Question Do you need eyelets in the dadant frames ?

I'm getting some economy frames from dadant. Do i need to get eyelets to run wire through for my deeps ? or can you do it with out ? Also does and embeder work as good as electricity ?

Default Re: Do you need eyelets in the dadant frames ?

Eyelets are good otherwise the wire will slowly cut into the wood and the wires will become loose faster. However, eyelets are expensive in comparison to things like staples. Staples are cheaper and work just as well.

Also no need to get an expensive embedder. A car battery or battery charger will work just fine. It's your choice in either case.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

I too vote for staples, I use 1/4" staples (their legs don't penetrate the End Bars), strategically placed so the tension of the wire is stopped against them, rather than the wood. They're not only a lot cheaper, but quicker and easier to install, also.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

so you would wrap the wire around the little nail and through one hole pull tight and staple ? and continue doing that down the side? Or just on the top and bottom hole ?? Please help clarify im new if ya cant tell !

Not quite. You'll want to put the staples on first where the wire comes through the hole. Then you run the wire through. If it's a deep frame, you'll start by putting a staple in where the wire will come out to attach around a nail. Then on that same end bar, you'll put two staples on the inner edge of the two middle holes and then next to the bottom one where you'll attach the other end of the wire to another nail. On the other end bar, you'll put a staple at the bottom edge of the first hole, top of the second, bottom of the third and top of the bottom hole. Then when you run the wire through, the wire will exit each hole and go right across a staple so the staple will keep the wire from cutting into the wood.

If you choose eyelets, they need to be put in before the frames are assembled. Staples can be done after.

This is really hard to describe without a picture. I hope you're getting it. Keep asking questions. Honest straightforward questions get honest straightforward answers.

Oh and what kinda wire should i use ? Gauge or whatever. I was thinking of getting it from home depot?

That you'll need to get from a bee supply place. It's 26 gauge steel wire. I've never seen it anywhere else. Get a frame wire crimper too. It's the quickest, easiest, most effective way to tighten and retighten the wire. It doesn't cost much. I bought a five pound spool years ago and I doubt I'm even half way through it after wiring nearly a thousand frames.

we use eyelets and 5/8 wire nails. takes longer but makes a quality frame. all bee supply houses sell the frame wire. never had to use a wire crimper as we pull the wire tight before the last nail. If you strum it with your thumb nail it will sing.(how do you sprll strum?)

Well ill just have to double check my money situation.... Ill just buy some more stuff and not tell the lady of the house !

I guess next yr will be cheaper. Might have to just get a credit card for my bee stuff !!

I don't use the eyelets, nor do I use the staples. I pull the wire just tight enough, by hand, to a tautness that doesn't cut into the wood.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Yea i was thinking about that.