Thread: Dead Bees

Default Dead Bees

Bees were flying yesterday, warmed into the low 60's. One hive had what I thought was extreme activity at both the reduced entrance and the opening in the inner cover. I thought robbing may be going on, so I opened the hive to check. Still had live bees, but the bottom board was thick with dead bees and had somewhat of a fermented smell. There were bees on the ground in front of the hive that would try to fly, but couldn't. A couple of weeks ago I noticed the landing board and inner cover opening were splattered with yellowish spots which I figured was dysentery. Could this be what has caused the death of so many bees? The bees on the bottom board were still soft, and many still had a little life in them.
    Thanks

Default Re: Dead Bees

Check out the post http://www.beverlybees.com/how-to-au...ey-bee-colony/ for clues. Your colony may not be a dead out, but the symptoms you describe are suspicious and mentioned in Anita's post.

Aaron
    2 hives, Carniolans | No T | Zone 8b (Olympic Peninsula, WA)

Default Re: Dead Bees

Thanks, I'll check out the post. Looked at the hive again today, am certain the hive is now being robbed.
    John