Default Bees don't work blackberry??

I was told I did not know what I was talking about and thst bees don't work blackberry.

I was at a produce stand and they had only one jar of honey left. I offered the owner to sell him honey for the stand or trade for produce to can. He said he got his honey from his relative who was outside the stand. I was told to go ask "pawpaw".

I asked and he asked what kind of honey I had. I said I had one people raved about and it likely had alot of clover and blackberry in it.

He said he had never seen a bee on blackberry in 38 years and I did not know what I was talking about.

I happen to know I saw bees on the blackberry which there is like 40 acres of surrounding me.

I googled it and there a oodles of sources for blackberry honey online and it is the same color as mine. Their are also gobs of pics of bees on blackberry flowers in Google images.

So bees don't work blackberry? Maybe grouchy old beekeeper is wrong? When I stopped the next time there was honey on the counter that was a dark as really dark mollases. I wonder what it was from.

Default Re: Bees don't work blackberry??

I have large fields of blackberries on my property bees all over it every year really doubt they're just sight seeing.

They work the fire out of blackberry here. Pawpaw made a faux pas. Dark honey in the late summer, early fall is usually buckwheat. At least in my neck of the woods.

He did not say his dark honey was blackberry. I was saying I wondered what it was myself. I meant it as a joke because he very well may not know based on his knowledge of bees and blackberries.

I have encountered more than one "knowledgable" beekeeper like pawpaw. Fortunately the old timers in my club are not like that.

Blackberry is one of the main nectar sources in upstate SC, along with tulip poplar. According to NASAs website, it's also one of the main sources for western NC.

Bees work Blackberry hard here in east tx

Bees work blackberries everywhere! It is a case of the old guys insecurity. Afraid of being upstaged by some young gun so he felt the need to put you in your place. Even at the expense of making himself look like a fool.

Cervus is correct the very dark honey is most likely buckwheat. Not a great seller, but many old timers love it.

The honey on the left is Buckwheat.

Mead picture.jpg

dude has no clue, is probably an armchair expert.
    Myself and my boys, we have 200lbs left from this years blackberry season,
    our bees were all of the hedge rows out in the back of our hobby farm.
    plus our backberry hedges are producing more this year than ever the neighbour said in the some odd 50yrs he lived here.

dewberry's/blackberry's are a 60 pound honey flow for us in SE Texas in the spring - that sets off drone laying here

Honey bees certainly do work blackberry. Several weeks ago the blackberries in my neighborhood were covered in bees. Now we have a huge crop of berries, and bees are still working the few straggler blossoms on the bushes.

All beekeeping is local. It is possible that Pawpaw has something blooming in his area that the bees prefer over blackberry. (stupid bees!)

Wiki's nectar source link says blackberry is a "major in some areas". So are raspberries.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northe...for_honey_bees

I have a short row of thorn less blackberries, my honey bees all over them.

I'm NOT saying that bees DON'T work blackberry, but it's not a major source for me. Blackberry blooms here about the same time as Tulip Poplar and white clover. We have a few blackberries growing around our field edges and lots and lots of blackberries growing on very poor fallow areas. I do see honeybees on it occasionally but not in significant numbers. I do wonder if it has something to do with the soil it grows in. Most of the blackberries here are growing in soil so poor it will only grow sage grass and pine trees.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Blackberries tend to grow in acidic soil with low nitrogen. One way the old timers knew when a field needed it, the blackberries sprouted in their hedge rows.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    Blackberries tend to grow in acidic soil with low nitrogen. One way the old timers knew when a field needed it, the blackberries sprouted in their hedge rows.
    No wonder they've covered the fallow fields around here. I live on Sand Mountain. The soil isn't sand, but the shallow bedrock is sand stone. Very little limestone in the subsoil. The soil does contain lots of degraded sandstone sand, and is generally not very fertile and is very acidic. To keep our pastures and hay fields productive we have to apply 2 tons of lime every other year and put out copious amounts of fertilizer.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Bees love blackberry ... and it is my only real nectar flow.

Mostly bumblebees on my blackberry blossoms. It could be something better blooms at the same time, or it could be the type of blackberry - maybe the wild ones are not as sweet? Dunno.

Bumblebees actually do the heavy lifting on most of my edible plants, like wild raspberries too. I always see bumbles on those, and never have seen a honeybee on the raspberries. From what I see in my neck of the woods, the honeybees love the wilds and invasives, and they love the buckwheat, the white clover, the plantain. Of course, the goldenrod and asters and king of all, the dandelions.

Dandelion is big for me. I have my own 4.5 acres, and there are many more such properties near me that are not mowed often.

I have an hoa minded neighbor who mows part of my lot. I have to explain that I am farming and the dandelions are in my crop cycle.