Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Default Re: Mann Lake vented suit

They are a hood style which I like better because you can unzip it and let it hang over your back when you need to. The hood stands pretty much upright when fully zipped bit I like to wear a ballcap under it to keep from getting sunburned. The hood is very roomy.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Charlie, you mentioned that you had both the ultra-breeze and the ML does the ML have the zippers on the legs? that seems to be a really good feature. I will be ordering one or the other in the next couple of days.

Thanks

I just have the ML jacket, not the full suit.

Quote Originally Posted by cerezha View Post
    Hi,I am Sergey. New on this forum.
    I have PM full vented suit with round veil. It is heavier than cotton but it does breeze! I am in California and wear minimal clothes underneath - it is 5x cooler than cotton one. Also,it seems to me it is 100% bee-sting proof. Zipper is bronze (brass?),works very well without waxing. Veil zipper part is a little bit unusual, but works fine as soon as you get familiar with it. This is pro.

Couple things, which I do not like or feel it may be better:
    - the bottom part of the pants does not have a zipper, so one needs to put suit first and than shoes. It also has no elastic band to minimize the gap between pants and shoes.
    - the end of the sleeves is very rough - it erodes my not very fine skin on wrists.
    - the elastic band to keep sleeves put broke next day.
    - leather gloves (separate from the suit) are very comfortable, but fabric mesh part broke after a few uses - bee-size holes in the mesh...

Few more things:
    - PM is very nice. I ordered suit, which apparently was 3x bigger than me. PM agreed to exchange it without any problem. New suit was on back-order, so I need to wait for 3 months... but, they even did not charge me extra shipping...very nice.
    - keep in mind that this is "plastic" fabric, it did not shrink and quite rough (eroded my skin at wrists). Do not repeat my mistake- order your exact size or one size up if you really tall. I am 6' and XL was gigantic on me. Thing is that it should not be too baggy - fabric is literally 100%-proof against stings.
    - Except the wrists, the suit is very comfortable.
    - I really like round veil- you could move your head and there is some breeze also!
    - it is my understanding that this bee-suit is lighter than real Ultrabreeze (read somewhere on the Internet).
    - It is made in India.
    - The "hat", which supports round veil made from thin cotton and need some sort of reinforcement - bees could very easily sting through. I am using a "secondary" hat to keep distance between veil-hat and my head - works fine, no problem.

Good luck with choosing the suit.
    sergey do you mind if I ask how big you are and what size you wound up getting...thanks

Cbinstrasburg
    I am 6' tall and medium completion (waist 32). I use PM suite size L. Originally I ordered XL and it was HUGE! I returned it back and order "L", which was on back order for 3 month. Once I got it, I am quite pleased with it. See detailed review above. Also,it does not have a zippers on the legs. Sergey

PM vented suit has two designs - with round "hat" and "hood". I tried both. I like "hat" better - more view and there is some breeze at your face. You could unzip "hat" in exact the same way as a "hood", but "hat" bulkier. I do not know if PM and ML are the same. Sergey

Hey Guys I need some help, I am now getting in to beekeeping I live in Trinidad & Tobago, we only have Africanized bees here (very agro) I need a sting proof suit Is this the best or are there better?

Hey Boss
    My PM vented suit (similar if not identical to ML) is completely sting proof, but it is pricey, $150. All vented suits have a similar design - two layers of mesh fabric separated by the "net", so the total thickness of "sandwich" is thicker than bee's stinging "tool"... In such design, girls may get inside only if zipper unzipped or velcro was not in place... These vented suits also are very fancy - especially if you are in bikini (I am too old for this). When I wear mine for the class (sadly, no bikini), I felt I am a star first time in my life. I feel similarly when do deep beehive inspection - my girls love it so much! A lot of attention! The only thing, you need to disturb them enough to get out of their dwelling so they could see you in super-duper suit. I guess, with africanized girls - you should have an immediate attention!

I ordered an XL suit from ML last Friday, and was told that it was on backorder. It actually shipped yesterday, and is due to arrive on Monday. We will see how everything turns out, because up to this point, i have been using a pair of tyvek painters coveralls. This year, i have one hive that is particularly hot. While i was in it last weekend, the back of the coveralls blew out, exposing the upper edge of my butt crack. Needless to say, it was hard to concentrate on getting the hive back together with all of the sweat droplets accumulating on my glasses. $165 to avoid that is worth every penny.

I don't want to open up another thread so here we go. I bought a Mann Lake Vented full suit and it was delivered today. It came with nylon zippers on the chest, legs and veil despite the website saying that they come with heavy duty metal zippers. I have an email into Mann Lake to see what the deal is. I'm not sure about the nylon zippers. I have had a couple of jackets with nylon zippers and they have been fine but this suit's zippers seem really weak. I've also had problems with brass zippers before in some hunting clothes but they seem much more durable. Does anyone have the suit with nylon zippers and how is it holding up? I don't want to throw $155 away. I'll let you know what Mann Lake says.

Biggest problem with nylon zippers is that they will seize solid sometimes, especially if you let them sit for a long time.

My ML ventilated jacket came with brass zippers and I just bought it a month ago. I love that jacket, little heavier than my regular jacket, but it's also a lot cooler!
    Coyote Creek Bees

I have brass zippers on my ML jacket as well, I wonder why the switch to nylon? Anyway, it's a great jacket and just as good as UB, (I have both).

I just got an email back from Mann Lake. They explained that they switched to nylon zippers for 2013 but they still have brass models in stock. They will send me one with a return label for the suit I was originally sent.

Quote Originally Posted by signalten View Post
    I just got an email back from Mann Lake. They explained that they switched to nylon zippers for 2013 but they still have brass... They will send me one with a return label for the suit I was originally sent.
    Good move. You can always count on ML to make it right. You'll love your suit.

my jacket purchased last year has brass zippers and they always bound and finally rendered the suit useless.

Dissapointed
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

We use ventilated bee suits from a small company in Georgia called Pigeon Mountain, the quality seems to be very good, they back them up with a if you are not happy there is a money back policy with the bee suits. Have not seen a better made ventilated bee suit or a better price anywhere. Ventilated Bee Wear

A little beeswax on the zipper makes them work great.

Is funny you mention the zipper, we have about 100 hives, one of the guys had worn a Pigeon Mountain ventilated suit for about a year, suit looked terrible, dirty, torn, zipper broke, sent it to Pigeon Mountian, they replaced the zipper, washed it and sent it back. Never expected that to happen, we were surprised and bought more.

Have used ultra breeze suits for years bought two Mann lake jackets this year for two guys that work for us and the are hanging in the barn. When asked why they are wearing their old suits they said zippers are a problem and the overall fit was poor Especially the hood, hard to flip back

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast