Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: feeding nucs

Default feeding nucs

can anyone tell me the size of a hole saw you need so you can use regular pint or quart jars to put on lids to feed them. I want the hole just the right size so the jar wont fall over has to be a tight fit for the band/cap on the jar to fit into. any body do this?

Default Re: feeding nucs

2 3/4" for the small mouth jars. You need to drill from the top down and let it wiggle ever so slightly as it goes.

3 1/2 for the large mouth jars, no wiggle as you go on this one.

I just trace around the screw on ring with a pencil, drill a hole on the inside edge of the line and CAREFULLY cut it out with a jig saw.

Use a 2 3/4 hole saw. It will make a hole that is 69.85 mm. A standard Mason Jar Lid is 70 mm. You will need to sand, just slightly in order for the jar lid to fit in the hole. You will have to do a lot of sanding before the hole would be so large that the jar would fall over. I have never had one fall over, or, be knocked over by a varmit.

I feed this way exclusively.

Thru top feeders.jpg

cchoganjr

another thing that I will add that I learned the hard way, offset the hole toward the back side like you see in Cleo's pics ( I do mine even a little farther back now) because I had one leak and was dripping right on a cluster

I put an empty super over my jars, and a top cover to keep out rain. I do the same with nucs, but often use a pint jar and cover with an old clay flower pot.
    Charlie

zone 5 - 13 hives

Thank you for this post! I've been trying to remember to post this question.

[QUOTE=cdevier;950244]I put an empty super over my jars, and a top cover to keep out rain.

You do not have to worry about keeping out rain. The bees will propolise the cap on the inside and it will be totally rain, snow proof. I put a solid jar cap in the hole in the Winter, then on any 45 to 50 degree day in February, you can feed by removing the solid jar cap and inserting a jar of sugar syrup in the hole. The beauty of this feeder is, you don't have to open the hive to feed, ants, wasps, yellow jackets, roaches or other varmits can't get in, you don't attract robbers like you can with front entrance feeders, and you can remove the jar or the solid cap by prying with a hive tool. Quite often if you can feed your bees, just a time or two in February, you can get them through the Winter.

One note.... Always use glass jars. Plastic jars can expand and retract,as the plastic heats or cools, and if this happens, syrup will spurt into the hive. I use a lot of one gallon and one half gallon jars to reduce time between filling, as long as you have good warm weather for feeding.

Harley Craig's post about placing the hole near the end of the cover, or, as I normally do, place it to one side so it is not over the brood nest, is a very good point.

cchoganjr

Where is a good source for one piece metal large mouth mason jar lids?

Quote Originally Posted by Steves1967 View Post
    Where is a good source for one piece metal large mouth mason jar lids?
    You can find these in any grocery or hardware store. Canners only use their lids once so there is a big market for replacement lids. You will find them with the canning jars. Just double check what size you are bringing home.
    DsBs.Etsy.com

Quote Originally Posted by dmpower View Post
    You can find these in any grocery or hardware store. Canners only use their lids once so there is a big market for replacement lids. You will find them with the canning jars. Just double check what size you are bringing home.
    I am not talking about the standard canning lid to be used with a ring, I would like to find a one-piece metal lid for wide mouth.

most places sell them right next to the lids and rings.

Cleo,

What about putting a piece of #8 hardware cloth over the inside of the hole to keep any bees from coming out? Will this interfere with bees propolizing the hole?

Thanks
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

When you make the cut save the doughnut out of the holesaw and glue and nail it to a 3/4x 4x4 block to cover the hole. The bees will stick it down to the top....works great.
    Don't think you are on the right road simply because it is a well worn pathway.

Quote Originally Posted by beeman2009 View Post
    Cleo,

What about putting a piece of #8 hardware cloth over the inside of the hole to keep any bees from coming out? Will this interfere with bees propolizing the hole?

Thanks
    then they couldn't get to the syrup, unless your hive top is thin like 1/4 plywood.

beeman2009... I don't have any problem with bees coming out. As I am ready to remove the feeder jar, I have a solid jar top in my hand and as I remove the feeder jar I pop the solid cap in the hole. I then fill the jar, remove the solid cap and replace the feeder jar.

The propolizing of the hole does not present a problem, and if wire is put over the hole, unless you have perfect bee space, they will propolise the wire. Additionally, if the thickness of the migratory top is 3/4 and you don't (for whatever reason) get the jar lid all the way down to the wire, the bees would not be able to get to it. So, I have never used wire.

cchoganjr

Walter T Kelly sells the one piece lids. The 70 mm lids fit standard mason jars.

I found if I bevel the top of the hole the lid will fit down further and touch the hardware cloth so the bees can get to the syrup. I used a sanding drum on a Dremel tool to bevel the top, which took 30 seconds for each hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    then they couldn't get to the syrup, unless your hive top is thin like 1/4 plywood.
    I staple 1/8th hardware cloth on the underside of my hive tops-the jar sits flush on the wire.

[QUOTE=VolunteerK9;950729]I staple 1/8th hardware cloth on the underside of my hive tops-the jar sits flush on the wire.[/QUOTE

All depends on the thickness of your top, and if the top will go all the way down into the hole, to the rim on the top. If it doesn't, it won't sit flush on the wire.

cchoganjr