Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Mann Lake vented suit

For what it is worth, I made a comment in another thread about the ML vented jacket,,,,,I love it. It is cooler and even though it is heavier than a regular cotton jacket and the zippers are a little stiff at first, to me it is a great jacket. with the price being just over 100.00 that meant no shipping charges so it was cheaper for me than the other suppliers of vented jackets.

Quote Originally Posted by dadandsonsbees View Post
    For what it is worth, I made a comment in another thread about the ML vented jacket,,,,,I love it.
    I second that. Wore it all day today and it felt like I was topless. (Sorry, no pics). Great ventilation and a good value for $100 bucks.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Quote Originally Posted by cbinstrasburg View Post
    did ML say 2X instock?
    out of stock 3 weeks out..

Charlie, a few days ago it was cool. I'd like to know how it does today all day in it. It's supposed to get to 90 today. I was in my full suit though a few days ago and was sweating all over so yeah, maybe I'll get one.

Mr. Happy,

I'll be handling swarm calls all day today so thank God I bought it. I did splits yesterday and it worked great. I'll let you know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by daugenet View Post
    can anyone comment on any weight difference between the mesh suit vs a regular? a local person here was saying that the mesh one was heavier than a regular one and not to get it.
    I have the UB jacket and it is definitely heavy. When it is HOT it is usually not breezy. I have to try one of my old nylon jackets and do a comparison. I do not find visibility through the UB veil very good, lots of sun reflection on the mesh. I do like theneck zipper velco and wrist elastic, the UB jacket does have good closures to keep bees out, but the begining of the zipper is balky.

>When it is HOT it is usually not breezy.

There are advantages to living where the wind never stops blowing...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

seems mannlake doesn't have stock, they are about $20 more ($165 vs $145) than the pigeonmountain ventilated suits...are those two the same?

mannlake also doesn't show the veil type (unless I missed it)...I prefer the round hat type veils over the "fencing" type listed on pigeonmountain site

Quote Originally Posted by blist View Post
    seems mannlake doesn't have stock, they are about $20 more ($165 vs $145) than the pigeonmountain ventilated suits...are those two the same?

mannlake also doesn't show the veil type (unless I missed it)...I prefer the round hat type veils over the "fencing" type listed on pigeonmountain site
    Pigeon Mtn has the round hood as an option. No extra charge.

Quote Originally Posted by ribbit View Post
    Pigeon Mtn has the round hood as an option. No extra charge.
    yeah, I saw that...just wondering if the the mann lake and pigeon mt. suits are identical

Did swarm calls last week where it was around 80 degrees in S. San Jose. The ML jacket was definitely nice just like the UB. Very cool and comfortable.

Hi,I am Sergey. New on this forum.
    I have PM full vented suit with round veil. It is heavier than cotton but it does breeze! I am in California and wear minimal clothes underneath - it is 5x cooler than cotton one. Also,it seems to me it is 100% bee-sting proof. Zipper is bronze (brass?),works very well without waxing. Veil zipper part is a little bit unusual, but works fine as soon as you get familiar with it. This is pro.

Couple things, which I do not like or feel it may be better:
    - the bottom part of the pants does not have a zipper, so one needs to put suit first and than shoes. It also has no elastic band to minimize the gap between pants and shoes.
    - the end of the sleeves is very rough - it erodes my not very fine skin on wrists.
    - the elastic band to keep sleeves put broke next day.
    - leather gloves (separate from the suit) are very comfortable, but fabric mesh part broke after a few uses - bee-size holes in the mesh...

Few more things:
    - PM is very nice. I ordered suit, which apparently was 3x bigger than me. PM agreed to exchange it without any problem. New suit was on back-order, so I need to wait for 3 months... but, they even did not charge me extra shipping...very nice.
    - keep in mind that this is "plastic" fabric, it did not shrink and quite rough (eroded my skin at wrists). Do not repeat my mistake- order your exact size or one size up if you really tall. I am 6' and XL was gigantic on me. Thing is that it should not be too baggy - fabric is literally 100%-proof against stings.
    - Except the wrists, the suit is very comfortable.
    - I really like round veil- you could move your head and there is some breeze also!
    - it is my understanding that this bee-suit is lighter than real Ultrabreeze (read somewhere on the Internet).
    - It is made in India.
    - The "hat", which supports round veil made from thin cotton and need some sort of reinforcement - bees could very easily sting through. I am using a "secondary" hat to keep distance between veil-hat and my head - works fine, no problem.

Good luck with choosing the suit.
    Last edited by cerezha; 04-26-2012 at 12:56 AM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >When it is HOT it is usually not breezy.

There are advantages to living where the wind never stops blowing...
    There are also advantages with the mesh fabric. It doesn't compress or cling to your skin when you soak yourself with water. I did this a lot last year in our Texas heat wave, litterally from head to toe, and it was like wearing an airconditioned suit. A cotton suit would cling to your skin if you tried this.

Good idea Risky!

I'll have to make sure to remember which spray bottle is syrup and which is just water.

Quote Originally Posted by adamant View Post
    out of stock 3 weeks out..
    adamant did you ever get your vented suit

not yet!

Wore my ML jacket all day yesterday in the heat. Nice! What a difference when you can actually feel a breeze even if it's only slight, it makes all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Wore my ML jacket all day yesterday in the heat. Nice! What a difference when you can actually feel a breeze even if it's only slight, it makes all the difference.
    Charlie: what size did u get? i ordered i think the 3xl SUIT and its still on back order.. guess that ran out of material for mine..lol

I'm 5'10" 180. I ordered an XL and it's a little to large for just beekeeping. But, if you do cut-outs and have to reach straight up above your head, the sleeve length is just right. If you don't do cut-outs or swarm captures, then I would order your normal size because they do run a little large.

When I ordered mine. ML told me that it's one of their most popular items and they can't keep up with the orders. It's identical to the UB except for the velcro wrist bands. The ML has elastic. (I have both).

Charlie, I contacted them and they said they were still waiting to get more in. I plan on ordering one whenever they are back in stock. Also, do those have a hat style hood (no pic on their site and nothing in the description)?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast