Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Default Re: Colony update here in Pa

Very little nectar here. I usually add supers when the dandelions bloom but not this year. My hives are way behind so far. I'm thinking about using some of my nucs to help build up some of my main colony's.Things could be better.

Well all I can say is mine aren't using any stores and are building up very nicely. I just checked the other day. There's a small ammt. of nectar stored in a couple frames and I don't think it's just been moved around. So they're on the dandilion flow (or something else) it seems!!!

Quote Originally Posted by delber View Post
    Well all I can say is mine aren't using any stores and are building up very nicely. I just checked the other day. There's a small ammt. of nectar stored in a couple frames and I don't think it's just been moved around. So they're on the dandilion flow (or something else) it seems!!!
    Full Inspection today- Erie Pa 65F 3 new package hive Queen right pollen RED coming in- all drawing comb.
    Other 3 hives busting with pollen/ nectar/ dandelions in bloom cherries blooming- Fruit trees all ready to blossom. Some Queen cells not laid in one hive--Many drones and drone cell filled
    Checkerboarded today- May have to split- added more supers today also' FLOW IS A COMING WITH FINALLY WARM WEATHER.

The red pollen is most likely dead nettle. We have a TON of that around here. I have been surprised to see dark navy blue pollen come in for 2 or 3 years now and I have no idea what that would be. It honestly looks discusting.

im in the Pittsburgh area and only a second year keeper so i really don't have much to go on but I feel my bees are doing well considering the harsh winter..the italian hive i have is really going crazy lots of necter and pollen coming in and lots of brood in all 3 hive bodies (i run all 8 frame mediums). i added a comb honey super couple weeks ago but no activity in it yet. The carniolan hive started off slow but is catching up in a hurry...i'm going to try my first cut down splits this week. The two other package bees are doing ok. I got them April 9th and we've had a couple chilly weeks so that might have set them back a little but they both have about 4 frames of brood last time i checked last week. Another local bee keeper told me this has been the best early build up year that he's seen in a while. he was making splits end of March/ beginning of April.

we have lots of blooming trees in my area...apple, flowering trees, dandelions, etc...ive been told we are about 2 weeks from the start of our big flow...fingers crossed

I'm in the northeast pa area , did a full inspection of one hive last weekend as I was afraid they were planing to swarm, very busy . Found a full deep of capped brood , no queen cells and no drones flying yet but some inside and a little more drone brood also some uncapped nector and they have been bring pollen in for about a month now , started out yellow ( maple ) and now more of a orange , could that be dandelion . Are you guys seeing many queen cells and when is prime swarming going to hit this year in are area .I want to split this hive but waiting on queens . I'm bummed my nucs were postponed for this Sat. hopefully next Sat .

Quote Originally Posted by DC Bees View Post
    Very little nectar here. I usually add supers when the dandelions bloom but not this year. My hives are way behind so far. I'm thinking about using some of my nucs to help build up some of my main colony's.Things could be better.
    Agree.
    Nectar just getting going good here but I'm thinking the same thing because of slow spring build-up. Production colonies don't have the bees right now to take advantage of the flow that looks like it's finally on it's way.
    Excuse my post to your PA thread as I am out of your area.
    Thanks, Clyde

Things are starting to kick in in these parts . I was feeding up till last week so I have some nice brood.
    And some hives are real strong. A look from the top
    And some baby pics
    If you never saw eggs before The queen
    then I have some that are just now starting to kick in . I love spring build up
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

I'm seeing my stronger production hives building out queen cups. Nothing in them yet, but they are starting preparations. I'm going to be traveling next weekend, so I'm probably going to do cut-down splits this weekend on the ones showing preparation signs.
    PAHunter62
    Zone 6b: 11 Hives, 17 NUCs, 10 swarms captured 2014

And I thought my hive was crowed !!!!!!!! I've heard so much about spring of second year being so susceptible of swarming I have swarming fever , Glock does that hive have any queen cells , are you going to split to prevent swarming .Just wondering how much time I have before mine swarms .
    Last edited by laketrout; 05-09-2014 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
    And I thought my hive was crowed !!!!!!!! I've heard so much about spring of second year being so susceptible of swarming I have swarming fever , Glock does that hive have any queen cells , are you going to split to prevent swarming .Just wondering how much time I have before mine swarms .
    I plan on taking the queens out of all my DBL. deeps as soon as the flow is in full swing . This worked for last year and I had no swarms out of my DBL deeps last year so it worked for me. I also reverse the brood boxes and put blank frames in between the brood as soon as you have enough bees to cover all brood. SPM is some thing all new beekeepers need to learn if you want honey.
    And no I have no QCs yet but I do have lots of drones. I have one hive that has supersedure cells and no queen so I took some cells from that hive and made a split just to see how well a early split does .
    Remember I am on top a mountain and I am about 2 weeks behind the low lands .
    I do find feeding pollen sub. and syrup early on helps build up the brood. I am hoping for a good year so far things are going good.
    good luck or is it skill?

Glock, What's "SPM"? Swarm prevention management? if so are you refferring to a specific aspect or the general concept that may be relative to the area?

Quote Originally Posted by delber View Post
    Glock, What's "SPM"? Swarm prevention management? if so are you refferring to a specific aspect or the general concept that may be relative to the area?
    Yes Swarm prevention management . I do agree but you better learn it if you want good honey crops. If I can figure it out any one can.

just in my hives and i seen some cells of pollen they had capped over pesticide or somthing bad they were working i was told anyone have any input do have farming fields near me

My first cut-out had comb that was like that. The comb was the "normal" size, but there wasn't enough room for the queen to lay in it for the brood to be full length. This hive had been there for several years. If it were me I'd work that / those frames out and replace them with new ones. If the frames aren't that old you could just cut out the cells that have the "bad spots" and allow them to redraw them. I cut a section of drone comb out of a corner of one of my frames about 2 weeks ago and they filled it all back up perfectly worker. I was very pleased.

The pollen coming in has slowed down some now but I think there might be the beginning of a flow . There working the flowers on my Hawthorne trees like crazy and I'm getting that nice sweet smell at the hives , anyone else experiencing a flow .

Russian Olive is just starting to bloom the last couple days. Bees should be all over it. I'm in the process of doing cut-down splits on all my production hives. One I was in today probably would have swarmed tomorrow if I did not get to it. I left one nice queen cell, and tore down all others. I have three more hives to get through, then I can take a breather for a bit. Also focusing on getting the rest of my swarm traps out.
    PAHunter62
    Zone 6b: 11 Hives, 17 NUCs, 10 swarms captured 2014

Just moved to Northeast PA. Started over w/ 5 new packages and spread bait hives all around. 4 out of the 5 packages installed on the 19th of April are booming. The 5th is still acceptable. Put them all in boxes filled w/drawn comb. They each got a medium of leftover honey and 2 gallons of syrup. They sucked down the syrup by the time the dandelions bloomed, feeding stopped and the population boomed. The girls are all over the dandelions and whatever the trees are that are blooming across the creek.

I have no idea yet what to expect re: flows during a typical year here but I'm hoping it is longer and more reliable than what I was used to in Maine.

Wayne.

Hi Wayne, Better get your honey supers on. We usually travel through NE PA to ohio to visit relatives on Memorial day weekend and there is usually a huge black locust bloom about then. Its worth a try, even with packages. As Pooh said, "you never can tell about bees "
    Nick

Just wondering if anyone here in PA has heard of any swarms yet? I've seen where there have been reports of swarms down near Lancaster, but here in NorthWest, PA, I haven't heard of any swarms yet.

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast