Thread: HoneyBeeHabitat

Default HoneyBeeHabitat

Just a quick note about HoneyBeeHabitat. Not having any great degree of carpenter skills, I purchased a top bar hive from them. Previously I had decided not to buy one simply because of price, but after discovering this company, I purchased one a week or so ago. Cost of the hive INCLUDING shipping, was $140. You assemble it yourself of course but the pieces are accurately and precisely cut. Quality of the wood was very good. There is no phone number on the website to call, but there is an email address. Unlike so many other places, Steve was very responsive to my questions. I received quick answers and good information. If you lack the tools or skills to build your own, this is the best deal out there on the web.

Default Re: HoneyBeeHabitat

I've built quite a few top bar hives, but I'm attracted to this one based on the price. While I could save quite a bit of money building it myself, I could also save quite a bit of time by buying one. The lack of legs is a bit of a concern.

From what I've seen on the internet for sale, if I was gonna order online instead of build myself, theirs would be it.
    The lack of legs can be fixed with four cinder blocks. That's what I was thinking of doing.
    Then I came across a source of free 1x12s.

Steve,

What's your plan of choice? Chandler Style? Michael Bush? Corwin Bell? Your own?

I searched online for months. I decided to copy several different elements from a few designs I found.
    A British web seller called "Major Beehives", and an E-Bay seller "Gumby35" had the most influence.
    But, I went with 19" top bars. If you want to see what mine are like, I just this morning uploaded pictures
    to photobucket. The user name is StevenOgborn. I tried to take pictures of all the aspects of my hives.
    As usual I left some out. I'll go back and add them later.

Thanks Steve!

Here's the link for anyone else who is interested: http://s1066.photobucket.com/profile/StevenOgborn

Thank You Jon!!
    I haven't figured out how to do that yet.
    These pictures are so big I wouldn't be able to just attach them here.

WoW, looking good Steven. I know what you mean by what you told me earlier now

What's that? Jim
    I say a lot of stuff I don't remember later. That's why I'm so bad at quoting people.

You told me your side yard was looking like a fleet of aircraft carriers And I like it

Yup. Easter egg colored aircraft carriers. I gotta get around to mowing and weedeating.

I don't mind mowing, I absolutely HATE weedeating !

What's really sad about me is, I just came off two solids weeks of vacation. It's still not done.
    What I took vacation for is doing well. I took vacation to be available to install and babysit
    the packages for this year. I didn't want to come home from work and find my queens on the ground
    again. Then that old yellow hive picked a good time to swarm. I was there to watch that. yay!

Quote Originally Posted by jonlorusso View Post
    Steve,

What's your plan of choice? Chandler Style? Michael Bush? Corwin Bell? Your own?
    Also, Jon I want to build some that the top bars will interchange with the Chandler type and others.
    After I learn and be able to do reliably, I'd like to sell top bar nucs and some queens.
    I want to start learning queen rearing next year. All I have is ideas on how to do it with TBHs right now.