Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Anybody got a simple hive mover design?

I'm looking to put together a hive moving tool instead of buying one. I'm thinking about a couple of 2X4's and some ratchet clamps, but I don't really have a working design yet. Anybody using a homemade hive mover out there? I'd like it to be able to handle 2 deeps.

Default Re: Anybody got a simple hive mover design?

It's not free but it works pretty good, cost is around $80.00.
    http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/...s/DSC01928.jpg

Any solution is going to be sketchy unless it includes something that protrudes into the hive handle recesses when clamped.
    For me, a piece of angle iron about 2.5-3 inch long, bolted to the 2x4 worked great. Was able to lift and shift a hive with a couple of supers on top ( with help ).

However, keep in mind that any stack of boxes has the weight in the high area ( high center of gravity ) so ANY tilt can be treacherous.

Har far and over what terrain do you want to move. We moved our first hive with a 4 wheeled cart something like a garden cart. It was two deeps and two mediums.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I've seen the 2 man hive moving tool they sell at dadant, mannlake, etc.., I was just curious about some homemade designs. My hives are on 4x4x8 posts set on there sides, 2 cinder blocks high. Lets say I need to move them from their current spot into my pickup truck bed, then over to a new bee yard.

Quote Originally Posted by beeup View Post
    I've seen the 2 man hive moving tool they sell at dadant, mannlake, etc..,
    Those are worth the cost... hold the hives well, good for any terrain two men can walk, fit over telescoping covers, light weight, store easily, last forever. Anyone that can bend conduit and weld could easily imitate one.

I've seen the 2 man hive moving tool they sell at dadant, mannlake, etc.., I was just curious about some homemade designs.
    I made this out fo a old chain link fence Gate only had to buy the bolts $3.00

I'm looking to put together a hive moving tool instead of buying one. I'm thinking about a couple of 2X4's and some ratchet clamps, but I don't really have a working design yet. Anybody using a homemade hive mover out there? I'd like it to be able to handle 2 deeps.
    Do you have a beekeeping friend? Two people can move a 2 deep hive easily if they know how.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Slide the hive onto a sheet of plywood. Two, three or four people lift it up and shove it in the pickup.
    Brian Cardinal

wrap the hives with a couple of ratchet clamps. shove a 2x4 thru each side, clamp it down real tight and pick up and move worked for me in a pinch one day.

One person standing on each side of the hive. Each person puts a hand underneath the bottom board near the front, tilting the hive back. Each places their other hand at the joint of the two boxes at the back of the hive. Doing all this w/ knees bent, slowly stand erect and move sideways to the vehicle.

Ace, before you make recommendations on moving bees, get some experience doing so. Your recommended method will end up w/ spilled hives.

If one must work alone, and you can't pick it up by yourself, something I have done a lot, maybe a handcart would work decently for you. But the uneven ground will pose problems quite often.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

That is why I asked how far and over what terrain. You always think I speak from no experience. If you can flip an eight foot hive over on it's back without the boxes coming undone why do you feel a three box hive will spill strapped to a four wheeled cart? I had no trouble moving our hive with the help of a 140 pound woman. Neither of us hurt our back. I don't think like a beekeeper when it comes to lifting.
    Brian Cardinal

Ace - With your method, dont forget the part where you put a 5-gallon bucket of water on top of the hive to stabilize it before moving. Those wind loads can really build up if you qare moving fast over smooth terrain.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDUQ8wIwAg#

Slide a hive on, back over a ratchet strap, tighten it down, and roll. Works perfect when you are by yourself.

i moved one for a sick beekeeper a while back by taking the boxes apart (3 deeps) and restacking the hive in my wheelbarrow (2 front wheels, a LITTLE more stable than a regular one) and moving it the next evening when they had settled in. worked in a pinch.
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

I've often thought about buying or building something like this to mount in the back of my pickup or on a trailer to assist with moving hives when I'm too old and feeble to do it by myself. I'd have to build an 'L' shaped double fork that centers the load to handle the hive but I think it would work. I have the tractor at the home yard and can use it with the FEL hay fork that doubles as a pallet fork. Trailering the tractor and hauling it to an out yard would be a little overkill. Driving the tractor all the way there and back would be a long haul at a max speed of 30mph. Also hard on the tires but possible.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_74569_74569
    When you stop learning you're dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Humanbeeing View Post
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDUQ8wIwAg#

Slide a hive on, back over a ratchet strap, tighten it down, and roll. Works perfect when you are by yourself.
    Beautiful. A thin sheet of luan to make the sliding easier and its a piece of cake.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Humanbeeing

How does this "sliding" happen when a hive might be 6, 8, 12" or more off the ground?

Does the hive get lowered to the ground first? When is it cake time?
    Last edited by BeeCurious; 02-21-2012 at 04:42 AM. Reason: typo
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Well what ever hight the hive is you have to shim your carrying device to slightly lower, say 1/8 inch. Use bricks, blocks, or dimentional lumber so it is stable and can carry the weight. Use your rachet strap to pull the hive on to the carrier if you need it. The hive might rotate as it slides on. Once the hive is on the carrier where you want it strap it to the carrier. Now mush young puppies and roll it where you want. Can you finger out the unloading?

* If you have strong upper body strength you can use a rope or sling around the bottom with your gut against the carrier to pull it on and off without the rachet strap. One way is quicker. I will let you guess.
    Brian Cardinal

OK, so after the deer cart is up on blocks, one "simply" slides the hive onto the deer cart and ...

I still can't decide when the "piece of cake" is to be enjoyed; after going to Pep Boys to buy some car ramps??

"Whatever the height... "
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast