Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flat bed size

Default Re: Flat bed size

Not truly in a hurry I just like to have some power in reserves. I don't generally go over 65 or 70 the entire trip and honestly dont care how many folks pass me. Just time to upgrade a bit.

Oh and yep I do remember CBs. My uncle brings his everytime he goes with me.

SO I was looking at this as an option.

1997 UD Diesel Flatbed- OBO - - $7200

Hi,
    I am selling a 1997 1,400 UD. It is a 6 cylinder diesel that has 233,000 miles on it. It also has a 18 foot flatbed. I am selling it for $7,200 OBO. If you are interested please contact me at xxxxxx Please don't call or text past 9 pm.

That could work. Gotta start somewhere.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

here is a cheaper option.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9urAj736mdo

I bought mine in 2009. gets between 10-12 MPG and is 6x6.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Don't you mean 12 gallons per mile? How is a 10 wheeler 6X6? Pretty high deck. Where is your ladder?

Neat video.
    Last edited by sqkcrk; 02-23-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Don't you mean 12 gallons per mile? How is a 10 wheeler 6X6? Pretty high deck. Where is your ladder?

Neat video.
    LOL That is the same joke my wife likes to tell. It is 6x6 the same way your 6 wheeler F450 is 4x4. Though I am in the process of singling out the rear axles. It has an air shift transfer case with high and low range. The deck is the standard 48 inches. The sideboards both flip down so it can be side loaded, the rear tail gate has steps on it so when it is dropped you have a place to step up. I am also considering having it painted yellow this summer.

They are currently surplussing out a lot of 900 series 5 tons right now, all early-mid 90s model years, 250 Cummins with Allison autos. I am tempted to upgrade.

Hey Blue I can't see the video. Is that a duece?

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    LOL That is the same joke my wife likes to tell. It is 6x6 the same way your 6 wheeler F450 is 4x4.

The deck is the standard 48 inches.

They are currently surplussing out a lot of 900 series 5 tons right now, all early-mid 90s model years, 250 Cummins with Allison autos. I am tempted to upgrade.
    So, the front wheels and one of the rear axles are engaged making it 6x6? Whcih means that both rear axles aren't drive axles? I have a friend w/ a ten wheeler who engages both rear axles when he needs to get out of a slipery situation.

48 inches is pretty high to me. Mine is closer to counter height or maybe 36 inches. I'll go measure it.

I'm tempted to look into a surplus sales vehicle too. I have a friend who buys old trucks so he can work on them and doesnn't spend over a certain amount buying them too. I am surprised he hasn't bought one of these trucks yet. I'm going to tell him about the site, if I remember.

Those are pretty cool yard trucks but I think they only go like 49 MPH. Not very fast for running south. It sure would have come in handy when Irene and Lee blew thru this past fall.

Something to keep in mind about the new 5 tons. They are not street legal as they are too wide and they have air brakes so you need CDL.

Mark. It has 2 rear Drive axles and 1 front Drive axle giving it 6 drive wheels on the ground, the number of tires do not factor into the equation

BMAC

Mine will do 55, ( I have had it up to 62 according to the GPS) but I know guys who have modified them so they will do 72 MPH. The 5 ton also have hydraulic break systems and they are also street legal. Plus they have power steering which would be a great benefit. (they make a power steering conversion kit, but the cost is prohibitive.) Air breaks don't limit a truck to CDL in any state I have held a CDL in. Some states will even issue an Air Break Endorsement on a standard drivers license. If you run farm tags it is all mute.

I have made over 1000 mile trips in mine, my average trip is about 200 miles though. Mine is a newer one, 1988 (they stopped making these in 1993) Mine has the the duel circuit air over hydraulic break system. I have a spring ride seat which most M35s do not have. They have a big truck feel when going down the highway, but it doesn't take many miles to get used to. I would not recommend a Deuce and a Half for anybody over 6 ft tall though... I am 5' 10" and have to have the seat back as far as it would go.

So the upside to these is the price... I paid $1358.00 for it, dropped two batteries in it, fired it up and drove it home. I have about $3000 into it now with various repairs I have made. The 5 tons sell between 3-6 K on most auction days. The down side is you have to go through an extensive federal background check to buy one. The wait time is about 3 months for them to process the background check. If you are the type who doesn't like the Gov knowing your business, these are not for you... You can buy them private sale without the background check, but the price will triple.

I have to add a muffler as you cannot hear yourself think in the cab.

The Youtube video is of a Commercial Beekeeper in VA who uses surplus trucks to move his bees around. It was done as an advertisement for the government's auction site.
    Last edited by bluegrass; 02-24-2012 at 01:22 PM.

If you are looking at the UD, consider ud1800 (not sure about air brakes on these or not), some of the tow companies run them (rollback tow truck). Basically the same truck as the one you are linking to, but heavier gvw. Freightliner (or f800 f650) with 5.9 cummins or International with dt466 are comparable size but more common, same price range, if you are willing to co away from cabover. Here is a possible deal : http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/2805473173.html isuzu frr

I am thinking my isuzu is a better plan for a starter

I was talking with my mentor the other day about isuzu's and said why dont you buy mine. It is 1993 with 150k on it. Got another 100k before the engine needs an overhaul and it has a boom. So as long as he sets a good price I will buy his from him. Seems luck is on my side on this one getting one that I have used in the past and know it has been taken care of.

East SideBuzz,
    you mentioned that your plan is to buy a swinger 1k,they weight 5500lbs plus trailer those Isuzu's tend to be under powered for pulling a load and carrying at the same time.The trucks just don't have the torque.
    I have a 2008 dodge 5500 with cummins 6.4 12ft bed (64 doubles,160 singles on 4way pallets) have pulled 33,000 lbs gross of cargo with trailer at 75 mph.
    Had the cat taken off and all egr related equipment have a mad max programmer in it. I can cruise at 75 loaded and can still pass as needed
    I get 12-14 mpg regardless.
    If you are going to be hauling the swinger around with a load, you could be traveling in the slow lane with hazards on!!
    swinger is a great choice.

Andy R

>>>have pulled 33,000 lbs gross of cargo with trailer at 75 mph.<<<

Funny the differences across our country.
    If you drove like that in Oregon you would be hauled to jail for reckless endangerment.
    Rightfully so, but that is just my opinion.
    55 stay alive.
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

I hope I didn't miss this coming in late. 26k weight limit keeps you in a class C non-commercial license. Under 40 ft w/ a trailer under 10K keeps you in a class C license and out of the BIT inspections. Now the good news.....California CARB laws want a retrofit of some type on any 2010 Diesel engine or older no later than 2021 for low mileage and sooner for higher,normal use. Like 2015. So if your in this lovely state or driving in this lovely state you may want to check the rules here as they tend to go national in a few years. So for what it's worth, I have a 04 F550 4x4 that has a 6L engine. I would stay away from this year and engine model-tends to have issues at about 100K miles.

Ditto JCA, except mine is an '05 F-450. 2 egrs and oil coolers.

After reading this I think I will focus on a Ram 5500 with the new 6.7 cummins in it.

If anyone knows can you get the 5500 in 4*4 and can you get it either extended or crew cab?

Yes, you can get both. Been looking at one. go here
    http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/2012/ram...arch#/default/

I will never buy another Dodge anything. The last 1 I bought was a 97 2500 and I replaced the trans 5 times before I decided to trade it in... They had a lifespan of about 3 months each. Also owned a Dakota which needed a trans in the fist 75 k miles. I did have a 86 Ram Charger once which was a great truck... a tank.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast