Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Default Re: Colony update here in Pa

Don't know the name off hand, but it is the $37.95 from Brushy Mt. That's what I do, just move it from hive to hive. Only use it if there is absolutely no rain in the forecast. When you attach it to a hive, you have to have the screen open for a day or two for the bees to get used to the new entrance. Must empty trap drawer every day. Place pollen in a ziplok freezer bag and place in freezer.

Or you can just leave it on one hive and just remove the screen when not in use. Do not over use.

Mayday if I may ask. . . What is "over use"? Is one week straight over use, or is that Ok?

Using for one week straight would definitely be over use. You have to remember that the bees need that pollen for new brood. You constantly have new brood in all stages. If you are going to keep the trap on one hive, I would only collect pollen for one day and remove the screen for a couple of days. You can then repeat the cycle. Or move the trap to another hive. The trap is very effective. The holes look like little astericks. As the bees crawl through the holes to get into the hive, their legs are stripped of the pollen balls

Quote Originally Posted by MaydayMalone View Post
    I invested in a pollen trap this spring. I'll harvest pollen and freeze it just in case there is ever a pollen "draught".
    Why do you assume stealing pollen from a hive and giving it to them when you feel it is right is a good idea? Do you think freezing it is better than sealing it in wax?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by MaydayMalone View Post
    I invested in a pollen trap this spring.
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...for-beekeeping
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

If you want to make your own pollen patties, you need pollen. You can either buy it or get it from your hives. Freezing is better because it eliminates mold. There is moisture in the pollen. If you plan to sell the harvested pollen, make sure that it is dry before packaging it. You can also use those silica-gel capsules that come in pill bottles.

thanks for the clarification Mayday!!! I also saw a pollen trap that utilized different size holes so that a bee could go into the hive through the upper hole and take just about all of their pollen with them while if they went in the lower hole they'd lose about all of it. That seemed interesting to me. It would make collecting slower, but would also not hurt the hive in that they'd still have some pollen coming in although it would be less than "normal".

Did an inspection this afternoon.
    When I walked up to the hives, the two over wintered colonies that had been lagging were doing a large orientation flight.
    Was really glad to finally see that.
    Over the last few days their traffic had been picking up.
    All 3 over wintered colonies are storing honey and hope they start capping soon.
    I reversed supers on all three hives.
    The clusters had been in the top supers at the end of winter and the bottom supers were just empty comb.
    I placed the supers containing the clusters on the bottom and placed the empty comb supers on top.
    Seems to be working fine so far.

They all seem a little defensive right now.
    I used to be able to walk right up to each hive and watch what was going on.
    Not anymore, guard bees start head butting or just outright stinging you with no warning.
    I'm reluctant to requeen because they are second year bees.

In a week or two, I'm going to try making some Nucs from them.

Picked up some glass jars from Gamber Container last week.
    Some of those are 8 & 16oz muth jars with corks.
    Everyone I showed them to wants to buy honey just for the jars. LOL
    $12 for a 1lb muth jar seems fair.

Not sure what to make of the colony with the "laying worker" problem. Thought there were lots of drone brood being capped.
    I brought them to the home yard to monitor them closer and there are still no drones in it.
    The worker population has been increasing though.
    So maybe what I thought was drone brood really isn't.
    Saw quite a few cells with single normal sized eggs in the bottom.
    Added an entrance reducer and set it up with the smaller opening for them to use so the stronger hives didn't attack them.
    Also placed two twigs in the entrance so it was big enough for just two bees to get through.
    They have been storing honey and had been started on drawn comb with capped honey.

A little defensive can be just a sign of a large hive, but can also mean queenless, and maybe not in such a bad way. Check the hive for eggs, cause they may have swarmed and may be in between queens right now. I have a hive like that, no eggs, nada. Gave them a frame of eggs, they didn't do anything special, just raised them, so I'm assuming there's a virgin running around in there that will hopefully mate and start laying before too long. But during the time they don't have a mated, laying queen, they're not their friendly queenright selves.

I thought the same thing but I did see eggs.

Is any one in PA getting swarms?
    Last year I had 4 by this time and I only had 3 hives last year this year I have 10 that made it through the winter and no swarms yet no QCs and all are queen right.
    Mine seem to be nicer this year I can stand 3ft away from all my hives in the bee yard with no stings I think i'm finally learning how to be a beekeeper My SPM is going good my mite counts are low I see no viruses no crawlers and 5 of my hives have 3 brood chambers{deeps} and need another going to add them Wed. the night time temps. are going to be in the 60s. I'm going to make some splits and a cell builder to make some queens next week . My flow is now just starting to kick in thing are going great my best year so far.

Here in Berks I've only received one swarm call through the Ag center.
    Am hoping to build up my numbers too through some free bees.

Two weeks ago I pulled out 6 frames of brood and the queen from a hive that had exploded and looked like it was ready to swarm. Today I did an inspection. It had six sealed queen cells, which I removed. I also found two queens in the hive and both, by their size, looked like they had mated. To date they have also filled two medium supers with honey. I also found my first small hive beetle of the year in this hive.

Last week I got a call (my first and only this year) in the Pottstown area. My assumption is that there are several hives that aren't there this year that were there last year. I went into winter with 7 and now have 3. Beekeeper error for at least 3 of them. I now know one more thing to keep an eye on, but I assume that some of the ferral hives that were there aren't now. I think that's why I'm not seeing much. With the weak winter we had here last winter going into a drought last summer without a fall flow due to early and hard frosts that what did in most of my hives. No pollen and the hives slowed down. Now only the ones that took a patty in January are doing great now. I'm also hopping to also add to my numbers, but there must be hives out there to get them from.

Glock -

I caught two swarms this weekend. One in each of my yards. Both decent sized ... approx. 3 lbs I would guess. Here is a pic of one that set up shop on the outside of one of my swarm traps. They actually started to build comb on the lid overhang.

IMG_20130525_151450_027.jpg

That was an easy transfer to a hive, just lifted the trap, tapped it down on the edge of a hive body with bottom board, then setup the box on top of a 6 foot step to get any of the field bees. Was over to check on them today and they were busy foraging. The other one I caught was at my place. I had seen scouts checking out both swarm traps in my yard, so I hurried up and baited my last trap I had sitting in the garage and put it on my back porch roof at 9pm. The next day I returned from work and bees had moved into the porch roof trap.

I have 7 traps set 4 hours from here in western PA too. I got word today that bees were going in and out of a trap in the same location I caught a swarm last year. I'm assuming they are feral bees. It is in a very rural area and I don't know of anyone close enough with hives.

I overwintered 4 hives, and now have 10 (possibly 11 if the western PA trap really has bees). In a couple weeks I'll be starting a couple more NUCs using queens from a group purchase delber arranged.

I'll probably end up making up some NUCs to sell towards the end of June. I've been building equipment and frames in my spare time, need some cash inflow to offset. I'm getting to a spot where I don't have time to manage any more hives anyway, I work full time.

PAHunter62
    I know what you mean there I have 10 right now and want 5 more by fall and 10 nucs and must say it take some time to keep things going right.
    Beekeeping has taking a lot of my time everything up to this point has revolved around my bees with building bee yards putting things together reading /working hive /learning what i'm doing the list is endless. Beekeeping has be come a way of life .
    Only been at it for going into my 4th year And have 2 bee yards and just made a nuc yard.
    Year 1=2 packages died in winter year 2= 3 northern nuc all lived year 3= 19 hives buy end of SEPT {crazy year} year 4 = 10 hives things are calm and nice right now.
    All that and I own a restaurant and gardens 5 of them o ya a wife and a daughter.
    Life is good and bees made it that much better.

r

Took an extra day off to get my garden in and go through a couple of my overwintered hives. I did not know it was going to rain much of the day today. I got going early - I moved two hives from one yard to the other early, then said what the heck, while I'm there lets get the hives adjusted before it really started to rain. I split my four overwintered hives early may, pulling the queen and a couple frames of bees and a frame of honey/pollen. I left them alone until the new queen hatched and had their mating flights. When I finally got to the 3rd brood box I noticed that the girls back filled it with nectar. So, I figured before the newly mated queens get to laying, now was a good time to go through the brood boxes (run 3 mediums for brood) and pull frames with all honey (except for positions 1 and 8) up, and also take any larger cell comb out and move it up. I run foundationless mostly, so sometimes they decide to make all drone comb even in the first box if the flow is on. I inserted 8 frames of brood foundation split between the first 3 boxes, then buttoned them up. I noticed some milky white in the bottoms of some cells, so one hive has a mated and laying queen already, yeah! I'm glad I got this done before the rains really started, if the girls are going to be stuck at home, they might as well work drawing out some new foundation!

My story is similar Glock. This is my third year. First year, two packages. Both overwintered fine. Next year, overwintered 4 hives, they all made it. This spring, split all 4 and got two swarms. I'll end this year with around a dozen. I'm out of free wood, so I need to find some inexpensive material to make up some NUCs.

I use T1-11 and 1/2" CDX. The T1-11 I use for the outside of the box and the 1/2" CDX I use as Frame rests. It has been working well so far. I don't have long term usage to go by yet, but that's what I'm using now. I know regular painted plywood doesn't work. (it separates when it's out for a while. 1-3 months) OSB is free at work, but that obviously doesn't hold up either. So that's where I am at this point. I think I can get about 7 or so boxes out of one sheet of T1-11 that costs about $35.00 at Home Depot.

Not sure when to split the three survivor colonies.
    They are storing honey and don't want to screw up production.

Should I wait till I see swarm cells and then split?
    Or when there is at least 10 frames of brood, then move the queen and 5 frames of brood and honey to another hive?

Its been real difficult to locate the queens in two of the hives. Maybe I could move the entire brood super to another yard if I can't find them.
    Then in three days, wherever I find eggs I'll know where she is.

Allen, The ammt. of options that you have are about endless. Some will say this over that, but it all depends upon what you want and what your goals are. If you wait until you see q-cells then you may have already missed the swarm. One hive last year I watched swarm and only a week before I was in the hive and no signs of swarm cells. When I opened them up the next day 9 of 10 brood frames had at least 1 queen cell. Most had 2-4.

You can take a frame of open brood, a frame of capped brood, a frame of pollen and stores and put them in a 5 frame nuc along with the original queen and let them go to town. They'll build up nicely from there and you can get them into a 10 frame definitely before winter if that's your goal. This will enable the original hive to perhaps bring in the most honey, but I'm not positive. Make sure to leave at least one frame with young wax that has worker brood and eggs. The bees will take it from there. (you can even make it smaller if you have drawn comb ready. You can take one frame with open and capped brood, the original queen, 1 frame of stores (honey / pollen) and let it go in that 5 frame nuc box)

You can do a equal split kind of one for you and one for you kind of approach not really caring where the original queen ends up just realize that the hive that's rearing a queen will dwindle slightly compaired to the other.

You can take the small hive as mentioned above, and introduce a new queen to the booming hive if you'd like. There are a TON of possibilities and it all depends upon what you have and what you're looking for. As a general rule it's either more bees or honey not both. If you want more hives then plan on not getting as much honey (or any) from the hive / hives.

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast