Default Ready for my new bees

image.jpeg
    Pick up two more packages tomorrow. This will give me 4 hives. Having options will be nice with 4 hives.

Default Re: Ready for my new bees

Good luck and enjoy
    Zone 7A

image.jpg
    Two new packages and and queen installed today from H&R. No smoke ,No Sugar Syrup just gently bumped them once and slowly shook and poured them into their new home. This doubles my apiary size. I had split my one have and the one half never made a queen. requeened that hive also.
    Last edited by Buzzed; 04-09-2016 at 03:35 AM.

Nice!
    We just put the package into the hive, opened, on top of the brood box, with a empty box around it. Let them crawl out. I hated shaking them all over trying to get them out. Of course putting the queen in between the frames encourages them. The next day takes a few moments to remove the package and the empty queen cage. The bees ignore us when we are doing it, no smoke.
    8 hives in Maryland, 7 Carniolan 1 Russian: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

Sound like you have contracted Bee Fever. A few years back I was talking to one of the commercial beekeeper in our club, and mentioned that I think I could manage 30 hives and still work my full time job with the Power Company I worked for. He told me not to do it! He went on to say once you have 30 you'll think 100 is a lot more fun, then you will think with 300 I can quit my job and become a full time beekeeper. Then next thing is you will have 5000 beehives and a bad back. Now that I'm retired form the power company I am thinking about 50 hives? Good luck with the new hives and Bee Fever is actually good for you.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Bean View Post
    Sound like you have contracted Bee Fever. A few years back I was talking to one of the commercial beekeeper in our club, and mentioned that I think I could manage 30 hives and still work my full time job with the Power Company I worked for. He told me not to do it! He went on to say once you have 30 you'll think 100 is a lot more fun, then you will think with 300 I can quit my job and become a full time beekeeper. Then next thing is you will have 5000 beehives and a bad back. Now that I'm retired form the power company I am thinking about 50 hives? Good luck with the new hives and Bee Fever is actually good for you.
    Bee fever has no known cure! Some of the symptoms are looking out the window on a cold windy night with worry, building more equipment than you need, spending your winter Sunday's making feed for insects, studying the bloom dates in your area and following bee beekeeping forums.

Still the best endeavor that I have ever undertaken

lol we have three cameras of our security system watching them so we can see them all of the time from in the house...................
    8 hives in Maryland, 7 Carniolan 1 Russian: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

I have the Symtoms

Same here... must bee catching. Last year 3 hives, this year 7 .
    Just ordered more equipment. You just never know when a swarm stops by !

Ya'll all got it bad. I know - as I have had it for 38 years

Congrats on doubling your apiary. I would suggest that you increase with one more hive....a nuc hive. If you need anything (queen, brood, drawn comb, stores) it is available immediately. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    Congrats on doubling your apiary. I would suggest that you increase with one more hive....a nuc hive. If you need anything (queen, brood, drawn comb, stores) it is available immediately. Just sayin.
    I have a Nuc I am using for a swarm catcher. Once my four hives get stronger I was planning on starting a Nuc from those hives. Put in some eggs, drawn comb and honey from the other hives. I suppose that's the way to do it?

Checked my two new hives today. Last week I had no brood in one hive. I thought it had swarmed on me. Today there were plenty of eggs and larva saw the queen and she was busy. So I have four hives doing well now. My split is doing great both hives . I finally did something right. Now I just need some honey for my effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzed View Post
    image.jpeg
    Pick up two more packages tomorrow. This will give me 4 hives. Having options will be nice with 4 hives.
    A month ago I had one colony. Since then I've trapped a swarm, collected a swarm, cut out a swarm, and installed a package, to make 5 colonies. On Friday I'm picking another package for my 6th colony. Only the two packages were planned, so I'm a little underprepared, equipment-wise.
    Painted Peacock Manor, Palos Verdes, CA

Buzz-
    Don't go nuts on looking into the hives too often. Everyone starting out wants to look daily but that only disturbs the bees. Spread viewing out to maybe a week and only then pull four frames. You don't need to see the queen; if there's brood, eggs, or larvae, she's there.

I've never looked for any queens and only once did I see her on an inspection and that was with four hives. Sit back, relax, and get stung. Incidentally the FatBeeman recommends BBQ sauce on hands when opening a hive; it works great and I rarely use gloves anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete O View Post
    Buzz-
    Don't go nuts on looking into the hives too often. Everyone starting out wants to look daily but that only disturbs the bees. Spread viewing out to maybe a week and only then pull four frames. You don't need to see the queen; if there's brood, eggs, or larvae, she's there.

I've never looked for any queens and only once did I see her on an inspection and that was with four hives. Sit back, relax, and get stung. Incidentally the FatBeeman recommends BBQ sauce on hands when opening a hive; it works great and I rarely use gloves anymore.
    I normally do not go into my hives but once every 7-8 days. Once I see eggs/larva I close it up.