Default Setting Out Equipment Early

I'm new to bee keeping (getting a package this spring). I've got my hive boxes built and painted. My hive stand is ready for the hive. Is there any danger to placing the hive out on the hive stand early? Do I run the risk of wasps moving in before I can hive my package? Thanks.

Default Re: Setting Out Equipment Early

Set it up. Very little risk in the next few weeks of a wasp take over. If they do move in take the lid off and hit the inside with a waterhose for a bit they will relocate.

You could set it up and keep the entrance closed. That is what I did last year. Worked fine for me.

You never know, wasps could move in, so could a swarm of bees. Might as well set it up.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by whiskers View Post
    You never know, wasps could move in, so could a swarm of bees. Might as well set it up.
    Bill
    Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by johngfoster View Post
    I'm new to bee keeping (getting a package this spring). I've got my hive boxes built and painted. My hive stand is ready for the hive. Is there any danger to placing the hive out on the hive stand early?
    The advantages of convenience and seasoning outweigh the disadvantages.

Do I run the risk of wasps moving in before I can hive my package?
    Keep an eye out and remove them if they move in.
    David

I have all of my hives et and ready for packages to be delivered 3 weeks from now. Do it every year without a problem. I also clean and check all frames and replace any older frames. Good housekeeping.

I don't think wasps show up here until after packages arrive, and they don't tend to be a problem until late summer, unless I'm forgetting. If you're nervous about something moving in, you can tape the entrances shut with duct tape.

I don't think there will be any swarms by the time packages arrive either (at least in the north), so I doubt any bees will move in there on their own. Wouldn't that be nice tho.

FWIW, I set up a hive to be ready for my mentor to come over and do a split. Long story short, he had some stuff going on and didn't get over for three weeks. Couple of days before he was due, I went down to check the empty hive and found a large ant colony had moved in. Hauled everything back to the barn and blasted with garden hose to get rid of them. They BITE!! :-) Moved everything back and set it up. Mentor opined that since I had foundation and drawn comb, the drawn comb attracted them. Since you probably don't have drawn comb, you should be safe in setting up and might get a swarm, also, newly built, glued, painted hives should be "aired" for a while, can't hurt. Also, from that experience, I researched ants and bees and discovered that they're very closely related, what kills or "dissuades" one also affects the other. A healthy colony will take care of ants with no outside intervention.

I failed to mention that I have had a raccoon problem with my hives that are awaiting bee packages.They can BEE very disruptive and rip hives apart. I ordered an device that is supposed to be scary to coons and other small critters..... doubt that will work.

woodedareas - you can try strapping them with a ratchet strap.

So I set my hive out early to get it "aired out". I initially put all deeps and supers on together and left it this way for about a week or so, then took everything down except for the bottom deep.

I then left just the single deep (with covers) out for another week or so and have checked on it about once a week or so. At first, I found just this guy.

Then, earlier this week I found these:

I sprinkled a bit of lemon grass oil in the hive body on the inner walls. I may have overdone it though. I hope it doesn't chase the honey bees away. Will this tend to discourage the wasps? I haven't heard of any honeybee swarms in our area yet.

Quote Originally Posted by johngfoster View Post
    So I set my hive out early to get it "aired out". I initially put all deeps and supers on together and left it this way for about a week or so, then took everything down except for the bottom deep.

I then left just the single deep (with covers) out for another week or so and have checked on it about once a week or so. At first, I found just this guy.

Then, earlier this week I found these:

I sprinkled a bit of lemon grass oil in the hive body on the inner walls. I may have overdone it though. I hope it doesn't chase the honey bees away. Will this tend to discourage the wasps? I haven't heard of any honeybee swarms in our area yet.
    Like the camo.

Raise your hand if you're now deciding to move to Montana.

Nice Tundra commercial too.

How did you get such a nice camo pattern that crosses between boxes?

(I'd also paint your entrance reducer, as soon as you have a chance. Unpainted ones tend to swell and get stuck in place.)

I really like your paint job!

Enj.

Thanks. I REALLY love living where we do.

The camo paint job was a take-off of a technique used to camo rifles by service personnel. Paint used was a good quality exterior grade latex primer, and then Krylon Ultra Flat camo spray paint--Khaki, Olive Drab (OD), Brown (rattle can). Here's a brief run-down:
    1. 2 coats of good quality latex primer on entire hive.
    2. With the whole hive assembled, spray a light base coat of khaki over whole hive.
    3. Draw and cut out stencils of random blob/streak shapes in some substantial paper or cardboard (cereal box works well).
    4. Randomly spray brown and OD shapes all over the hive until about 60% of the surface is painted with the stencils.
    5. Use a handful of straw/grass/weeds and use that as a stencil for a light dusting over top of everything, again in random places. Try to keep the orientation of the grass vertical so it looks natural. This is done with the hive fully assembled.

I'm expecting my package of bees this coming Friday (4/29/16), and am planning to do a YouTube video blog, documenting my journey. We'll see how this goes.