Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Mann Lake vented suit

Rick
    You say the jacket is made in India...the PM web site IMO makes out that the product is made local as in GA...advertisement I'd say... What you think
    Carl

From the ad:

we weave the fabric, extrude our own synthetic fabrics, do our own sewing, and market our product directly to you -- we can guarantee the quality of the product that you receive. And, we can set a price that you, our customer, will be sure to love. You can certainly pay more for ventilated bee wear somewhere else, but we do not believe that you can buy a better quality ventilated bee suit.
    I tried to upload a pic of the tag inside the collar. No luck. Anyway, MADE IN INDIA Actually since it was brought up, I do remember thinking it was made in America from the ad. I do buy American when I have the option. I could see where someone might get upset over this. Perhaps PM could offer an explanation. Isn't that where Dolly Parton lives? I think I'll give her a shout bout this

There's another thread on this somewhere (I think a search for Pigeon Mountain will turn it up). They mentioned they own the fabric companies so they produce the fabric and sew it, just not in the US.

Edit: Here's the thread and a post with the exchange from Pigeon Mountain and a beesourcer: http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...983#post713983

tsk,
    Thank you for posting that link. The product is as they described and I am satisfied with it. No beef there. I guess when you own a company overseas, the non American employees are consider "weeuns" . I know some tractors are "Made in America" but assembled in England I think and so advertised. Anyway. Perhaps a label stating such would go a long way. "Products manufactured is America, Assemble in India". How much more could the label cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick 1456 View Post
    <snip> Plan on using it this afternoon. Will check the reach and sleeve, arm pit thing
    Don't forget to check the reach and sleeve thing...

Thanks!
    Ed

Ed,

According to the Mann Lake size chart a Medium would have fit me but I ordered an XL just for that reason. We'll see how it fits when I get it. I don't care if it's a little too large. I want it to hang down a bit.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I hear ya Charlie. Recently at the Bee Symposium in Auburn, AL I tried on an imported suit that one of the vendors had there. I tried an XL. Even though it was a bit "bulky" around me (I'm 5'-11' and around 175 pounds) reaching above my head resulted in the sleeve pulling back and exposing wrist and some forearm. Even the guy helping me with the suit said if I got one a size bigger (XXL) it would simply be too big for me in other areas. If I get a suit it will be because I will be doing cut-outs and may find the need for reaching overhead. I haven't started pulling supers of honey, yet, though, so I may find other reasons to get one.

Ed

I ordered a Mann Lake vented jacket which was the same size as the regular jackets I wear. Is on back-order but will let you know how it fits when I get it.
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!

Just me personally, but I'd order it one size bigger.

Ed

I have a Pigeon Mountain Full Suit and love it.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Quote Originally Posted by Keth Comollo View Post
    I have a Pigeon Mountain Full Suit and love it.
    how does the size fit to you

I am 6'2" and skinny. The large fits me great. If I had a few more pounds on me I would go a size up.

Quote Originally Posted by cbinstrasburg View Post
    how does the size fit to you
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Did anyone receive a Mann Lake Vented Suit or Jacket yet? I need to get a suit ordered soon, so I would like to hear about the quality. I received an email from Mann Lake today and they said the suits are in-stock.

Yes, got my jacket in Wednesday and tried it on. Very heavy duty and stiff. It looks to be impossible to get stung with this thing unless the bee has a 4" stinger. The veil is stiff and stands alone. Although the inside label says it's made in India, it looks to be very well sewn with quality materials.

The jacket is cut big. I ordered an XL when I probably should have gotten a large. I'm 5'10" 185. When I reach straight up with both hands the sleeves come up my arm about 2 inches so you want to make sure you have gloves that make up for that when doing overhead cutouts.

My only concern is the zipper system on the veil is a little weird. I had to look in the mirror to zip it shut. One part of the zipper overlaps the other and you have to make sure the bottom zipper is tucked in all the way before you zip over it. There is a Velcro connection underneath the zipper system that will stop bees from getting in your veil if you don't get the zipper zipped all the way. I've practiced a few times with it and finally got it. The brass zippers look pretty industrial and I think they would last a long time.

The one top and two side pockets are double stitched with Velcro tabs in the center so your hive tool or bee brush wouldn't fall out. I wouldn't get to close to your smoker with this on because it would melt the rubber panel sandwiched in between the mesh.

The washing directions are:
    Hand wash cold with similar color.
    Do not bleach.
    Do not wring or twist.
    Low iron.

Anyway, I haven't done hive inspections yet because it's been raining here steady. As soon as it clears up, I'll report back. That will be the true test. That being said, overall I would say it's a pretty good jacket comparable to the UB and well worth the money.

So guys it sounds like ML and PM are carrying the same product but not the same as Ultrabreeze... Charley didn't you say you had a Ultrabreeze...is it the same...I have also been waiting to order one from ML...I am 6'1" 260 lb by the way the sizes run what size would you suggest...thanks

Carl

Wore my Manlake jacket today. No stings. No breeze but stayed cooler than I thought I would. Fits well. I ordered the same size as the jackets in my closet that I normally wear.
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!

OK! Time to fess up!!
    After the discussion we had on buying American made, as I have stated in the past if things are sensible and anywhere near affordable I will buy American made.
    After seeing beehonests approval and other of the Pigeon Mountain suit, and since it was half price to the American made Ultra breeze I ordred one (jacket). I have used it once already and while it is heavy it is open weave (weight) of 3 layers of material, it will do the job. However the jacket from Kelley Co. was never a problem with stings it is heavy woven cotton and NO air gets thru. I do not regret buying the PM jacket. It is quality made with brass zippers. I am 6' and 180#s and have long arms (35-36 sleeves) and I would say to those of you that are worried about the sleeves riding up, don't reach that high, it is what all of my jackets and long sleeves do. I would buy it again. Great service.

How ever my conscience still bothers me some!! Actually it was a Christmas present and I gave my wife the option of buying either the Ultra breeze or the PM, knowing which one she would buy. (she's conservative), so I'm as guilty as she is for buying the foreign made jacket. But I'm not a rich person so I did the common sense thing.
    So much to learn, so little time!!

I have the PM and really like it. I did the "reach" things and the wrists rode up a little but the rubber gloves I wear covered the exposure. I'm 6'0" 216 with long arms. I got XL which is loose but I like the room. There was thread where PM stated the materials are made in USA but assembled in India. I guess I only have to feel half bad

"The washing directions are:
    Hand wash cold with similar color.
    Do not bleach.
    Do not wring or twist.
    Low iron."

Charlie, Do not iron. Instead, lay the suit out flat to dry. I use some outside clotheslines and stretch over the tops.

And quit bitchin about the rain. I've had a bag of sugar standing outside for a week now and it is still dry and pours right out. We haven't gotten a drop of rain down here !

Fuzzy,

If you tell me you've been catching swarms when my traps are starting to float on my roof top I'll really start crying.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast