Default Need a little advice please . . .

I checked my 8 hives for the 1st time this year this past weekend and found that I had either left them too much honey stores last year, or they made honey after I extracted last year. Anyway, the hives were full of honey and I had to take the honey to empty the supers to get ready for the spring flow. As I was extracting honey from the frames, I did some sampling, as did several of my friends and we all thought it was the best honey we have ever tasted. The problem came a few minutes later as we all experienced a burning sensation in our throats. It didn't last long and wasn't terribly painful, but it was noticeable and rather disconcerting.
    My questions are:
    Should I have harvested this overwintered honey?
    Has anyone experienced this burning sensation in your honey? (We have not noticed it in the past 2 hears that I've been extracting honey.)
    Does anyone know for sure what causes it?
    It is safe to bottle, sell, and consume?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I hae several hundred pounds sitting in buckets and don't know whether or not I should bottle it. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice you might send my way.
    Tom Phillips
    Corsicana, TX

Default Re: Need a little advice please . . .

In my limited knowledge with honey I don't know what flowers/contamination that can caused this issue.
    Perhaps to title your post as burning honey will get more attention.
    If a few ppl feel the same sensation then I would not bottle it. Instead, feed them back to
    the bees for the brood build up to increase your colony size this year. Also, pay attention to the
    flowers that was blooming during the Fall to see what they are collecting. And what factory or company
    is around your 3 mile radius to see any possible contamination around where you live. Never bottle and sell
    suspected honey without testing them first. Fresh honey should taste smooth and sweet depending on the flowers type.
    I luv bee source!

Just a thought, did you treat with anything during the fall flow?

If there are pepper farms near you?

I would try to find out what type of honey it is. then base your decision on that, ask other local beek.

You might try a mead, wine or beer sometimes you can make a very fine beverage with different types of honey.

I'd suspect a mite treatment (Apivar?) in the fall. The label says it will burn the skin. I wouldn't bottle it, sorry.

Fall in this area is usually golden rod and aster. I've never heard of either making you burn. Yes, they can make a lot of honey in the fall when we have late summer or fall rains. i usually leave it and they use it up in March and early April making brood.

I do not think the golden rod and aster will burn. Must be something else
    in the honey doing that. Need to find out what it is and hopefully will not repeat again
    this season.
    I luv bee source!