Default "Winter Hardy Bees"

I was browsing the net a month or two months ago looking for locally reared queens (Massachusetts/New England) and found this guy in NY that sells packages of bees and will send a locally reared queen a few weeks/months later as part of the deal.
    Unfortunately I have not been able to find his website since and I'm hoping that someone here might know who/what I'm talking about.

Many thanks,

Jacob V.

Default Re: "Winter Hardy Bees"

I think the keepers name is mr. davis he is near binghampton ny, a friend was very happy with the bees from him this year.. davis family honey farm [607]349-8376

How well do the package bees maintain themselves waiting weeks or months for a queen? Or am I missing something? He must sell queen right packages and then sells queens to replace queens that came w/ the packages? Just 3:30 thinking out loud. Don't mind me.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

the bees are standard southern packages. a second northern queen is sent later in the season for a mid-summer re-queen.. good idea.

Yep, that was it.

Thank you much

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    How well do the package bees maintain themselves waiting weeks or months for a queen?
    I would like to rephrase your question. How long can you leave a queenless split before it becomes difficult or reduces the chances for a queen to be accepted? If they start a queen cell will they not accept a queen?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Find a northern queen producer that you like, order a queen for july or whenever the best queenrearing is for your area and buy any package from anywhere and requeen when your survivor queen arrives. In six weeks you are where you think you want to be.

I understand that mr. davis offered a spring nuc and latter a local queen at a reduced cost as a combination. this also put you in line first for an at times scarce local queen. mr. davis got some freedom to manage his queen ready to go dates and bookings. win/win for buyer and seller the very best deal for all.