Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Default Re: Colony update here in Pa

Tenbears, thanks for sharing that.

The bees are bringing in a bright orange and an off-white colored pollen.
    Now to find a pollen chart to see what they are bringing in.

This past Monday I checked one hive at an outyard and I was surprised at what clr. they were bringing in. I saw them mostly bringing in light yellow color pollen and a whitish, but I also saw black (like tar black) and royal blue pollen. They were storing it so I know that they're doing just fine in the pollen arena at this point. this is a 7 frame hive and they had brood in 5 of the 7 about 1/4 of the deep frame. It's great to see this nuc starting to boom.

I still don't see any pollen coming in yet and thats with 12 hives. I'm guessing any day now we are 1800 ft ASL so we are usually about 2 weeks behide the people in the valleys. I'm glad to see the bees coming and going .
    My wife was out hanging clothes out to day and a couple bees head butted her and the hives are 2 football feilds away so i quess there looking for anything they can use.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Got into the hives today and found all of the action in the top boxes with the bottom boxes empty. Did a mite test and found the levels to be about 3%. Swapped boxes and treated with a single MAQ. Pollen coming in now, but nectar seems lite at best. At least it was sunny in the 60's. Looks like things will pick up this week with the highs in the low 70's. They seem like their ready to go once the flow starts. Needed the jacket today because smoke was not very helpful. Too windy. Hang in there GLOCK. It looks like the worst is over for now in PA.

We have pollen yay! I figured it would be any day and i was right .all my hives where bing it in.
    The bees are out and flying today .
    Last edited by GLOCK; 04-07-2013 at 03:32 PM.

What a nice day to crack the hives for the first time of the year.
    79 degrees!
    Went all the way to the bottom and cleaned out the dead bees.
    No mouse damage fortunately.
    Found eggs and brood in all three, only saw one queen but that doesn't matter.
    The colony in the 8 framer with four mediums is a bit small and in the top box. Plenty of honey left.
    Placed a deep on the bottom of the stack with a combination of empty and capped honey comb frames.

The other 2 hives are set up with 3 deeps each.
    Lots of honey left over and some frames with partial syrup.
    Am leaving those alone for now and will pull some later for the packages and splits that are coming.
    Have got a bunch of shallows sitting around so I'll add them along with mediums for honey when needed on both.

They were all bringing in yellow pollen that could be maple or willow.
    Also saw some other colors and had not seen the olive green variety before that was stuffed in there.

Now to hope the weather cooperates and gives us a good nectar flow.

Allen,
    Here is a link to a pollen source chart, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollen_source
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Thanks, just found that one.

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK View Post
    We have pollen yay! I figured it would be any day and i was right .all my hives where bing it in.
    The bees are out and flying today .
    My eyes always let me know as soon as there is pollen. When I start scratching the inside corners of my eyes, I can tell that the pollen has started.

We received a good drenching this evening after a long dry spell and looks like more to come later tonight.
    Should give a jump start to the nectar flow.

Once they build up, I'm planning to split the three survivor hives and let them make their own queens.
    Haven't done that before and should be interesting to see.

Swarm time is coming Hope i do better this year with my SPM last year i did nothing and had bees hang from tree's all summer don't get me wrong i wanted more hives and i got them but this year i don't need 12 hives swarming. So glad spring is finally here seems this winter took for ever .

Well learned two things to day in the beeyard today.
    First never grab the smoker by the middle not a smart thing to do i'd rather been stung.
    Two never think your out of the woods when it comes to your hives making it to spring i had one that had a queen for sure less then a week ago with a small amount of workers that made it throught this past hard winter but are gone today. Then i had a hive that seems theres no queen and no drones in the air it's dwindling{ more comb and honey}. Then i had a hive i think may have a supersedure cell {geuss we'll see}

And i had two nucs {3deeps} i switched over to deep hive bodys and those where swarms i took in mid sept and there 2 of my best hives so far .
    I have others {hives } that are just booming with bees and they still have alot of honey in the hive the flow is not started yet should i take some of the honey out of the hives that have alot be fore the flow ?
    The queens have room to lay in the bottom box but the tops have alot of honey will she move down? And when the flow starts should i ad another super between the brood and the honey it's coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK View Post
    The queens have room to lay in the bottom box but the tops have alot of honey will she move down? And when the flow starts should i ad another super between the brood and the honey it's coming soon.
    Post pictures of those...happy pictures Lots of opinions on this one, and conventional wisdom is she'd rather move up. Might be time to reverse. I don't know how I'm gonna keep this one from swarmin'.

fullhive.jpg

OK, Question for the longer-term SE PA beekeepers.

This is just my third year, 2012 was the first year I was able to harvest honey. Traditionally, when does the Spring Honey Flow begin and end in the SE part of the state (Chester County)?

Last year was anything but normal, so I don't have anything really to guage things on from personal experience.

I have not really seen much, if any, good hive scale data.

The PA Backyard Beekeepers have about 6 hive scales scattered in the state this year to try and build up some data.

I was in my hives this weekend and see they are storing some early nectar and have started to draw out some foundationless frames I added.

Yesterday I set up concrete blocks in a new beeyard for some splits I'm making from the survivor colonies.
    Today I observed bees orienting in front of all three hives.
    Spent a few hours this afternoon going through all the deep supers of drawn comb from last season and cleaning off propolis from the boxes and frames.

One colony is real strong compared to the other two and will be checking them out on Tues or Wed depending on the coming rain.
    When its time to split them, not sure if I want to move the queen and some brood to the new yard or leave her in the home yard and move 5 frames of brood and some honey instead.

If I move the queen, does anyone think a super of shallow foundationless frames on the original hive might get filled quicker for comb honey till they raise a new queen?

Allen -

That is one theory - Taking the queen and a couple frames of brood from the parent hive and moving them can increase honey production if done at the start of the flow. See Mel's website (mdasplitter.com). He contends that you accomplish a couple things - bread the brood cycle (which can help with mites), converts nurse bees into field bees since there is no brood to care for.

I think it is the better way to split also because the parent colony will have more resources for producing a new queen - just make sure you leave young larve behind.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by libhart View Post
    I don't know how I'm gonna keep this one from swarmin'.

fullhive.jpg
    Split or pile on supers. It doesn't look like there are more than two boxes there.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Thanks Tom. I just have these feelings of not wanting to let go.
    But I know they are big girls now and can take care of themselves away from home.

Dandelions are blooming.

A check of the hives on Sunday revealed a very busy queen and lots of new brood. I am implementing foundationless frames into my brood this year. This frame was put into the hive on 7 Apr 13 and just a week later, you can see how far they've come. The Queen has already visited this frame and laid her eggs. I will be picking up my new Queens on the 28th of this month. I'll be doing a double split on this hive alone. Two brood boxes and one honey super completely filled with brood.

14Apr13a.jpg14Apr13neweggs.jpg14Apr13newlarvae.jpg14Apr13newwax.jpg14Apr13topbar.jpg

Well the hives are stating to brood up fast there some kind of necter come in .
    And theres drone cells in some of my hives so i quess drone will be flying soon

I may do some splits come flow time going to make some queens to.
    I reversed two hives to see if that helps with swarming. Plus i took some honey and put blank frams so far so good hoping for 0 swarms this year .

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast