Default Woo Hoo! Hive is thriving in CO winter

Really pumped my other hive is thriving (other hive died). Temps are in the 50's here in Denver and the bees are digging on the sugar cakes and numbers look amazing. Good luck to everyone this winter!
    Adam Buchanan
    Call or email me to chat bees! 720-789-0243 adam@adamcbuchanan.com

Default Re: Woo Hoo! Hive is thriving in CO winter

Nice to hear! Good luck the rest of the winter. This Tuesday the temps are finally getting to 45 with light wind. I am going in (real quick) ready to top off sugar as needed in my 5 colonies.

Phil

Adam,

Sounds good. Make sure that you keep the feed on them for the next couple of months which is the period during which they are most likely to starve. Consider robbing honey from your deadout and giving it to your live hive in about a month or so.

Steve

Mine all fly on the warm days, even on some cold days. I didn't rob any hives too much this year so they all went into winter heavy and haven't lost any yet. Our worst weather is typically January to early March and only one nuc is showing minimal signs of nosema but nothing to worry about. The hives are all still heavy even with this on/off cold weather. None of my hives are getting cracked open until late February or early March.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

Great to hear! I'm going to get out today to some of the outyards and check food stores. The bees chewed through their stores this fall with regular flying days into December. I put dry sugar on all the hives and nucs in the beginning of December when I winterized for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by rwurster View Post
    Mine all fly on the warm days, even on some cold days. I didn't rob any hives too much this year so they all went into winter heavy and haven't lost any yet. Our worst weather is typically January to early March and only one nuc is showing minimal signs of nosema but nothing to worry about. The hives are all still heavy even with this on/off cold weather. None of my hives are getting cracked open until late February or early March.
    What is considered "minimal signs of nosema?" I have a hive that is spotted by the upper entrance and poop all over the snow. It is not flying weather - only 22 degrees for a high - and yet I saw bees coming out and collapsing in the snow. I even saw one fly out and poop in front of me, but they don't go back in. There are about 70 dead bees around the hive - none that I looked at had K-wing, one of the signs of nosema. I can hear the bees humming through the 2" insulation. they were strong going into the winter and still sound, but I am fearful that they night not make it.

If it is nosema there is not much that I can do until spring. Except worry.

The only way to tell for sure is looking at bee samples under a microscope. If it warms up enough you could collect dead bees off the bottom board. Don't move any of the hive bodies. Just remove the entrance reducer and use a stick or coat hanger to pull dead bees out. The samples can be sent to the Beltsville Bee Lab for testing. Go to the website and look at how to prepare a sample for nosema testing. If you belong to a Bee Club, maybe someone local will look at samples.

If we had beekeepers in Trinidad, Fort Collins and Cheyanne responding we would have the eastern slope of the front range covered for 300 miles. The nuc is having some visible dysentery problems. We'll see how they do in the spring.
    Facebook

I'm close to Ft. Collins about 30 minutes away. My outyards looked good, all alive and seemed to be doing real well, even the overwintering nucs. Still lots of winter left in Colorado. Hard to believe, it was over 60 degrees do to the Chinook wind. I hope everyone else is doing well.

Good to hear, all mine are doing good too. The pattern where I am is that they make it through the winter but the dearth and the cold of early spring is when the starve outs happen. Lots of winter left, that's for sure.
    Facebook