Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Russell Apiaries

231K views 504 replies 148 participants last post by  jim lyon 
#1 ·
Anyone have recent contact with Russell Apiaries? Placed an on-line order for queens with them on Jan 20. Payment went through but I have never received an order confirmation from them and all attempt to contact them have failed.

#299 ·
Well, at least we're not the only ones RA wont respond to. Just got this email from the Mississippi BBB today:

This message is in regard to your complaint submitted on 7/13/2012 7:23:32 AM against Russell Apiaries. Your complaint was assigned ID 9....29.

The Bureau has decided to close this complaint and note that the business did not respond to the complaint.

This complaint will be reflected on the company's BBB Reliability Report with the following language: "The company failed to respond either to the consumer or the Bureau to the complaint(s) filed."Please feel free to contact us with any further questions.

Regards,

Linda Clopton
Director of Dispute Resolution

#302 ·
They can choose to ignore the BBB the same way they do many of their customers but on a scale of A+ to F Russell Apiaries is now rated F by the BBB and there may be some potential customers who see this rating. After waiting for bees that I paid for more than a year ago I've given up. I asked more than once for substitutes of a different strain if the ones I wanted were unavailable, but was ignored. I finally have asked, more than once, for a refund. There has been no response. I'll be adding my complaint to the one VolunteerK9 submitted to the BBB and suggest that other unhappy customers do the same.

Russell reminds me of the guy who sold soup on the Jerry Seinfeld show. He has sent bees to people he likes, including free samples of the strain that I paid for, while ignoring lots of other paying customers.

#303 ·
A complaint to the BBB? Really?

When was the last time you consulted the BBB before making a purchase? Personally, I've never looked at the BBB for anything. Though, having worked retail once upon a day, I am well aware how completely useless the BBB is.

And, GDubs, you can go file that complaint. Please don't hold your breath over the cops doing anything about it though. Unless it's traffic enforcement revenue aka "Road-side tax collection", the local law enforcement boys are not interested. Period. Still, go ahead and try it and report back what progress you get.

So, far, it seems that the best results are gotten by contacting the Russell Apiaries "ombudsman", RobHughes. You'll have to send him a message at the Russell Apiaries site. Link> http://russellapiaries.webs.com/apps/forums/ <link. Send a message to RobHughes and he will look-up your order and see what happened. (or rather what didn't happen) Some orders flow through on silicone greases skids, others go sideways. And Rob is the guy fixing the sideways stuff.

The worst of the queens I got from Russell Apiaries took a week to resume laying. Then she scared me by laying in only the 2 inches of drone cells on the day she resumed and I checked. When I checked back 2 days later, she had 2 and a half deep frames filled with worker eggs. And she was laying as I watched. So far, so good.

:cool:

#304 ·
A complaint to the BBB? Really?

Yup really and I don't care if the person that received the complaint printed it off and made a little paper airplane to sail it into the garbage can either. I did what I felt like I needed to do. Ive contaced Hughes, RRussell and Victoria-all the people Ive been told to contact and have heard nothing in return. Still have the Paypal invoice of which Ive posted on their forum a few times as well. Still nothing.

I have also filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission Consumer Protection-once again Im not anticipating a miracle to happen but I do not take getting ripped off quietly nor peacefully, neither should the rest of you.

#306 ·
Well, I think that there is strength in numbers. Plainly stated,all people who have been charged for something that they did not get should pursue the same outcome" refund with interest". I am personally going to Mississippi to file a claim in small claims court. I would urge everyone to do the same. I do not know Mississippi state law but if those who can't physically travel there , well maybe there would be a lawyer that would take it up on a percentage basic. I don't know. I am going there to get a refund or file a case in court. State law trumps interstate comerse if you travel to Mississippi or hire a lawyer there. I urge you; do not let these people beat you out of your money because you purchased over the Internet with a debit card. Russell apiaries has your money and is counting on the fact that you will do nothing to recover it. Be smart and formulate a plan to get a refund. I will know more after return from Mississippi.

#313 ·
Well, I think that there is strength in numbers. Plainly stated,all people who have been charged for something that they did not get should pursue the same outcome" refund with interest". I am personally going to Mississippi to file a claim in small claims court. I would urge everyone to do the same. I do not know Mississippi state law but if those who can't physically travel there , well maybe there would be a lawyer that would take it up on a percentage basic. I don't know. I am going there to get a refund or file a case in court. State law trumps interstate comerse if you travel to Mississippi or hire a lawyer there. I urge you; do not let these people beat you out of your money because you purchased over the Internet with a debit card. Russell apiaries has your money and is counting on the fact that you will do nothing to recover it. Be smart and formulate a plan to get a refund. I will know more after return from Mississippi.
Kaz, that is a rather inflammatory posting in light of Rob Hughes' side of the story:

Rob Hughes at Russell Apiaries Forum said:
Kaz your attitude is over the top. You ordered nucs that you were suppose to pick up and refused to pick them up. I told you that you could pick them up or wait on the powers that be to decide on your request to cancel the order. You can huff and puff all you want but it's real simple you purchased a product and it was produced for you but you haven't picked it up. You weren't ripped off and I am sick of seeing you slander us. You want to take it to court be my guest. You want to get in someone's face, I'm your huckleberry! Mississippi Castle Law is something that you might want to read up on before you start making threats. I walked you through the process and told you that you could get your product or wait for word on a refund. I treat threats as tantrums. That stuff won't get you any special treatment.
Do you expect the courts to trust your word without attempting to verify the facts? If you file a complaint in small claims, Russell Apiaries will be notified of your filing and of the assigned court date. If at the hearing, the judge rules in RA's favor strictly according to the RA terms and conditions you might screw yourself out of that refund.

It sounds like RA is planning to issue a refund to you. In my opinion, Russell Apiaries would be justified if they chose to hold your refund until after they sold the products you ordered produced for you. Especially, since you chose to not pick those nucs up.

#307 ·
I have contacted Rob Hughes and a sub-producer close to me for proper information on my paid for order - I have gotten nothing in return.

Up to date, I have not received the products I paid for or information about my order -it is six months now. All I have gotten is harsh treatment from the company employees and followers.

#309 ·
I am 1100 miles away from Mississippi; going there is just cost prohibitive. Hiring a lawyer would be more trouble than worth. I will keep on posting everywhere I can, and make people aware of the bad experience with RA until I get the proper response.

What a waste!
What a way to destroy a good reputation!

#311 ·
You can file a complaint with the Office of the Attorney General of Mississippi.
http://agjimhood.com/index.php/sections/consumer/complaints

Under the Mississippi Consumer Protection Act, the Attorney General is allowed
to sue only to prevent unfair and deceptive business practices occurring statewide or
affecting large numbers of people. We encourage consumers to send us information about
suspected illegal business practices. Often, the more reports we receive, the clearer the
practice is revealed. Numerous complaints may reveal a pattern of misconduct, allowing
us to take action.

#314 · (Edited)
In light of where these threads devolve to, I am enacting new posting rules in CR. Members are free to share their experiences with vendors. Members may not comment on other member's posts. This is now a "no discussion" forum. Vendors may reply to any post that involves them.

#317 ·
Actually, I'm one of many who consult w/BBB to see if a company is registered and if there are currently or ever have been any complaints. That's how I conduct my business affairs. I work too hard for my $$ to simply hand it out and I have reasonable expectations for businesses. I appreciate the time others take to rate businesses either way (Pos or Neg) b/c it could save me a lot of headache.

#321 · (Edited)
I ordered two queens back in early spring. I have a very detailed e-mail chain with Victoria where I have asked for a refund and been ignored or it was blamed on "new hire" as to why they were not responding back to me. I literally have 11 e-mail requests into them asking for the queens or a refund andhave two responses back from them - so my claim is well covered. Should a mod need the documentation to verify my claim Russell has the customer service skills of a goat and that they appear to have made a decision to steal my money - I will be happy to forward my e-mail trains to them. Where I come from - keeping someone's money without supplying the good or service defines stealing.

Edited to say that I went through my e-mail chains with them and had one response on 6/23/12 saying "We are still a bit behind in shipping but hopefully we can get them out in the next week or so." These queens were to be delivered early June - I was fine with them going out in July as I understand we don't control how many, or when, queens are available. However, no queens and no response until late August.

My next response after numerous e-mails was from Victoria on 8/23/12 where she blames the lack of response on "While we were training the new staff the emails piled up too much for us to try to work with, so we are starting fresh." She also wrote "We have an operation in PA that can send your queens over to you. Let me know and I will transfer the info to that office." I told her I couldn't use the queens and wanted a refund as the queens were supposed to be delivered in early June. Have sent multiple e-mails (with the one today being pretty rude as I am about fed up) without any response since 8/23.

So - in total - I have 13 different e-mails requesting info with them. Dates are 6/1, 6/6, 6/26, 6/26 (a different one), 7/26, 7/30, 8/21, 8/21 (duplicate on the chance the earlier one got "lost") 8/23 with a response from Victoria and a response back to her asking for the refund, 8/24, 8/27, and two on 9/11 with the last one being my rude e-mail.

#322 ·
Quick update: Paypal, American Express, and Visa have a general policy of only allowing disputes for about 60 days after the transaction occurs (e.g., Russell charges you as soon as you pay so that is the transaction - you now have 60 days to claim a refund for not receiving the queens/nucs). Obviously, that policy flat doesn't cover a dispute when some scumball elects to not ship your bees as we typically are scheduled to receive those months after we order them.

Regardless, I called American Express on Monday (which is how my Paypal payments are covered) and explained that I had ordered the queens in February and that this policy just flat doesn't work for a situation like this one. The rep asked how many times I had attempted to contact them requesting the bees/refund, etc. To my surprise, after a few minutes of explaining how the process of ordering bees works, the service rep came back with "you're right - we will make an exception for these queens". BINGO - the rep then credited my account for $118 which they will deduct from a future American Express payment to Russell. Granted, Russell can go back and try to dispute my dispute, but I have no idea how he could win. So bottom line - if you paid your Russell Paypal charge with a credit card - it is well worth bypassing Paypal to dispute the charge directly with the card company. Maybe I am being cynical, but Paypal flat out will not honor disputes greater than 60 days so that may be part of the reason Russell uses them.

Finally, kudos to American Express for having great customer service reps.

#325 ·
I also believe it is illegal to charge a credit or debit card before a product is shipped. You might want to look into that as well. I have not seen the law myself, it is just commonly mentioned information on another group I belong to that does lots of buying selling and shipping.

I woudl file a claim with pay pal, Visa etc. anyway and let them be the ones that refuse rather than just assume they will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.