Default Spacing of double nucs or single deep hives and 3 big hives apart ??

I have 3 new single deep hives and a double nuc made from an old 10fr deep.
    I also have 3 big hives double deep and 3 supers or more.
    I am wondering the best placement or spacing for them in the apiary.
    My concern is robbing, now and especially later in the summer.

Yes, robber screens and yes they face South to South East.

Thanks for your thoughts/advice.

Default Re: Spacing of double nucs or single deep hives and 3 big hives apart ??

How large an area do you have to work with?
    40 years - 25 colonies, 32 Nucs - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

Default Re: Spacing of double nucs or single deep hives and 3 big hives apart ??

90' x 90' is my fenced in old dog agility yard.
    I do have a big pecan tree on the east side, but it does shed in the winter.
    On the south side the fence line that is 6' outside the yard is solid cedar trees that are maybe 50' tall so they do block the winter sun for part of the yard.

As long as the nucs and hives are strong, I have never had issue with robbing. but in Missouri it might be different than Texas. we don't have the dearth you have I do not think.

The big 3 hives are strong for sure.
    The 3 single deeps are new - 1 has new queen of 3 weeks - 1 has 6 fr from nuc, new queen from capped QC april 21.- the one is a downsize from supercedure. I also have the double nuc that I'll be putting frames in to try to raise another queen.

You teach agility to old dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by Natilie View Post
    90' x 90' is my fenced in old dog agility yard.
    I do have a big pecan tree on the east side, but it does shed in the winter.
    On the south side the fence line that is 6' outside the yard is solid cedar trees that are maybe 50' tall so they do block the winter sun for part of the yard.
    The bees are good at fixing my mistakes

Some agility things can be taught to old dogs.

My agility dogs are old now. 15, 10 and 7 years old now.

I'm not able to do agility any longer. poo

====

I'm hoping the bees are good at fixing my mistakes.

I would place the colonies in pairs, in a row from West to East. A pair will cover a length of about 4 feet. I would start on the West side of the area with the first pair and work East, and far enough away from the West and North fences that you will have plenty of work room and room to mow around the colonies. I like to have about 8 feet of work space between the fence and the colony area, and 12 to 16 feet between colony pairs. If you make a second row I would have 20 feet between rows.

Robbing is not affected as much by hive placement as drifting is, robbing is better controlled by using robber clothes during inspections, using entrance sizes that the colony can control, using care when feeding so feed is not spilled and feeding late in the day.
    40 years - 25 colonies, 32 Nucs - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

Quote Originally Posted by AR Beekeeper View Post
    I would place the colonies in pairs, in a row from West to East. A pair will cover a length of about 4 feet.
    This is generally how our colonies are setup. We have bases for six, although the most recent could theoretically handle 3 ten-frame hives just because of how things worked out.

Humble assistant to new beek Alison as well as family purveyor of luxury Bee condominiums and Paparazzi activities...

Thanks AR B - big help.
    Am getting ready to make a new stand - now I have a better idea size and where to put it. Ground is not level any longer and hubby will be unhappy with my decision. but it can work, just takes more leveling.
    What to put underneath to fight the coastal hay that does not give up easily - still growing under the metal sunk under the garden fence edges. And Bahia is so fun too. ha ha
    And I can see that I could move/rotate one that has 1 hive on it that would make a 2nd row easier. Planted several vitex on the south side of yard last year. Hoping the gophers don't get them too.
    I forgot to add that the West 10' outside the fence line has a row of live oaks I planted years ago - now very tall. Helps with hot west wind in the summer.

thanks for the picture Jim, nice, you do good work and her hive looks like it is doing well too - looks like you used cinder blocks - works. best wishes
    We came from Maryland and we still call them cinder blocks - different name down here.

Natilie, the blocks I use are called "cap blocks" and have a solid top. These sit on top of a piece of flagstone that was removed from an old patio. The flagstone is on top of a bed of 3/8 red stone...the same stuff I use for "mulch" in our landscaping. (I no longer us organic mulch since it just turns into soil)

On your question about controlling the hay/grass, etc., if you put down some landscape cloth and then cover with some form of stone to a depth of 4-6", you'll control it pretty well under the hives.
    Humble assistant to new beek Alison as well as family purveyor of luxury Bee condominiums and Paparazzi activities...

thanks jim