Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When Will You Start Nucs And Splits

Weather lets me I hope to do some splits in Early April here in Ky. How about You?

Default Re: When Will You Start Nucs And Splits

I ordered queens to make splits the first week in May up here on the tundra. But then my weather is warmer than yours at the moment.

Thermometer on truck said -8 this morning. Ready for Spring here! What kind of queens Vance G.?

Depends on what the situation is in mid April. I have 2 small colonies, one I hope is large, and have a package with queen on order to be delivered around first week in April. If I have at least a large winter survivor with a strong laying queen, I will likely start splitting around May 1.

Likely I will split into 5-frame nucs, then transfer into 8-frame boxes.

I will be doing walk away splits in 5 frame nucs. Had good luck with them in past but early start didnt do as well last year due to weather. Later Spring splits were 100% success.

Your basic Italian queens from a summer resident commercial guy who has his mother in the mountains in California raising them for him. I am going to try to raise some of my own mutts to requeen with. They are Heinz 57 but keep getting more Italian. I have some dark queens ordered for June. Caucasians from Strachan and some Carnie mutts a couple kids in Minnesota are raising. Fifties forecast the next two days here and then a cooling off to around freezing days which would be approaching normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Possom View Post
    Thermometer on truck said -8 this morning. Ready for Spring here! What kind of queens Vance G.?

Vance, Seems like you are leaning to the Italian queens. Would you mind if I ask why Italian over Russian? I ordered 10 Russian queens for June and another 10 for july. From everything Iv read I believe russians may be better for me in this aria and I'm always interested in other peoples ideas. Thanks

I guess I have heard enough sideliners and commercial guys talk about their bad experience with Russians, not taking a new queen, swarming, and being on the defensive side to make me wary. Then I got some mite resistant queens from a breeder in Washington and tested them for him. The queens I raised from those queens tended to be pretty defensive and some just plain mean. I won't intentionally bring in any more.

I have gotten Italian mite resistant queens from Florida that wintered as well as the Russians so I don't hold the wintering thing as a great reason to get Russians. I have come to believe that how you winter the bees is much more important than their genetics. Additionally, every summer an ocean of Italian commercial bees inundates this prairie and our bees are going to drift that direction whether we like it or not. I hope this is the year when I can raise my own queens and winter enough nucs that I won't be needing to buy queens in the spring following years.

You there on the warm side of the mountains should be able to winter Italians just fine or carnies or Russians if you like them.

Weather lets me I hope to do some splits in Early April here in Ky. How about You?
    We will probably do "cut down" splits around the first of may. We probably make our summer splits the second week of July. Towards the end of the sourwood bloom.

Shane

First week of March, queens arrive from Hawaii from a classmate of my wifes. Our temps should be back up into the low 70's. My bigger hives are brooding up and have capped drone cells, some are already needing extra space. Second round of splits in April.

I will be doing walk away splits in 5 frame nucs. Had good luck with them in past but early start didnt do as well last year due to weather. Later Spring splits were 100% success.
    What date was your "early start"?

My original plan was the 1st week of March. The recent return of winter has be rethinking that. I was just planning on pulling any swarm cells and using them to staff a queen castle. I doubt that I will be able to open the hives again for several weeks now.

Quote Originally Posted by philip.devos View Post
    What date was your "early start"?
    First week of April i made first splits. Lost 4 of 5. Longer than normal spring, lots of cold and rain, and unsuccessful mating/lost queens was my guess.

It depends on the weather, but probably early April.
    Since '09-30H-T-Z6b

looks like everyone in the east will be a few weeks late this year. I'll bet every ones packages will also be late. no fault of the supplier.

I do my splits at the end of April. I make up overwintering Nucs in June and continue into July.

I plan to make my splits in the middle of April.

I start splitting around April 15th with mated queens.

Hope to try a walk away split or three around the first of March. Have 2 hives with drones hatching within a week. Hope to look at grafting between first of March to March 15. Should be able to easily do start walk away splits by the 15 of March.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 2 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

i plan to shoot for when the dandilions are blooming well to try a few splits.