Default Stung...learned a lesson

Had my jacket and veil on. Wanted to check a few things. I did not have my smoker. Decided to open hive and pull a frame to see how well the bees have moved up to an added deep (they have looks good). Then I decided to rotate the entrance reducer to a larger opening. Without smoke that proved to be a big mistake.

Another big mistake is to not Velcro shut the ends of the zippers. I ended up with several bees inside the jacket. Then zipper got stuck, finally got it off. Back at the house the women got a big kick out of all the stinkers I had. Pulled 7 out....but I think I had some multiples on top of my right ear. Smarts.

I won't do THAT again.

Default Re: Stung...learned a lesson

Playing with the entrance is always "fun". Its where the guard bees set up shop. Anything more than pushing in a couple of shims needs smoke.
    Cheers
    Rob

All of this happen around 10:30 this am. Came in ate lunch, then went fishing in a smallish pontoon with a friend. Got to feeling kind of icky, time to stop for awhile anyway. Came in got worse, and around 3 pm...started throwing up, bit of the runs. Now 2 hours later seem better. BUT could that have been from the bee stings? We are debating it here...now sure.

Every so often I'll be sitting in my Man cave ( Garage ) enjoying the scenery of the yard and the bee hives. Right around my seventh shot of JD I'll start thinking about saying hi to the bees. Pull off a top cover and say Hey! How R U! Cut of shorts, No shirt, no Smoker, no nothing... It's alway been fun. I just can't believe you played like that without a little liquid enticement.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKPT View Post
    Every so often I'll be sitting in my Man cave ( Garage ) enjoying the scenery of the yard and the bee hives. Right around my seventh shot of JD I'll start thinking about saying hi to the bees. Pull off a top cover and say Hey! How R U! Cut of shorts, No shirt, no Smoker, no nothing... It's alway been fun. I just can't believe you played like that without a little liquid enticement.
    It's my stupid gene.

You may have had an extreme reaction to being stung. Please call your doctor and tell him or her what happened and get a prescription of an Epi-pen. Next time you may stop breathing.....

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by psfred View Post
    You may have had an extreme reaction to being stung. Please call your doctor and tell him or her what happened and get a prescription of an Epi-pen. Next time you may stop breathing.....

Peter
    Are there test that can detect the problem.

I've been bite/stung by just about everything out there, even a scorpion. And I've never had a reaction. So....I'm not sure this was the bee stings that caused this.

Quote Originally Posted by jcummins View Post
    All of this happen around 10:30 this am. Came in ate lunch, then went fishing in a smallish pontoon with a friend. Got to feeling kind of icky, time to stop for awhile anyway. Came in got worse, and around 3 pm...started throwing up, bit of the runs. Now 2 hours later seem better. BUT could that have been from the bee stings? We are debating it here...now sure.
    It's hard to tell whether this is a severe allergic reaction to a bee sting or a moderate reaction to multiple stings. Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea are symptoms of a severe allergic reaction to a bee sting(s). The problem is that this means that the next sting could cause a much more severe reaction including anaphylaxis. You need to go to your doc and probably get an Epi-pen. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/con-20034120
    Last edited by ritan1; 05-28-2016 at 08:04 PM.

This is for sure not the place to get medical advise - just saying

Quote Originally Posted by DUKPT View Post
    LOL! I would pay to see that.

Edit: You're in Northwood? I could come see that! Let me know next time. LOL.

I never use a smoker. I have a great bee suit from Brushy Mountain tho. I don't know if they even make them like that anymore but it's like a suit of armor. Hot tho. But that's okay. Altho I'd like to get stung once in a while because it's dangerous if you go a long time w/o being stung.

Well.....my research shows a real mixed bag of opinions on this.

I had near zero swelling on this. Some discomfort obviously, but a few unappropriate words was about the extent of that. Women in the family had fun pulling the stingers. The stomach cramps/diarrhea happening later, MAY....or....MAY NOT be related to the stings. MY BP 119/78 pulse someway high at 100 while this was going on.

I've read also that epinephrine is a drug used to increase heart rates??? which is not what I'd wanted during the stomach problems.

So...gotta think about this some.

Quote Originally Posted by jcummins View Post
    Well.....my research shows a real mixed bag of opinions on this.

I had near zero swelling on this. Some discomfort obviously, but a few unappropriate words was about the extent of that. Women in the family had fun pulling the stingers. The stomach cramps/diarrhea happening later, MAY....or....MAY NOT be related to the stings. MY BP 119/78 pulse someway high at 100 while this was going on.

I've read also that epinephrine is a drug used to increase heart rates??? which is not what I'd wanted during the stomach problems.

So...gotta think about this some.
    No, you need to go to your doctor and let him/her think on it. You are not a medical professional, nor are any of us, and this is a time for qualified medical advice. While we know a lot about bees and stings (some of you more than others!) only your doc can really assess your reaction.

To clarify, the stomach problems are not what you'd use the Epi-Pen (epinephrine) for. In the situation you described, you would not use an Epi-Pen. You would use the Epi-Pen when (and only when) you had signs of anaphylaxis. Your doc would instruct you on its correct use. The question here is whether your malaise and stomach issues today are a harbinger of a more serious reaction in the future. Only your doctor can assess that properly.