Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Default Re: Colony update here in Pa

Checked my hives yesterday and all three were flying, even the two weaker ones. I will be VERY glad when it warms up enought to check on those two and see if they have queens.
    Meridith
    I am frequently confused!

I wanted to update you all on something from the weekend. . . I took pictures, but they're on the computer at home. I was walking around the house and saw deadnettle blooms!!! Spring is upon us!!! Hopefully this weekend will pan out. I heard in the 60's on Sunday? WOW!!! I'll attach a picture of the "flower" Scrolling down, it's the second picture that I have in my yard. Last year I had one bee come in that was working these, and I thought it was a different kind of bee entering the hive but no one else but me was concerned. The pollen is red and I guess because the flowers are so small they get the red pollen on their heads and it looks crazy.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sourc...62763911509240

My bee's have been cooped up for quite awhile and i'm sure come sunday there will be some happy bee's with the temps. getting in the mid fiftys here i can't wait i need to add a few frames of honey to a couple hives and maybe some sugar and some bee pro .
    Soon it will be april and things will kick in . I know since i became a beekeeper spring sure is slow to come.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

Nice warm day in these parts with heavy flying activity. I decided to check on both my hives at the house to see how their stores were doing. I also wanted to see where the cluster has been hanging out and get a pollen patty close by.

I first checked on the hive from a captured swarm from the other side of the state. They looked good. Plenty of stores. I checkerboarded the stores with emtpy comb above the brood nest. I did not see much capped brood, or larve here, but it looked like there were lots of eggs starting. I did catch the queen as she strolled across a frame. I painted her last summer and the mark was still intact.

SwarmQueen.jpg

I then checked my second hive. It was a bit stronger than the swarm hive, it too still had plenty of stored. I did the same procedure ... checkerboarding stores and empty comb above the bees, and a pollen patty near the brood nest. I did not see any larve in this hive yet either, but it also looked to have eggs. I also was lucky enough to spy this queen as she strolled across a frame.

2012Queen.jpg

I expect the hives to build up fast once this warmer weather finds us.

I will be checking my other two full sized hives at my brothers house tomorrow.

Happy days are here again. Well, I went through a few hives on Saturday, one hive had mice in it and was queenless with laying workers. I also have a nuc that is very weak and was thinking of moving them into a three frame queen castle to help keep them warm.I had thought about combining them but the laying workers would probably kill the queen! I checked one other nuc and it was packed with bees and food. Good luck to everybody, spring is in the air.

I had two hives that I checked yesterday and they were clearly bringing in loads of pollen here in Western PA. Some of the bees were completely covered in pollen. I'm not exactly sure where it's coming from but I'm excited.

2nd year beek up here in the armpit of the snowbelt of NW Pa. I had 2 hives side-by-side, almost identical strength. Went out yesterday, and found one flourishing and the other was dead. Lots of bees face first in the comb looking for honey. Sad thing is, after we cleaned out the box yesterday we took almost 7 frames of honey stores into the house that were right above them. They just never moved up for some reason..Bummer

No time to go through the hives this wekend but I decided to take a peek into the weakest one. It seemed to be dead. They were hiding in the middle box. When I tipped the box to look under, they shouted "Surprise!" and came out. First sting of the season. Spring is here!
    Meridith
    I am frequently confused!

Checked all 4 hives on Saturday. All very strong. Bringing in the Maple pollen. Bees coming back completely covered in pollen. Left the tar paper on the hives since we are expecting some colder weather on Wednesday all through the weekend. Plenty of stores left.

photo.jpg

We still have 3 colonies left and they were all flying.

Not sure if I did the right thing but I added a pollen patty to each.
    Picked them up from Ike at Forest Hill Woodworking. He gets them from Mann Lake.
    Ike also lost quite a few colonies this winter.

Since it had warmed up I noticed them tearing into the moist sugar on the inner cover like that was all they had to eat.
    But, they walk across numerous frames of honey and sugar syrup to get there.
    Would have thought they'd eat the sugar last.

And saw some bees with dark orange pollen going in the hive.

Still cold and lots of snow up here in SNOW SHOE but all 12 of my hives are doing well and growing i seen new brood in one of my hives last time i checked them {around 2 weeks ago} man i can't wait till this s--- gos away i hate FEB and MARCH seems alls i do is worry about them dam bee's.
    This winter has been looooooong.

Same here with being tired of winter.
    We were promised an early Spring and it didn't happen.
    I'm looking for Punxsutawney Phil with my 222 so that sod poodle won't be spreading any more lies.

Next few days are supposed to be in the mid-40's and with a few inches of snow Sunday night. Then the temps should start inching up.

P-Phil doesn't know what he's talking about. I go with the wooly bear.

Last Saturday the bees were flying. Great to see!
    One cluster is at the top of their hive and I added another super above them with deep frames of honey and pollen.

All three colonies are chowing down on the granulated sugar.
    Does anyone know why they would pass up capped honey on their way up to the inner cover for the sugar?

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Does anyone know why they would pass up capped honey on their way up to the inner cover for the sugar?
    they consider the capped honey as emergency stores. don't use up the emergency stores when we have free carbs sitting around.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

I was in the sporting good store the other day when I happened to see a news paper clipping. It read

Punxsutawney Phil found dead of a self inflicted gunshot would. Apparently the shame of his gross misjudgment, coupled with the feelings of responsibility for the countless hardships his actions caused he could no longer live with himself.

Guess old Phil got what he deserved.

What a great day here in NORTHEN PA. temps up over 50 So i topped off my nucs with sugar and looked for brood in one hive and i found some brood and the queen on the 2nd frame pulled so i put her back right away that was good enough for me made me happe to know things are going the right way so far . 12 hive made it trought winter and it was a bi--h of a winter thats a for sure .
    So a question for all the NORTHEN beekeepers. When is a good time to put some pollen substitute out for the bees?
    I have 2 swarms i took in late SEPT. and am worryed they don't have any pollen in the hives . What do you all think?
    Thank you.

Did you observe your bees bringing Maple pollen back to the hives? They're calling for 60's and possibly 70's next week, you might not have to offer a substitute. I would have had the pollen substitute in the hives/nucs back in mid-March. I have seen them bringing back pollen on every day over 45 since early March. I only gave them fondant and left over grease patties. They're doing great.

Just ordered 3 new queens from Lehigh Valley Beekeepers Assoc last week. Should have them on 21 April. A friend of mine works for Ehrlich pest control. He put me on their swarm list at their office. Free bees.

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK View Post
    When is a good time to put some pollen substitute out for the bees?
    Never, seriously.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Ace, Last fall was tough in this area. There was low polen stores in all of my hives. I put sub in after I had already lost 2 hives due to this in January. One hive blew through it while the others only took about 1/2 of the patty I put in. Now they're bringing in pollen again and storing it so they don't need it. As a general rule of thumb if you want to encourage early build up and as long as they have enough stores start about 1 month before maple bloom to give them a bit of a jump. Check it as you can depending upon weather, but I like to check it every 2 weeks so they don't run out until they bring it in.

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast