Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Default Re: Colony update here in Pa

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK View Post
    Well the hives are stating to brood up fast there some kind of necter come in .
    Yeah, that is a lot of brood but where is the honey? Is there a box of honey on top of these bees or are you feeding?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I think I may do my spring splits around the weekend of May 4th (or the following weekend). I would like to pull the queens and a couple frames of brood from my 4 hives just as some good nectar starts coming in. Anyone else in SEPA planning on doing splits? And when?

I checked mid week and there was lots of capped drones im my hives. They all had lots of room, I've given each a handful of foundationless frames to work on, which they have been drawing out nicely.

I checked one hive today that I wasn't thinking was going to make it. 2 weeks ago they had brood in all stages on one deep frame about 5" diameter. Today 2 weeks later they have filled that frame 1/2 and are working on their second that's about 1/3 or so with brood on both sides. So they are also it seems going to be Ok!!! I checked the hive right next to it and they have 1/2 of a deep frame capped drone both sides. I think when the weather gets up to 70 watch out!!! Swarms are going to be on. I just saw one in MD, so it's coming soon!!!

Yep, been watching the progress coming up the east coast on swarms too delber. I want to keep my girls happy (with room) until I can get my splits made. I need to get a couple swarm traps up around both my yards soon. I was able to put seven traps out a week or so ago the other side of the state. Pretty early there, but it will give foragers a chance to discover them ahead of swarming season.

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Yeah, that is a lot of brood but where is the honey? Is there a box of honey on top of these bees or are you feeding?
    No i'm not feeding and yes there is honey on all of my hives.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

I checked on the hives yesterday. The one hive was super strong. As soon as I removed the inner cover, I was being bombarded with angry bees. I smoked them down and within 15-20 seconds I was getting nailed again. They found a small hole in my veil where the zippers from the suit and veil all come together and about 5 got inside. I'm sure it was a funny site to see if you were watching from a distance. I will be picking up my 5 new queens this coming Sunday and plan to do 2 splits on this particular hive. The queen in this hive is unbelieveably strong and has 2 complete deeps and one med completely full of brood. I will be re-queening two hives and putting those existing queens into the nuc boxes that I made over the weekend. They're laying, just not quick enough to strengthen those hives for upcoming flow. The foundationless frames that I installed on April 7th are completely drawn and filled with brood. I added some more foundationless frames yesterday.

I did see drones in one of the hives and capped drones in the others.

WOW Mayday!!!! That sounds like a incredible queen and great genetics. All of my current hives were / are nucs that I overwintered so they max out at about 7-8 frames of brood at this point and building up very nicely.

I'm 3 weeks in to my first year of bee keeping. I started with 1 package and a marked queen. 10 large frames with wired foundation. at the advice of Craig, I used an empty super on top as a spacer for the quail feeder kept inside the hive on top of the frames. I got a chance to pull a couple frames this evening and have a look. the majority of the center 2 frames are capped. the center of the next frame over had larvae in them. I did notice walking up to the hive there were very few bees coming and going. upon opening the hive, the bees were not very active. did i make a mistake by opening the hive? maybe I should wait for the temp to rise before opening again. so far the hive has gone thru 7-8 L of 1:1 syrup and Honey B Healthy supplement. From what i understand, the flow should start soon if it hasnt already.

So much to learn!

bubbabee, the nature of a package is similar to a swarm in that there's a good ammt. of activity in the beginning and then it will slow down as there are new bees hatching out and there's a couple weeks time lap for them to draw out comb and get the bees hatched in the new comb. In a month you'll have a much better hive and have good activity at the entrance. May I say. . . Welcome to beekeeping!!! This is a great site to watch and learn from. You'll find there is MUCH info on here you'll find. Some will work well for you and some won't. All of it you and I can learn from so don't discount anything too quick. Welcome abord!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bubbabee View Post
    I'm 3 weeks in to my first year of bee keeping.

I received my 5 queens yesterday. I re-queened two weaker hives and put the old queens in two nuc boxes. I did a triple split on my strongest hive started two new hives and one new nuc with 3 of the new queens. The queen in this strong hive will have the population back up by June.

It cost me $26 to make 4 nucs using these plans; http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...oates-version/

I'll use the spare nuc as a swarm trap.

Today, I removed the quail feeder from inside the hive and replaced it with an entrance feeder. They seem to be slowing down on taking the syrup. the most recent 1.75L took 8 days. last couple weeks they were taking 1.75 L every 4-5 days.
    I got a look inside and it looks as though they have 4 frames mostly drawn out and the inside half of 2 outer frames partially drawn. Leaving 2 and a half frames on both ends empty.

With this said, how is their progress?

thanks Delber and Allen for the response and welcome

Is anyone in PA. getting swarms yet?
    Well i put 5 deeps{for honey} on my 5 of my strongest hives and they seem happy . I'm going to do a couple splits next week. Plus i'm going to start making queens in JUNE. I love the spring build up
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Glock - I have about 10 traps out, none yet. I saw a post of a swarm caught near Lancaster in the "post your swarm dates" thread. Last year I caught a small swarm on Mothers day weekend. They built up nicely and were strong coming out of winter.

I made my rounds today and split all 4 of my hives- Queen and a couple frames of bees + a few shakes. Lots of drones and young larva in the donor hives. NUCs are all 6 frame.

I can confirm Lancaster, someone in our club sent a note out on Wed. (5/1) that his hive had swarmed and was looking for someone to come collect it (don't think he wanted or is prep'd for more hives).

I had capped cells on multiple frames in at least one of my hives that same day. I pulled two of those frames out and into two new nucs, and I think there's still a cell left for the main hive. That hive was moved to very rural outyard Friday so if they swarm, they swarm. Told the owner of the property (also a small beekeeper) to keep a watch and if he sees them and wants them, they're his.

I'm the contact person for our club when swarm calls come in and haven't heard anything yet.
    Am hoping to increase our hives with swarms this year.

Two hives have capped drone comb and one has lots of dark fat drones.
    Even saw one with milky colored eyes.
    None yet in the third hive.
    After inspection today, it looks like we are getting our first honey crop and you could say I'm a little bit excited.
    Took a road trip to Forest Hill Woodworking for foundation and frames recently and I've got a bunch of shallows ready to go.
    Guess its time to pick out the glass jars we are going to use and get the honey labels designed.

I actually just read about drones that have whiteish eyes and it said that they are blind. It's a genetic defect in some hives. The first time they fly out will be their last. It's sad, but interesting for sure.

On another note I haven't seen any swarms yet either, but I know it's ripe. I have drones in all but one of my hives. (this one about a month ago was only about the size of a grapefruit and now as of about 3 days ago is about 3 frames of brood) I checked my swarm boxes and nothing yet, but I'm hopefull. I have 2 other boxes that I haven't checked yet, but hopefully next week I'll get to check what's up with them. Other than that I' definitely excited to be back into the bee arena!!!

Got home and finished off another swarm trap to deploy in a big white pine in the back yard tonight. I have two local yards, two swarm traps up in each. I'll add one more in my back yard. Going home to see mom this weekend, I have seven traps deployed in western PA, Indiana County. Will be checking them this weekend. Probably a little early for that area yet, but you never know. I know one has attracted wasps (dad checked them for me last weekend) - so I will evict them before they make too many nests in there. Also Morel season, need to get out and try and find a mess.

Checked my hives today and one was getting ready to swarm. The bees had slimmed down the queen and there were two sealed queen cells along with about five queen cups that had larvae in on the bottom of the frames. I pull out the queen and put her in a nuc with three frames of sealed and unsealed brood with nurse bees along with a frame of honey/pollen and a frame of drawn comb. The way this queen had been laying, I will probably need to move from the nuc to a ten frame next week.

I also did a quick (10 minute) inspection today on one hive and it was boiling out w/ bees. I added a box last week because they were using one box and had a second on top that was only 1/2 drawn, but they wern't using it yet. Well today they had that box drawn out full of bees. Next week I'll be moving things around to get them do start drawing / working in the box I added on Monday. VERY COOL!!!

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast