Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flat bed size

Default Re: Flat bed size

Well I just bought a 2003 ford 550 with 135,000 miles. It does have the infamous 6.0 I bought it because it was 4x4 with a 16.5 foot bed. Ford had replaced the motor under warranty at just over 80,000 miles, and then had new transmission shortly there after. I figured that If necessary I would put in a cummins as the truck meets my other needs. When I got it home it turns out that the egr cooler wasnt replaced when the motor was changed. So since i have the turbo off etc I might as well go ahead and do the oil cooler and high pressure oil pump while I am there.So then I SHOULD be good for another 100 K miles.The cab is tight and over all is in great shape, just gambling to get a few years out of it before any more major repairs hope you dont mind the comments. but I saw mark B has about the same thing also.
    Last edited by JohnK and Sheri; 03-04-2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: unnecessary quote
    George Brenner @ www.valleyhoneyco.com
    Mesa, AZ

Yes, I did. But I put all the miles on it myself. Having been thru what I have, I would never buy one w/ 135,000miles on it. But, you probably got it for a good price.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

GB,
    You can do a egr delete on the 6.0 will save you money and more headaches
    I have an 04 f-550 w/6.0 been thru 3 turbos, egr valves egr cooler, main engine electrical harness
    I would have done egr delete before the cooler went.
    my diesel mechanic would charge about $900 for it said it would save that system as well as the head gasket.
    Have had great luck with my dodge 6.4 cummins

Andy

There is a reason I have heard them called the 6.uh-oh or is it the 6.oh ####
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

thanks for the inpuut guys. I only bought this truck cause of the low mileage motor and tranny. I will likely do the delete as golden meadow suggested.And hope to buy myself some time, as I am just getting going on a commercial basis. should be to around 400 hives bye time we get home from the almonds. It just takes so darn much money to buy equipment etc as I am growing pretty fast. Jim a good friend just bought a 4 door dodge 3500, its a great looking and running truck. But it rides like a lumber wagon how does your new truck ride?
    Mesa, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by G B View Post
    But it rides like a lumber wagon how does your new truck ride?
    It rides like a errr bee wagon . Good when it's loaded of course. Actually I don't think it rides any rougher than any one ton with a solid front axle, I think the 190" wb helps a lot. Good luck with your new ride. I asked a really knowledgable shop foreman at a Ford dealership recently about his take on the 6.0 and he said he has seen a lot of them run with almost no problems for years but that their fuel systems just can't handle any type of bad or gelled fuel without having expensive repairs like injectors. He really stressed keeping your fuel filters changed.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

thanks guys.
    Mesa, AZ

I guess I need to figure out how to use those build your own truck webpages. Wow so that is quite a price tag on those brand spanky new trucks. Oh well. I guess my kid don't have to eat when I go to buy it. HA!

Quote Originally Posted by goldenmeadowhoney View Post
    GB,
    You can do a egr delete on the 6.0 will save you money and more headaches
    I have an 04 f-550 w/6.0 been thru 3 turbos, egr valves egr cooler, main engine electrical harness
    I would have done egr delete before the cooler went.
    my diesel mechanic would charge about $900 for it said it would save that system as well as the head gasket.
    Have had great luck with my dodge 6.4 cummins

Andy

$900 for an egr delete on a 6.0. Holy cow that is pricey!!!!!
    AKA BEEMAN800

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Suchan View Post
    $900 for an egr delete on a 6.0. Holy cow that is pricey!!!!!
    it's Massachusetts
    I spent about $ 2,000 to do the dodge 5500 cummins 6.4
    removed the cat,put straight pipe, installed a madmaxx programmer with pyro and removed all the egr plumbing(about 50lbsof steel)
    the truck runs great can pull anything I need it to and travel at speeds with plenty of hps left to pass as needed, I get 12-14 mpg loaded/unloaded
    the truck is an 08 dodge 5500 4x4 laramie 84in cab to axle (12ftflatbed)
    stole the truck from the dealer when chrysler was having all those problems

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123