Default NEWBIE NEEDS HELP

I am a first year newbie with two hives. My first hive are Italians that were started in April and are doing fine. The problem hive are small cell Carnies that wre started from a nuc in May. They started out gang busters and caught up with the first hive quickly. They filled the two deep brood boxes and I put on a med honey super about 4-5 weeks ago. I have keep a check on them and they haven't drawn a single cell in the honey super (full wax wired foundation) I check them again yesterday and same thing. I decided to check the entire hive frame by frame. The first surprise was that the top deep brood box was filled about 75% with honey, with a few brood capped cells and a few capped drone cells. The bottom brood box has a little honey with some capped brood but mostly empty drawn comb. I didn't do an exhaustive queen search, I can't half see and have trouble finding the queen (the Carnie queen is not marked)..The hive doesn't seem to exhibit any signs of being queenless, the bee population appear to be goods and I didn't see a single queen cell in the entire hive. I have several problems and questions I'm hoping you experienced beeks can help me with.

1) I need to do something with the deep honey frames. All the deep frames are wax small cell foundation drawn from 2" starter stripes and are not wired. I didn't plan to extracting the brood frames, so didn't wire them. Would I be able to extract these frames if I rubber-banded them in place good before extraction? I hate to crush and drain this good drawn frames and would like to save them. Suggestions?

2) Obviously, the bigger problem is the lack of eggs or capped brood. What would you old timers do with this mess of a hive.

Any suggestions, advice, ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance for any assistance.

D

Default Re: NEWBIE NEEDS HELP

What do you mean by a few capped cells and do you have any lava uncapped if the nectar flow has dried up they will not draw comb and carnis will slow the brood with the change of the flow. bees will move up and out of the lower brood box as the season progresses I would not extract the honey your bees will need it through the dearth and the up coming winter If you have a fall flow you may be able to get that honey super drawn out and filled

On the frames - make a basket with some screen wire to fit - then you should be able to extract without destroying the frames - BUT - live and learn
    YA may want to check again for eggs - if your honey flow quit - so has the queen on egg production - this is there way of reducing the population of the hive - where the hive will use less food - My queens right now only have 2 or 3 frames with eggs in them - hard to split that way

Would reverseing the deeps be in order in case you get a fall flow ?

Quote Originally Posted by beegineer View Post
    Would reverseing the deeps be in order in case you get a fall flow ?
    No

Next time do what most people say is not needed, use wire or fishing line..

Just a question on why reversing would be bad , it sounds like their flow is over so the bees will not draw out the super , the top brood box is seventy five percent filled with honey and some brood that would be the middle seven frames the bottom brood box has some brood and some honey but mostly empty , reversing would keep the brood nest together but still allow the bees to forage for a fall flow , I thought bees liked to move up and it is hard to feed on empty frames after the present brood hatches and empty brood boxs are not what I want but what the heck Im from missouri. No is not anwer to learn from.

Quote Originally Posted by beegineer View Post
    Just a question on why reversing would be bad , it sounds like their flow is over so the bees will not draw out the super , the top brood box is seventy five percent filled with honey and some brood that would be the middle seven frames the bottom brood box has some brood and some honey but mostly empty , reversing would keep the brood nest together but still allow the bees to forage for a fall flow , I thought bees liked to move up and it is hard to feed on empty frames after the present brood hatches and empty brood boxs are not what I want but what the heck Im from missouri. No is not anwer to learn from.
    You want honey above the brood nest in the winter. Heat rises so it's easier for bees to go up to get food. In the spring they should be in the top starting to build up the bottom box should be filled with pollen that is when you should be reversing boxes by putting the bottom on top of the brood nest to give them room move up.

Re-reading the OP again and again it sounds like the bees have already moved up in that it said the bottom box had some honey and some brood but mostly empty . In rib lake WI or Missouri those bees would be dead by spring on less they catch a fall flow or are fed syrup to fill the bottom box (my reason for reversing ) or sugar in some fashion but I realize all beekeeping is local maybe sakhoney will step in here from his profile he has the years of experience that I do not and is from the Great State of Texas and the home state of Nolan Ryan.Just sounds like the OPs hive is in a pickle being how they cannot extract which I think would be a bad idea anyway since that is your brood box and the second deep is basically empty just my thoughts ,I've beaten my horse to death now ( Easy now just a figure of speech). Bee blessed and may your hives thrive.

Thanks for the fine intro beegineer
    Ok - first - are the bees still flying in and out like you have a good honeyflow going on? - If the honeyflow has stopped - and in my area it has - the queen will lay off on egg production to reduce population of the hive during the dearth (no nectar flow) If you start feeding the queen will start back up with egg production. Also some pollen patty's for the brood rearing. If you use the patties - be aware there SHB magnets - 1 X 1 squares every couple of days instead of a big old slab. This is why you see so much empty room in the lower box - that's the brood nest - just not needed as of now.
    If it was me feeding I would also include some food coloring to see where the syrup is in the hive. If you just let them be - when your fall flow starts you will see a big difference - brood nest will fill up, but the goldenrod honey is not table grade. Bee food only in my book