Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Russell Apiaries

231K views 504 replies 148 participants last post by  jim lyon 
#1 ·
Anyone have recent contact with Russell Apiaries? Placed an on-line order for queens with them on Jan 20. Payment went through but I have never received an order confirmation from them and all attempt to contact them have failed.

#235 ·
Re: Queens from Russel apiaries

In cases where folk have paid for a product and never received it, here we have a small claims court that handle those problems. I think going there, to a small claims court, would be more effective than repeatedly posting here. IMHO :lookout:

#236 ·

When RA first showed up here I ordered a few queens and it was like pulling eye teeth to get my queens. They finally arrived and I did as I usually do and evaluated these queens as I do others. My results concluded that my RA queens were not performing as well as they were stated by RA. My wife and I also invested with Madoff, looks like we had the same results!! Remember, most science is theory based and we all know what a theory is.

#237 · (Edited)

I emailed Russells last week. Here is a copy of that email:

VIctoria, I have refrained from endlessly emailing you, but really, my order is well beyond receiving now. I ordered in early March and my delivery date came and went with no contact from your company.

Someone who worked at your business contacted you for me and you sent me some virgins instead, Problem was, they were mostly not the variety I ordered. Here is your email:

In a message dated 5/22/2012 8:09:08 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, russellapiaries@yahoo.com writes:
Hey Lauri,
We are sending you 12 SunKist Northern Selection and 8 English Buckfast virgins. The SunKist Cordovans won't be available until later in the week, I will send some of those as well if you would like. Thanks!
Tracking no: EI110291711US

Here is my return email to Victoria:

I got your email about the virgins being shipped. The Cordovan Sunkists
were the ones I ordered, so yes later in the week when they are available I
would appreciate it if you would send them. I've been making mini mating nuc
box's like crazy all day and will be ready when they arrive. Thanks again.
Lauri Miller

Here is my only email to them-sent on 5-30-12..a friendly reminder they were still supposed to ship some queens:

Victoria, I would like to at least pay for shipping on the second box of virgins. Please let me know what I owe you. And no sense in shipping a half empty box-so please let me know how much it would be to fill it, if there are enough cordovans to spare.
Hope you're making progress and can have a day off soon:)

Lauri Miller

The Cordovans were the variety I ordered the most of and I have been waiting ever since May 22 for their arrival.

It is now almost August and I have not heard anything. No information, no excuses, no explanations.

Virgin queens will not work for me now, and I would appreciate some kind of refund.

As usual, I have had absolutly no response. As I said in an earlier post, it is like this company dosen't even exist.

I would prefer they send any refund they feel is fair to a local food bank. With such a frustrating experience with Russells, I don't even want my money back, but darn it, I don't want them to just be able to keep it ether. I paid a bit over $200.00. That would help out a needy family.

I see several people posting about placing orders recently and getting queens shipped almost immediatly??? It makes no sense.

I should also add that in June, I sent Robherc all my email correspondence to and from Russells and Pay Pal info. He presented my case, along with others, to Dr. Russell in a single email. It took Dr. Russell two weeeks to read that email. That was a month ago and I have heard nothing from anyone.

I hate this thread, but it is hard to keep quiet.

#238 ·

I am too on the not happy list. I know I will be ganged up by supporters but if I can help make someone elses decision to order easier I will do it. I ordered my queens last december for early may delivery, before all these problems were really started and the positive reviews out weighed the negative. I did receive the queens I ordered with one substitution, "upgrade" as they put it, at the end of May. No complaints really about shipping late, this is a ag based business and things happen, I thought I was fortunate to get my queens. However, once they were released it was obvious they were not as good of quality that everyone chimed in about. These queens were very small, they looked liked virgins or banked queens. I checked them over and two of the three flew off the frame. I knew I had been had at that point. Even the virgin queens I have ordered in the past never flew the frame like these did. Fast forward two months, one queen doing o.k. (definately not laying up a storm), two others are dead. One laid eggs for awhile then was superseded and that queen never made it back to the hive. I understand that he owes me nothing technically, but he is quick to point out that he pulls queens the day they are shipped (not banked). As far as I can tell he is false advertising, the queens I have ordered in the past never had problems like this. I have emailed them several times and no response. I am out $60, not much by most peoples standard, but it is a lot to me and my family who are trying to start a small side business since we are a single income family. Lesson learned, buy from a well established queen breeder or raise my own.

#239 ·

This was on their website this morning:

robhughesMember
Posts: 45 Big changes are coming tonight. The website is getting a facelift tonight by the computer guy in Australia. The forum is part of the changes so don't be mad if your postings are gone when you wake up it's nothing personal he just told me that he may lose some of the stuff that's here while he's doing what he does. Doc says he will be tryin to make some postings on here too when he gets back but he says he will only be posting on educational stuff so send messages to me if you need something looked into. There is gonna be a page where you can go to get to all of the local operations and the items in the store will be changed too. Post here if you need help using the new website so we can be lost and confused together. Lmao.

It seems as if RA doesnt have time to sort through emails or invoices looking for lost orders but they have time to communicate with an Australian site developer to revamp the website which might, just might remove some peoples postings. How convienent when the majority of the most current postings start off with "wheres my order". And even the Doc himself may make an appearance to bestow some more educational words of bee wisdom!

It was stated yesterday on their forum that all refunds or cancellations were at the sole discretion of RR (which I admit, I never read before so it was stupid on my part to place an order in the first place) and second than when I ordered in December of 2011, I was placed on a list. Now I realize that dates are tentative, but I am more than curious to find out how orders placed in March/April were filled before mine.

#240 ·

This was on their website this morning:

robhughesMember
Posts: 45 Big changes are coming tonight. The website is getting a facelift tonight by the computer guy in Australia. The forum is part of the changes so don't be mad if your postings are gone when you wake up it's nothing personal he just told me that he may lose some of the stuff that's here while he's doing what he does. Doc says he will be tryin to make some postings on here too when he gets back but he says he will only be posting on educational stuff so send messages to me if you need something looked into. There is gonna be a page where you can go to get to all of the local operations and the items in the store will be changed too. Post here if you need help using the new website so we can be lost and confused together. Lmao.

It seems as if RA doesnt have time to sort through emails or invoices looking for lost orders but they have time to communicate with an Australian site developer to revamp the website which might, just might remove some peoples postings. How convienent when the majority of the most current postings start off with "wheres my order". And even the Doc himself may make an appearance to bestow some more educational words of bee wisdom!

It was stated yesterday on their forum that all refunds or cancellations were at the sole discretion of RR (which I admit, I never read before so it was stupid on my part to place an order in the first place) and second than when I ordered in December of 2011, I was placed on a list. Now I realize that dates are tentative, but I am more than curious to find out how orders placed in March/April were filled before mine.
As a youth I had the privilege of meeting Dr. Farrar from the University of WI, he left me with a positive
outlook on beekeeping which has followed me thru life.
When Dr. Russell came known to me I foolishly figured that these guys had something in common.
I believe they do, both men share a lot of knowledge in their chosen field, however that simple trust and mistaken belief has since been tainted by Dr. Russell.
A refund of $237.50 (Sept 2011 payment)which was promised me by Victoria in an email in May/June of 2012, has never been made.
Almost daily calls only reach a full voice mail and emails remain unanswered.
Paypal and Visa tell me that it's been too long ago to take action
(works well under "guidelines"as an excuse allowing continued abuse, while everyone profits)

I apologize to the board for defending Dr. Russell earlier, but at the time looked like it was unfair.
My earlier experience in 2010 was favorable and I had no reason to doubt the trust I had placed in the
good doctor.

I and other innocent victims of your own misfortune, do not deserve to share the pain, shame on you.
Dr. Russell, your fathers legacy is at risk and your status as a mentor is in grave peril, you need to make it right. Please respond and send my refund.

Fellow beekeepers, be advised that you order from Dr. Russell at YOUR OWN RISK
In fact you are on your own.....LITERALLY !
All IMO
BM

#241 ·

I was chastened on the russell site for kicking them when they are down and the people left posting there are cult members. The amount I was defrauded of like yours was not enough to justify hiring a lawyer for. Other than warning others not to do business with these people. It is time to just let it go.

#246 ·

I am waiting on a refund from "ra". They clipped my wings for $1200.00. I purchased overwintered nucs for spring delivery, April to be exact. I am hoping to get the refund. I just wonder about the money. "ra" if they are solvent should be setting on sizable cash reserves. If they are not in a good cash position, what happened to the money?

#247 ·

WOW! Every time this thread pops up someone new has been ripped off.
I thought awhile back some of the RA fan club said it was only a couple of people.
It seems to be many many more than they claim:scratch:
I have noticed the defenders pulling back a bit.
I doubt if many will ever receive what is owed to them:waiting:
All we ever wanted were the magic bees we were promised:lpf:

#261 ·

WOW! Every time this thread pops up someone new has been ripped off.
I thought awhile back some of the RA fan club said it was only a couple of people.
It seems to be many many more than they claim:scratch:
I have noticed the defenders pulling back a bit.
I doubt if many will ever receive what is owed to them:waiting:
All we ever wanted were the magic bees we were promised:lpf:
No most of us have better things to do. I should throw more gas on the fire. It is amusing to see some of the stuff in the thread. I have my opinion and others have theirs. But some of the stuff is funny you have to admit.

#248 ·

I purchased some equipment from them back in March, still no sign of it. Five Nuc Boxes, $130.50. The first email I sent received a reply that they would be shipping my equipment shortly. I've sent multiple messages now and have not received any replies. I realize they had some hard times but at this point all I want is my money.

#250 ·

In one more week it will be a year since I sent them money for 5 Moonbeam queens, requesting delivery in early May. When that didn't happen I was told that they were shipping the week of May 28. After that I was told that I was at the top of the list for shipping. I told them that late summer bees would not be good for me and asked for substitution of some other kind of bee. When there was no response I asked for a refund but now my emails are being ignored. Robert may have good intentions and may produce some interesting genetics but the customer service side of the operation is obviously poorly managed.

The excuse for delayed shipping of the Moonbeam queens is that queen cells were damaged by UPS during shipping from the breeding yard to the mating yard, not once but twice! Next time I will be wise enough to order from someone who is small enough to truck queen cells to the mating yard themselves.

#251 ·

Next time I will be wise enough to order from someone who is small enough to truck queen cells to the mating yard themselves.
Ordering from someone that small does give you the benefit that no cells could be damaged through shipping. But it adds even more potential problems, including recessive lines and inbreeding, not to mention missed dates. If an operation running 1,000 hives has a mis-hap that causes them to lose 25% of their order potential, the same could hold true for someone that is running 100 hives. Not saying it happens in all, or even most, operations. But to say that the small guys don't have as many issues wouldn't be a true statement.

#252 ·

Barry, you are directly on point. Regardless of the business that you endeavor, the customer has to find value in your goods or services. The final decision will be made by the customer. Money talks and bull ---- walks. Evidently the " side liner" is important to "ra" or they would not have pursued the business. Obviously, they were accustom to doing business with the big guys and did not make the investment into their business to facilitate the orders that they received. I feel that their old customer base has been serviced "taking care of business " and all the small guys orders were filled if there was an excess of product. After all, they have a cult that defends them. The most striking ordeal is this ; they like your money, and will not give it back. I think that the fact that they make no refunds shows exactly their motive. Profit, I got your money and you can not get it back. Getting back on topic, if you have ordered and have not received product, don't buy from these people again. Tell all your friends your experiences, if they choose to do business with them, then you have done all that you could do. To end this conversation, if you got beat, don't waste any more money on these people, I will be beat only once.
Dan Kazmierski

#253 ·

why was my post deleted as being off topic?

Whats off topic about noting that months have gone past since the original thread was started and everyone is still blathering on and on ?

Is it ever going to stop? when is enough enough?

Dont you think there's enough info on this thread now for people to make an informed decision or is this going to go on ad nauseum?

#254 ·

Dont you think there's enough info on this thread now for people to make an informed decision or is this going to go on ad nauseum?
Evidently there are a lot of posters who don't think it is finished. And then it is equally evident that there are a number of readers who are still interested....look at you and me.....we're still reading the new stuff.

#258 ·

What I find interesting is across the board from queens, to nucs, to woodenware there's customers that still haven't received either the product, the refund, or the communication! From 1 queenie to dozens of nucs. I think it's disgraceful and would hope they take a hard look at themselves and before another season goes by, make it right or get out of this business.

#265 ·
I can't say I've found anything malevolent in RA's dealings with me, but it's been a couple of years. I'd like to chalk it up to growing pains and adjusting to a very positive product in high demand. Sometimes the drama and hyperbole needs to be taken down a notch. Nobody's perfect, but good communication can sure salve, and solve a lot of problems.

I am amazed the number of people who don't read the consumer reports section prior to ordering, even if they fail to search the archives and merely start a new thread with, "Anyone have any experience with XYZ?" With information at their finger tips and mouse clicks, why are there so many new "victims?"

Grant
Jackson, MO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.