Default Trap Using New Boxes? Or wait till next year?

I started beekeeping last spring. Both of my hives are still looking strong and will hopefully make it trough the rest of the winter.

I was able to secure a bunch of free barn boards and have been making 8 frame medium hive bodies. I plan on using these for swarm traps, and will probably do something like this to increase the capacity to around 40 liters:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ame-Swarm-Trap

Since I don't have any lived-in boxes, would I be better served to just rotate all these new boxes through my existing hives this year to give them "that smell" ... then use them for traps next year, or go ahead and place them out and take my chances? Was thinking of giving them each about a month on the hive to increase my chances.

What are the success rates using new boxes without much comb in them? I do have limited comb, but it is not brood comb.

Thanks.

Default Re: Trap Using New Boxes? Or wait till next year?

I melt propolis and wax around the inside of the entrance with a torch to give them that just like home smell. Have caught swarms in a lot of new boxes, with some old comb of course.

Finally, one I can answer. Call Kelleybees.com and order a few of their used nucs. I just got 2 for the same reason, to try trapping swarms. They are ones they used and in great shape and they smell like bees so they should work just fine.

You have to start somewhere. Why not use new boxes with LGO? LGO is the most effective atractant I have used including commercial swarm lures marketed by a major bee supplier. In my climate old comb just attracts wax moths and gives them a place to multiply.
    When you stop learning you're dead.

I catch a boat load of swarms with new boxes, but you can also take your new boxes and switch with your old boxes you have bees in now.

I used new boxes last year. They weren't quite as productive as used equipment, but they worked. The new ones were about the size of an 8 frame deep. I say go for it. Once you catch a swarm in a box it be hot so hive em and re-deploy. Good luck.....
    Jason Bruns
    LetMBee.com YouTube

Just make barn board boxes for your bees and use the old boxes for traps.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Lemongrass essential oil make s more difference than old boxes. Not that old boxes don't help. I would not hesitate to set traps because I didn't have used boxes.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

"I would not hesitate to set traps because I didn't have used boxes."

Me neither.
    When you stop learning you're dead.

The worst case scenario is that you don't catch anything right? Put them out and you might be pleasantly surprised! I know quite a few people that have been successful at it. I'm getting ready to put a few out this weekend.
    To get more information about raising honey bees visit All About Beekeeping