Default Jar feeders prone to robbing?

Hi,

I started to feed a few of the weakest nucs in my yard using inverted jars. The entrances are reduced using wire cloth. However it's interesting that I see no fighting on the entrance and many robbers around the jars trying to slip under. I don't have extra boxes to shelter them.
    It seems to confuse the robbers anyway. Let's hope they don't try the entrance instead.
    Dfa (Humid continental warm summer climate)

Default Re: Jar feeders prone to robbing?

I had to stop feeding because of the robbing. I have a nearby apiary(~130 hives - 200m). Last Autumn had the same kind of problems but only 2 powerfull hives. Now I have nucs. Fortunatelly most of them have eoungh stores to go through the winter.
    Should I try a different kind of feeder? Wich one?

I would go with a top feeder or I really like the frame feeder from Mann. All of my Palmer type Nucs have them all are still making comb.
    David

Make some robber screens and then you can use any kind of feeder you want whenever you need to. It may be the easiest to build piece of equipment there is.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Am I correct in understanding that your jars are at the entrance to the hive in what we in the States know as a Boardman Feeder?

If so that type of feeder is well known for robbing issues. You will have much better success placing the inverted jar on some sticks above the inner cover and surrounding the jar with an additional box. Outer cover on top of the added box.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

I put a jar inverted right in the hive body on a couple of pieces of wood to provide the space for the bees to get underneath. No chance of robbing or pests that way. It takes up more space than using a frame feeder but I was short on time. That's easy in my top bar hives so Andrew's idea is better for Langstroth hives.

Jeff.

I put my jars right over the hole in the top cover

I use to use pint jars but now use QT.

I keep all nucs with my big hives and have had no problems with robbing.

I keep my entrance's very small all year

My nuc's and big hives live in perfect harmony.
    I only feed nucs and just the ones that need help.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Thanks for all the ideas. My biggest mistake was that I started feeding a bit too late as we are almost in a dearth.

Robbing can be a problem, especially when you overfeed nucs. I use a different feeding arrangement for my nucs, especially new splits. Typically I use 4 or five frame nucs, just last weekend I made 25 splits and I will probably end up with a 90% success rate. I always top feed my nucs, my feeder jar is a Gatorade bottle that I have drilled only one hole in the top. This amount last about 7-10 days and I. fill with 2 to 1 feeder solution, 2 parts sugar 1 part water by weight. There are a few added ingredients like nutrients and some natural additives that I find helpful. the losses that I incur usually come from hive beetles, welcome to hot muggy Florida, home of the hive beetle. The opening in my nuc tops is about 1 3/4 inches, the Gatorade bottle fits perfect and provides plenty of food for the nuc to consume at a slow rate.
    I have used feeder jars that disperses way too much food and it drops through the screen bottom boards and attracts robbers and ants. The Gatorade bottles are free, clear in color so you can see the volume consumed and last a long time, so how can a cheap old beek do any better?? Top feeding at slow rates is a big advantage to avoid robbing. Yes, close down that entrance, no need to keep the front door open!

Nuc feeder.jpg

I forgot, this is the top feeder I tried with the nuc, not enough room in a 5 frame for a jar.

Jeff.

In order to save the syrup I refilled the jars and put them upside down on wooden shims inside the boxes.
    I forgot to mention that the nucs are in singles and have space left for the jars. It doesn't spills as I only put 5-7 holes in the cap. If I were to have spare boxes I would have put them above the frames protected by a second box but, luckily for me, there is space inside the singles. The nucs that occupy the whole box have enough stores.
    See what happens tomorow...

Clever plan.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com