Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Default Re: Colony update here in Pa

Well I concur on the fact that the bees are now "ready" to take the flow. That's what we get for a cold spring and fast warm up into the flow. Perhaps next year if I see this I'll try to get into some of the hives to encourage earlier build up. Perhaps give them some pollen sub and some 1-1. I think that may be my lesson for the year.

On another SAD note. . . I went raspberry picking with my son (he's 5, will be 6 in Nov) and they didn't smell right. As I was picking them I noticed some of them were mushy. I told him not to pick the mushy ones. Well I then saw the small SHB's in the dish. AAAHHHHH!!! They overwintered somewhere near there and are in crazy full force around those bushes. Major bummer. Here I thought that if I hadn't seen them in my hives this spring that they could be gone from the area. Well think again!!! My encouragement guys is keep your hives strong and I'm putting traps in ASAP.

Also my hives at home (I have 4 singles and 1 that's 3 deeps) all are low on stores. The reason I think that they have been kicking out the drones is because they're low on stores. So I cooked up some sugar tonight and I'll be starting that tomorrow. I gave some pollen sub to one swarm from about 2 weeks ago that seemed to be majorly hurting. They took to it immediately.

DC that's great hows the mite load ? I have been doing great with that and my SPM is great I only had one nuc swarm . Next year is going to be my grafting year this year was my mite control and honey making year and SPM all are a A+ right now . I have 10 strong hives and 13 strong nucs all at different stages i'm shooting for 100 percent over winter survival rate this year we will see. good luck with your bees.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Glock and DC - Nice updates - thanks.

Seems like all I've been doing this year is making equipment. I run all 8-frame mediums and have been making up a bunch of 6 frame medium NUC boxes and screened bottom boards for them. I have to say I really like this size NUC box - I plan to take checkerboard some foundationless frames with some of my extracted frames in these nucs - they are still building comb anytime I give them a new foundationless frame - I have been robbing capped brood to keep the NUCs from thinking of swarming and giving it to weaker hives.

Started year with 4 overwintered hives, caught 8 swarms in my traps. Did some splits, re-queened a couple hives with Carniolan queens from Full Bloom in CT (thanks to Delber for organizing the buy). Made few more splits for swarm control measures. I now have 24 colonies - about 5 are in the process of re-queening.

I'm selling 6 or 8 f my 6 frame medium NUCs in order to recoup operating costs.

In the process of preparing an apiary site in Western PA now (Family Farm) with the intent of getting some bees there before the fall flow kicks in - lots of goldenrod there, so want to be there ahead of that so I don't need to feed them.

I rolled a queen a couple days back - major bummer - it was a dinky swarm I have in ICO - feeding, etc. Lots of bees came to try and rescue her, but I did not see her coming around. I have another hive with queen cells - I'll probably cut one and add it here tomorrow night, or newspaper combine one of my smaller NUCS (which may be the better idea).

I really wanted to do some grafting this year, but I don't think I'm going to have time now. I have a queen castle ready to go for next year.

Next on the agenda is some mite control. I don't seem to have heavy mite loads, will treat the full sized hives with MAQS when I see an extended forecast in the desired temperature range.

Best of luck the remainder of the season everyone.

How are your queens from full bloom doing? Mine are doing very well. I'm pleased with them so far. I can tell that one is doing noticably better than the other, but that one had a solid frame of stores when I started them while the other that's slightly weaker only had about 1/2 a frame of stores. I was actually concerned because the hive that's now slightly stronger had fewer bees to start. It's interesting how they can build up quickly!!!

Similar here - one doing better than the other. I did not get a chance to check on them this weekend - some evening this week. Should be seeing the house bees getting a little darker this inspection. One of the Full Bloom queens I got was all black, the other was a little brown/black. I'll let you know when I get over to look this week.

Was in a hurry making some hive top feeders early this evening and yadda yadda yadda - I have 5 stitches in my right thumb. Use those push sticks kids! - no blade thankfully, just kick-back ... but a reminder that things happen fast. I have 2 6 frame feeders and one 8 frame feeder done except for the ladder. Oh well, live and learn. That job will be finished another day when I have time to think about what I'm doing.

I'm sorry to hear that PAHunter!!! I have been a woodworker for a while and I totally understand how fast things can happen.

Looking at the entrance of my hive I can see the dark / black bees. It's neat to see the ones I've started with being Italians next to a black bee at the entrance and everyone's fine with it.

So whens every body start down sizing down for winter{down to two deeps}?
    I have had a great year I have healthy bees and lots of honey hope everyone has also.

My down sizing is a process of stealing honey in October.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Well Glock that is great to hear for sure. Sounds like you had a great year. I have had a pretty good year, just not in honey production. I went from 3 to 9 hives now. I split 1 hive into three and took another hive to start 2 new nucs that are doing very well now. The third hive I was amazed that they actually made it as small as they were. They had about a softball sized cluster in April. So this hive now is in 3 deeps, but the bottom is mostly empty. I actually had to feed this hive because they had no stores left. So I fed for about a week and a half very hard and hopefully they'll be Ok for a while. Depending upon how the hives do I may leave them in 3 deeps, but mine are 7 frame boxes that I custom make, so it's only one more frame than 2 deeps, but I think they overwinter better in them because it's more vertical, but we'll see how things go this winter. I'm honestly not thinking about winter too much now. Once August is just about behind us then I'll start looking pretty seriously to get their weight on some before the "fall flow" whatever that is. (I haven't seen one yet)

I posted this in the queen rearing form and no response so I figured I would give this one a shoot.
    If I wanted to sell queens one day in PA. what are the laws?
    Thank you.

You can email Karen Roccasecca, she's the state apiarist. You have to register has a queen breeder. Your hives are then supposed to be inspected I believe it's twice a year, and it's all your hives, not just a sampling. I'm not sure how much it costs, it's not terribly more than regular hive registration. Pretty sure that's it. Those inspections can be tough for the inspectors though. I think once a year is probably what you can expect. Budget cuts mean enormous territories so commercial beeks get first dibs on the inspectors' time but I bet queen breeders are next on the list. They just want to come out and make sure you're not spreading anything nasty around the state by selling your queens.

kroccasecc@pa.gov (her last name is Roccasecca, but that last "a" I guess got chopped when they made her email address)
    License not replace eyes, ears, and brain.
    - Mr. Miyagi

Quote Originally Posted by libhart View Post
    You can email Karen Roccasecca, she's the state apiarist. You have to register has a queen breeder. Your hives are then supposed to be inspected I believe it's twice a year, and it's all your hives, not just a sampling. I'm not sure how much it costs, it's not terribly more than regular hive registration. Pretty sure that's it. Those inspections can be tough for the inspectors though. I think once a year is probably what you can expect. Budget cuts mean enormous territories so commercial beeks get first dibs on the inspectors' time but I bet queen breeders are next on the list. They just want to come out and make sure you're not spreading anything nasty around the state by selling your queens.

kroccasecc@pa.gov (her last name is Roccasecca, but that last "a" I guess got chopped when they made her email address)
    Thank you.

It is once a year and a sampling of all your yards. Depends on your numbers I think. If it was all hives they would be at mine for an few days,usually it is 10-15 % if they like what they see it is less but if anything is out of wack it will be more.

This is interesting. I e-mailed her last year I think asking what the inspection requirements were / are. I was selling a hive and wanted to know. She didn't seem concerned and I have yet to see an inspector however I'm not large yet. I was told when I started that I'd see an inspector at least every other year and so this being summer #3 I haven't seen nor heard of one comming yet. When I contacted her she said that it would either be her or Tom I think was his name that would come out to inspect.

You can sell full hives and nucs with no inspection when it is just a few. If you want to ship queens you have to have a permit. I will be having Jim out this week to finally get mine done this year.

Got registered to sell Queens for the third year now. First year all hives in my one yard (one with the mating hives) were inspected. Last year, because of budget cuts did not see anyone. This year inspector came and we spent about 6 hours inspecting every hive in every yard that was actively raising brood...full hives, nucs and mating hives (40 colonies in 6 different yards all totaled..finished up about 7pm)...if there was brood present he looked at 2 frames from each. It was a cloudy, drizzly day. The inspector (Nathan) was excellent handling the bees and we had no more than 3 stings between us.

There was no additional fee for the "License to Sell Queens and Nucleus Colonies" within the Commonwealth of PA. If shipping out of PA, there may be a different registration needed??

It's been awhile since I posted an update of my hives here. I came out of winter with 4 hives....a 100% survival. I got 3 splits off of one of the stronger hives in early May. BEAR ATTACK on May 12th that set me back a little. I was able to recover from the attack with more splits and home raised queens. I was only able to harvest 118 pounds of honey and 2 pounds of pollen. I packaged the pollen in 4 oz jars and sold them for $5 each. Couldn't believe how fast the pollen sold. I marketed my honey, pollen and wax by word of mouth, a sign in my yard, and on a Facebook "rummage sale" page. I sold 75 - one pound jars, 16 - one pound blocks of wax, and 7 - 4 oz jars of pollen in 2 weeks.

When I pulled my honey supers off in late July (delayed because of vacation), I treated for Varroa. Now at the end of the summer, I have 10 strong hives (8 Italian/2 Carniolan) and 2 strong nucs (Italian).

I inspected half of the hives on Sunday (12 miles away from home) and will check the rest at home tonight. Mixed up 3 gallons of 1:1 sugar water last night to feed the newer hives and nucs.

Been a crazy year so far was fogging but mite counts are starting to climb fast so i'm going to oxalic acid vaporize got the vaporizer to day now I have to get a battery and the ends for the vaporizer tomorrow .
    All my year old hives are strong and queen right and my nucs all have eggs and brood but not much honey [nucs]tried feeding but they get robbed out made some robbing screens and put them on a couple and I think they may be helping .
    My hives have a lot of brood and eggs right now and lots of bees. kinda like a spring build up all hives and nucs have frames like this .
    I think the GOLDEN ROD is starting to come in but just alittle.
    Falls coming.

I was out at one of my yards and went through 6 of the 7 that are there. All of them looked fabulous. Based upon this I hope to have a great year next year. Goldenrod is indeed just starting here. I saw one lonely flowering plant about 3 weeks ago, but since that time I've only seen a few just starting to pop. There are other fall flowers starting also. Here's hoping for a fall flow this year!!! BTW your frame looks nice GLOCK.

So everyone. . . how does the pollen and honey qty look in all of your hives? If you are low on honey what time do you plan on starting to feed?

I checked the 5 hives and 2 nucs at the house last night. One of the nucs was queenless. I added a frame of eggs and larvae from another hive. I was surprised to find 2 laying queens in one of my hives.....an Italian and a Carniolan. I caught the carniolan and a few workers and put them in my requeening frame and placed it in the queenless nuc. First time I ever saw that.

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast