Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Is there a strong demand for medium nucs?

Tags
nucleus nucs
7K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Rather-b-beekeeping 
#1 ·
I have had a few people ask me if I have any medium nucs, but I have always just used regular deep nucs since that is what I run my colonies in. However, if there is truly a big demand I could definitely start making some up. What are your thoughts? What do medium nucs sell for?

#2 ·
I have had a few people ask me if I have any medium nucs, but I have always just used regular deep nucs since that is what I run my colonies in. However, if there is truly a big demand I could definitely start making some up.
Yes there is... . For some reason, several of the Northern Virginia clubs are promoting mediums, including the club that meets down in Culpepper. Others run all deep. Some are hybrid, but I can think of at least 2 or 3 clubs that tell their members to get mediums.
I have little experience with them, but will make some up this year. I have a few overwintered as 1 D and 1 medium now. As far as I can see, they sell for the same price, unless some folks sell them as 2 story medium nucs- then they are more.

#4 ·
I see, that is interesting. Sounds like there is a demand. I guess I will have to start making some mediums up too. Are you going to do five frame mediums or the eight frame mediums?

#6 ·
There is growing interest here in the Bay Area for medium nucs as well. I see a number of reasons like more and more seniors getting involved in beekeeping and people with back injuries who can't lift as much. There are some local bee club speakers in California who are encouraging 8 frame mediums saying it's a more natural space that best mimics a tree. Michael Bush also uses mediums and I think people trust his judgement.

I use all mediums and do splits into 6 frame medium boxes that I made. I may sell 6 frame medium nucs this spring.

#7 ·
Charlie,

I have been noticing that mediums seem to be promoted at clubs, and like you said, there does seem to be a lot of retired folks in beekeeping. How do you like working with mediums? I've just figured with deeps you have a lot less equipment to put together, but I do like the idea of having fully interchangeable equipment. Now I need to get busy putting the 30 mediums supers I just got together! I need to figure out what type of medium nuc I want to use. The six framers sound interesting!

#11 · (Edited)
How do you like working with mediums? I do like the idea of having fully interchangeable equipment.
I've spent most of the winter cutting down my 10 frame mediums and deeps to 8 frame mediums. You said it best. It's nice to have only one size frame. It's much easier to keep the brood nest open when you can move brood frames up and down replacing with empty frames in the bottom two boxes to prevent swarming.

It's so much easier for me now I wish I had read Michael Bush's website and started out that way and avoided all the work. Another advantage is that you don't have to build nuc boxes anymore. Just use 8 frames medium boxes with 6 frames of bees and the remaining two slots just put follower boards in on each side. As the nuc grows, remove the follower boards and replace with empty frames. You never have to transfer all the frames from the nuc into a hive box.

Hives are easier to move from one yard to another too. Especially when one of your yards is on a four story roof with no elevator:eek:

#8 ·
It takes the same amount of labor to raise medium nucs as it does to raise deeps. Unless you want to give yourself a pay cut, I'd at least charge the same as you do for a a deep nuc.

If you are in area where mediums are in demand and sell out consistently, I'd likely specialize on meds., raise the price to reflect demand, and sell my deeps (if I raised any for sale) for the same premium price as the mediums.

If the deeps don't sell at that price, I'd raise the mediums exclusively.

If the other nucs available in your area are not raised in your region, that too is worth a premium. Your bees do well in your area, and whether real or perceived, many believe that they will produce and survive better if they are local.

I wouldn't get greedy, but I would keep adjusting price until there was a balance between selling as fast as I want them to, and still having a few prospects thinking the price is too high.

#9 ·
Just finished cutting down a case of nuc boxes for this spring, All my old ones are deeps. Been working with a 4H club & helping several women, & older people start beekeeping.
Many of them have chosen to go all medium.
BTW I wouldn't charge any less for them, considering all the hassle & expense associated with accommodating them.

#10 ·
Until now I did very few deeps - only keeping a few full-size hives with deep frames. Most of my Nucs, like my hives, are all mediums. This season I've had more requests for deep Nucs, so I decided to make an effort to produce enough to meet a few orders. I've built some expansion/feeding rims (so I can fit deep frames in my mediums). For now I'm pricing the 5-frame deeps the same as my mediums - $90 each, I'll probably need to up my Nuc prices, at least by next year, after all queens alone are $20 each.

Yes, in my experience, there is a demand for Nucs, medium or deep.

#12 ·
I had inquiries for mediums. I went ahead and made a few boxes. Like previously stated, a lot of clubs seem to promote them. I also think the ladies like/prefer them. :) I'm getting to the point where I think I'm going to like them too. Ten frame deeps five high is getting to be a bit much for me. I'm going to set up a few medium hives to get drawn comb for the fall and next year.

#13 ·
I get asked if I have any available about 2-3 times per season... I don't know if that equates to strong demand, but that is without advertising.

I always just recommend that they buy a deep nuc and build a shim to add to the bottom of their medium box. Then rotate out the deep frames as the season progresses.

#14 ·
Thanks for all the input everyone! This year I have been pricing my nucs at $125 for five frame deeps, so far I haven't gotten any complaints on prices and they are going quickly. People seem happy to just be able to get nucs that are raised locally with queens that I raised. I am definitely going to make up some medium nucs, if not this spring, this fall. It sounds like the consensus is that they should be just priced the same as the regular five frame deeps and more if they are eight frame mediums...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.