Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Mann Lake vented suit

Is this new vented suit the "Ultra Breeze", or is it a Knock-off? They say "breeze" in the product description.
    9th year beekeeper, about 20 hives.

Default Re: Mann Lake vented suit

Can't really tell from the photo's. You could call and ask them. I've found Mann Lake to be very honest. It's only a matter of time before someone copies Ultrabreeze anyway.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Looks like a copy.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Can't tell either, but it sure looks the same. I own an Ultrabreeze and LOVE it. Mann Lake suits are a whole lot cheaper. If I were buying a new suit this year, it would be one of the "breeze" suits.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

It looks exactly like my breathable from pigeon mountain trading company, I think I will call them to see if thats where they are getting them, when I feel a little better, got the flu now. The one I have from PMTC is top notch and Mann lake sells top top stuff I would go for it if I didn't already have one. Finaly lower priced breathables!
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

Someone please buy one and report back!

Quote Originally Posted by beehonest View Post
    It looks exactly like my breathable from pigeon mountain trading company<snip>
    bh, when wearing your PM suit and you raise your arms above your head in a reaching motion do have plenty of room? Or, do the sleeves "pull down" with a restrictiveness/tightness appearing under the armpits, thus exposing more of your wrists/forearm?

Ed

Charlie, a few days ago it was cool. I'd like to know how it does today all day in it. It's supposed to get to 90 today. I was in my full suit though a few days ago and was sweating all over so yeah, maybe I'll get one.

Mr. Happy,

I'll be handling swarm calls all day today so thank God I bought it. I did splits yesterday and it worked great. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hi,I am Sergey. New on this forum.
    I have PM full vented suit with round veil. It is heavier than cotton but it does breeze! I am in California and wear minimal clothes underneath - it is 5x cooler than cotton one. Also,it seems to me it is 100% bee-sting proof. Zipper is bronze (brass?),works very well without waxing. Veil zipper part is a little bit unusual, but works fine as soon as you get familiar with it. This is pro.

Couple things, which I do not like or feel it may be better:
    - the bottom part of the pants does not have a zipper, so one needs to put suit first and than shoes. It also has no elastic band to minimize the gap between pants and shoes.
    - the end of the sleeves is very rough - it erodes my not very fine skin on wrists.
    - the elastic band to keep sleeves put broke next day.
    - leather gloves (separate from the suit) are very comfortable, but fabric mesh part broke after a few uses - bee-size holes in the mesh...

Few more things:
    - PM is very nice. I ordered suit, which apparently was 3x bigger than me. PM agreed to exchange it without any problem. New suit was on back-order, so I need to wait for 3 months... but, they even did not charge me extra shipping...very nice.
    - keep in mind that this is "plastic" fabric, it did not shrink and quite rough (eroded my skin at wrists). Do not repeat my mistake- order your exact size or one size up if you really tall. I am 6' and XL was gigantic on me. Thing is that it should not be too baggy - fabric is literally 100%-proof against stings.
    - Except the wrists, the suit is very comfortable.
    - I really like round veil- you could move your head and there is some breeze also!
    - it is my understanding that this bee-suit is lighter than real Ultrabreeze (read somewhere on the Internet).
    - It is made in India.
    - The "hat", which supports round veil made from thin cotton and need some sort of reinforcement - bees could very easily sting through. I am using a "secondary" hat to keep distance between veil-hat and my head - works fine, no problem.

Good luck with choosing the suit.
    Last edited by cerezha; 04-26-2012 at 12:56 AM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by cerezha View Post
    Hi,I am Sergey. New on this forum.
    I have PM full vented suit with round veil. It is heavier than cotton but it does breeze! I am in California and wear minimal clothes underneath - it is 5x cooler than cotton one. Also,it seems to me it is 100% bee-sting proof. Zipper is bronze (brass?),works very well without waxing. Veil zipper part is a little bit unusual, but works fine as soon as you get familiar with it. This is pro.

Couple things, which I do not like or feel it may be better:
    - the bottom part of the pants does not have a zipper, so one needs to put suit first and than shoes. It also has no elastic band to minimize the gap between pants and shoes.
    - the end of the sleeves is very rough - it erodes my not very fine skin on wrists.
    - the elastic band to keep sleeves put broke next day.
    - leather gloves (separate from the suit) are very comfortable, but fabric mesh part broke after a few uses - bee-size holes in the mesh...

Few more things:
    - PM is very nice. I ordered suit, which apparently was 3x bigger than me. PM agreed to exchange it without any problem. New suit was on back-order, so I need to wait for 3 months... but, they even did not charge me extra shipping...very nice.
    - keep in mind that this is "plastic" fabric, it did not shrink and quite rough (eroded my skin at wrists). Do not repeat my mistake- order your exact size or one size up if you really tall. I am 6' and XL was gigantic on me. Thing is that it should not be too baggy - fabric is literally 100%-proof against stings.
    - Except the wrists, the suit is very comfortable.
    - I really like round veil- you could move your head and there is some breeze also!
    - it is my understanding that this bee-suit is lighter than real Ultrabreeze (read somewhere on the Internet).
    - It is made in India.
    - The "hat", which supports round veil made from thin cotton and need some sort of reinforcement - bees could very easily sting through. I am using a "secondary" hat to keep distance between veil-hat and my head - works fine, no problem.

Good luck with choosing the suit.
    sergey do you mind if I ask how big you are and what size you wound up getting...thanks

Cbinstrasburg
    I am 6' tall and medium completion (waist 32). I use PM suite size L. Originally I ordered XL and it was HUGE! I returned it back and order "L", which was on back order for 3 month. Once I got it, I am quite pleased with it. See detailed review above. Also,it does not have a zippers on the legs. Sergey

Thanks for the comments.
    Last edited by simplynatural; 03-04-2013 at 01:40 PM.

I can't speak about the Pigeon Mountain quality but looking at their site it appears that the only difference is one is a jacket and one is a suit. Yes, you want to order a little bit large. If the suit becomes tight against the skin, you can be stung through it. So, larger works better especially when you are lifting or bending.

Quote Originally Posted by cbinstrasburg View Post
    sergey do you mind if I ask how big you are and what size you wound up getting...thanks
    Oooo old post. I am 180 lb and 6' tall. I believe, my current PM vented beesuit is size L. I ordered originally XL and it was gigantic. I exchanged it on smaller one. This current one fits me well, it is long enough, which is most important to me. The current update is that this beesuit in second season lost its bees-proof-ability. Somehow bees could sting through the fabric now - 5 stings each two last inspections, shoulders, under arm and wrists... not recommended anymore
    Серёжа, Sergey

We use ventilated bee suits from a small company in Georgia called Pigeon Mountain, the quality seems to be very good, they back them up with a if you are not happy there is a money back policy with the bee suits. Have not seen a better made ventilated bee suit or a better price anywhere. Ventilated Bee Wear

A little beeswax on the zipper makes them work great.

Is funny you mention the zipper, we have about 100 hives, one of the guys had worn a Pigeon Mountain ventilated suit for about a year, suit looked terrible, dirty, torn, zipper broke, sent it to Pigeon Mountian, they replaced the zipper, washed it and sent it back. Never expected that to happen, we were surprised and bought more.

Have used ultra breeze suits for years bought two Mann lake jackets this year for two guys that work for us and the are hanging in the barn. When asked why they are wearing their old suits they said zippers are a problem and the overall fit was poor Especially the hood, hard to flip back

Also, I found the vented material to be rough on your skin.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast