Thread: What is this?

Question What is this?

What is this finger of comb hanging on the bottom of the frame? This is in a new hive this spring, is that a queen cell? Should I remove it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: What is this?

that is a ripe queen cell - looking at the frame - is there eggs and brood in the middle of the frame?

I dont remember forsure but I believe so. I assume I should remove this since its a new hive? I just added the second brood box today.

make sure you have a laying queen - if so better get it out quick - like at first daybreak

The queen I got was marked with a white spot, she seems to be laying really good.

Typically the queen and primary swarm leave when QC is capped. IF you find queen I think I would pull her out and make a split.

well if you want to keep her - better get that cell knocked down. Ya may want to look for others as well - usually they make more than 1

This afternoon the queen was there on the next frame over from this one. This was the only one I seen.

So if I make a split I remove the queen I have and let the new queen hatch and stay in that hive it hatched in?

It's a supercedure, make a split taking the original queen out.

I move the queen to a fresh box, putting her on empty drawn comb. Also bring over some open nectar until they get going. The rest can be empty comb or new frames. The more empty comb, the better. Sometimes I will also give them a frame with some open brood to give them a head start but this isn't necessary. Put this in the original hive site so it gets the field force. This will simulate a swarm; flyers, queen, no brood. This hive will have little to maintain so they will quickly take off. For the other hive, give it all the brood and most of the stores and put this hive in a new spot. It will get nurses moved up to forage but it takes them some time. They will use their brood to make their new queen. This hive will experience a brood break but should quickly recover.

I woke up at 5 thinking about the bees so I went and split them this morning. That monster queen cell didnt hatch yet.

I only have 2 feeders so I have to run and go get another. I hope they do ok, the frame the old queen was on was packed solid with brood so they should be making a lot more bees very soon.

did not adding the 2nd deep soon enough cause them to make the new queen?

that depends - sometime new hives just do this - also how much room was in the box that made the cell? Also on a new feeder - new paint can from any big box store - pour in feed - poke little holes in the top - turn over - install box and lid it.

the hive had 2 completely empty frames plus one side of a empty frame and the frame feeder. This was also the box where is looked like they took the wax coating off the 2 frames. I did replace those though with new frames.

Common for a package to supercede, but don't judge a queen by her pattern and think the bees can't possibly be thinking of replacing her, because they replace her when they sense something wrong or some imbalance from her and brood pheromone.

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Common for a package to supercede, but don't judge a queen by her pattern and think the bees can't possibly be thinking of replacing her, because they replace her when they sense something wrong or some imbalance from her and brood pheromone.
    From what ive read if the queen cell is on the bottom of a frame then they are going to swarm off, if the queen cell is higher in the frame then that queen is to stay in that hive.

So lets say the bees want a new queen and make a new one. What happens to the old one, do they kick her out of the hive?

This thing still didnt hatch and now they built other queen cells, should I be worried?