Default removing foundation

i want to remove my foundation in a langstroth hive and let the bees build natural comb any thoughts?????

Default Re: removing foundation

Why?

What do you have in there now?
    It might be easier to start with some foundation and replace it as they draw out the empty frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Darbachouskas View Post
    i want to remove my foundation in a langstroth hive and let the bees build natural comb any thoughts?????
    just pull it out . we did that this year. worked out fine.

this is my first year and i did some research and to bar hives have different size cells on each bar, langstoth are all one size . i just read this excellent book call fruitless fall and the author touched base on this, has anyone heard of the ecobeebox? they have this small hive called a utah hive and its half the size of a 10 frame langstoth and there no foundation

did you notice any difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Darbachouskas View Post
    I think they will do better if you replace the foundation with a short guide of some sort in the middle of the frame to get them headed in the right direction. Take a look at my video on youtube (link to my channel in signature) on foundationless frames.

I did some quick searching on the net. There seem to be two products with the "ecobeebox" name. The first is a current product - not what you are talking about - that are brackets designed to keep hive bodies functional longer. The second looks like an attempt to produce the hive your talking about commercially. That was a kickstarter project from several years ago that did not reach their fundraising goal.

So as far as I can tell the ecobeebox is not being produced commercially.

One thing to keep in mind while looking at bee boxes is that humans can put bees in most any size or shape box and the bees will figure out how to survive. The Langstroth style hives have developed to be a needed standard - a standard that works pretty well for North America. The small volume of the Utah Hive you spoke of may work in some locations but not in others as the bees simply need space for stores and population.

If you are concerned about bees not having access to the cell sizes that they want, you can always use foundationless frames and have the bees decide what they want. (And use standard sized Langstroth equipment)

While tinkering and experimenting are part of our culture, don't be too quick to throw out several hundred years of beekeeping experience. Your first post on this topic sounds like you are approaching this rationally. It may be late in the season to effect a change to foundationless frames.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Walter T Kelley sells what they call "foundationless frames". The top bar of the frame has a part that sticks down to serve as a comb guide. Below is a link to the medium size. I have some and love them.

https://kelleybees.com/Products/Deta...3338&grouped=1

If you have grooved top bars, I would put a wood strip in. If you have wedge top bars, I would turn the wedge and nail it back in. You need some sort of guide.

http://bushfarms.com/beesfoundationless.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF