get the suite it is professional quality otherwise who knows *G*.

I did not realize they are $20 more (I was reading too many old posts that said ML was much more expensive), and then $20 shipping on top. So i might just end up going ML and regretting it. Also ML only has hooded and while I have NO experience with either, I do think my overheating husband would probably be more comfortable in a round style. Only one person commented on it being warmer - any other comments on hooded vs. round?

I only use the fencing hood. but my kids have a round hood. they prefer the fencing hood when they can get ahold of it. I have read comments from others that they do not like the restricted peripheral vision of the fencing hood. I don't notice. A ball cap woudl help when looking up.

I wear and extra large tall shirt. I go the extra large jacket and the sleeves are barely long enough when i each. the most common place I get stung is on the wrist where the jacket slides back just a bit. I am worried that an extra large suit will be to short for my 6foot 2 inch body.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

I'm 5' 11" 260 lbs, and my extra large Mann Lake Ventilated suit could be larger. The sleeves aren't long enough, nor is the torso. Squatting down, it binds up. Not terrible, but I should have gotten a bigger suit to grow in to!

I'm looking at the Mann Lake Vented Suit but I am having a heck of a time figuring out what size to order. I was originally considering the large suit, but I am worried that will be WAY to big. I am 5'5" and weigh 168lbs. Using the sizing chart, my weight is greater than the medium suit. That being said I do Crossfit and play Roller Derby so despite my weight, I am a fairly average sized girl (Size 8). There should be a correlation between the suit and ladies pants sizes in the chart for us dummies... lol.

If you go by measurements, it seems that I need the medium suit. I've got a 29 inch inseam. Should I go with the large and then deal with it if it is too big? or go with the Medium and hope it fits? Decisions, decisions. This is my first bee suit. I am a new-bee.

nobody can use a chart to correlate to fem ale pants sizes. As far as I can tell from my wife, females can fit into jeans ranging about 6 or 8 sizes depending on manufacturer. thats pretty hard to work into a meaningful comparison chart.

I would go BIG. it is very easy to resew seams to make areas smaller, and its easy to adjust the leg length...etc. to make them shorter. It's much harder to make suits bigger/longer. I ordered a XXL to have the extra material. my only complaint is that the built in veail is a bit "floppy" but it hasn't bothered me enough to actually fix it just yet. Get a big suit and be happy

My XL Mann Lake vented jacket was too big for me and I'm 5' 10", 190. I wound up getting a L and using the XL for mentoring.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Just a heads up. I tried to order a L or XL Mann lake vented jacket a couple weeks ago and was informed that they won't be available till Aug. They did have XXL in stock. Things may have changed since then though. I ended up ordering a XL Ultra Breeze and it sure is nice but I liked the price of the Mann Lake a hole lot better. Just could not wait till Aug.

Quote Originally Posted by USCBeeMan View Post
    ...I just ordered one from PM. I think it cost me $175. ...
    My PM vented suit stop being bees-proof in the second year. I have no explanation for this, but I am having 5 stings every time I use it recently. Stings are at the shoulders, under arm and at the wrist. I attributed it partially to very "dedicated" (as somebody expressed at beesource) bees, but still, it is not bees-proof anymore. I like the round veil (not fenced) - it is away from the face and it is colder inside. Unfortunately, PM made the fabric part of the round veil from very thin material and you need to wear some hat underneath for bee-protection. I used to recommend this bee-suit last year, not anymore. I feel $170 for one season is too much.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by KPeacock View Post
    nobody can use a chart to correlate to fem ale pants sizes. As far as I can tell from my wife, females can fit into jeans ranging about 6 or 8 sizes depending on manufacturer. thats pretty hard to work into a meaningful comparison chart.
    Well then KPeacock, I will have to get out and do more shopping to experiment. I haven't bought a new pair of jeans in several years. Pretty much all of the pants in my closet are the same size.

Quote Originally Posted by Creekside View Post
    Just a heads up. I tried to order a L or XL Mann lake vented jacket a couple weeks ago and was informed that they won't be available till Aug. They did have XXL in stock. Things may have changed since then though. I ended up ordering a XL Ultra Breeze and it sure is nice but I liked the price of the Mann Lake a hole lot better. Just could not wait till Aug.
    I don't have my hive built yet. That is on my to do list, or should I say, my Husband's to do list. I am great at taking care of the farm, but building things is not a talent that I was granted. I don't think I want to wait until August, I've got some folks who are going to take me out in their bee yards and start letting me get some hands on. I've been told that the Pigeon Mountain suits are fairly good as well. I also saw some Jawadis suits for under 50 bucks. Maybe that would do until Mann Lake has theirs back in stock. I just figured that the 100% cotton suits would be HOT in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by simplynatural View Post
    ... I do think my overheating husband would probably be more comfortable in a round style. Only one person commented on it being warmer - any other comments on hooded vs. round?
    I originally ordered hooded version - I did not like it: to "crowded inside, hot (!), sweaty and limited field of view. I exchanged on round kind and it is much better: mesh is away from the face, a lot of room for some air, feels less claustrophobic. In my particular case (PM vented suit), the round veil design is not great because they used very thin material for the upper part (sort of sombrero) - bees penetrate this easily where the "hat" is sitting on your head. I have to wear additional hat inside to address this issue. It makes things a little bit more complicated and warmer

In general, round veil looks weird, but, it seems to me is better in terms of ventilation and heat. Also, I noticed, that occasional smoke stays in the fenced veil.
    Серёжа, Sergey

After much decision, I decided to order a Mann Lake vented suit. I'm 265 pounds and around 5' 10". I ordered the X Large vented suit. I got it, and while I fit in it, I barely fit. According to the sizing chart, an X Large should fit a person up to 280 pounds. It did not fit me.

I sent it back and ordered a XX large one. I was afraid it would almost be too big for me since the sizing char says it fits a person up to 300 pounds. I received it and it fits okay. I'm still wondering if the XXX Large would have been too big for me.

Their sizing chart doesn't say anything about the XXX Large suit, but then they don't make a Petite vented suit. (Although it lists a petite in the chart. I'm wondering if ordering a vented suit, if the information shouldn't be as such.

Sizing chart Petite Small Medium Large X Large XX Large XL Tall

Vented suit? Then order Small Medium Large X Large XX Large XXX Large

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is to order the next size up in the sizing chart the Mann Lake book says
    Last edited by Northwest PA Beekeeper; 05-21-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Our mann lake was just selling out all the vented jacket stock at $50. We bought 2 jackets for the club but they only had smalls left. You might want to ask about sales at the local branches.
    Are they redesigning them for 2013?
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by cbinstrasburg View Post
    sergey do you mind if I ask how big you are and what size you wound up getting...thanks
    Oooo old post. I am 180 lb and 6' tall. I believe, my current PM vented beesuit is size L. I ordered originally XL and it was gigantic. I exchanged it on smaller one. This current one fits me well, it is long enough, which is most important to me. The current update is that this beesuit in second season lost its bees-proof-ability. Somehow bees could sting through the fabric now - 5 stings each two last inspections, shoulders, under arm and wrists... not recommended anymore
    Серёжа, Sergey

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast