Default Importance of Honeybees

How important are honeybees when it comes to providing Food to Americans? I saw an illustration this past weekend that may really stick in your head and in your customers heads too. Unfortunately I don't have the actual picture, you have to imagine what it would look like.

Imagine a profile image of a chicken, a pig, a cow, and a honeybee. Do you have those pictured in your brain? Go ahead and stack them one atop the other, standing on each other's backs in order of importance based on their contribution to what Americans eat. I'll give you a minute.

Got it set? How did you stack them? By actual physical size? Or did you inflate their size proportional to their importance and placed in the stack according to their importance?

The illustration that Karen Rennich of the Bee Informed Partnership showed us this past weekend had these 4 animals, in black and white profile line drawings stacked this way. Starting at the bottom she had a Cow for its meat and milk, next came a Pig, standing on the back of the Cow, of proper size in comparison to the normal sized dairy or beef cow, then there was a Honeybee on the back of the Pig greatly enlarged and in Red, w/a Chicken atop the Honeybee.

If you have a Market Stand, maybe you'd like to try to get that illustration from Karen. It would be a great conversation starter.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Thumbs Up Re: Importance of Honeybees

the honeybee in the us has a bigger total $$ impact than the chicken... cattle [with beef and dairy] #1, pork #2, bees [honey, pollination etc.] #3, and chicken #4... this was surprising to me also.

Default Re: Importance of Honeybees

Quote Originally Posted by mathesonequip View Post
    the honeybee in the us has a bigger total $$ impact than the chicken... cattle [with beef and dairy] #1, pork #2, bees
    [honey, pollination etc.] #3, and chicken #4... this was surprising to me also.
    Bees are a bigger industry than the $40-billion-dollar+ poultry industry? I would like to see where those figures came from.

EDIT: From a reference on Karen Rennich's blog on Beeinformed.org

About a third of our foods (some 100 key crops) rely on these insects, including apples, nuts, all the favorite summer fruits (like blueberries and strawberries), alfalfa (which cows eat), and guar bean (used in all kinds of products). In total, bees contribute more than $15 billion to U.S. crop production, hardly small potatoes.

Last edited by Nabber86; 11-24-2014 at 12:45 PM.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3