Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Default Re: Russell Apiaries

I to received a bankruptcy notice. The filing states that "there does not appear to be any property available to the trustee to pay creditors." Well that was a surprise... lol. He didn't say that on the website. I am sorry to all members as I had presented my experience (which was not as bad as others, such as free replacements) as apparently it was atypical. He has taken from so many, even apparently ripped off Ted Kretshmann (there is another post from Ted on this). As PT Barnum said, "there is a sucker born every minute"

me = sucker

Interesting that he still writes about himself in the third person. Perhaps "Rob Hughes" wrote his website message... lol

I just saw through my email that somebody replied with the name "the doc" and I got excited for a minute. Thought maybe Robert Russell himself came here to offer us an apology. Sorry for assuming doc, I'm confident you are nothing like him.
    Last edited by DPLONG; 04-22-2013 at 12:11 PM. Reason: added text

Received my bankruptcy notice today as well. I guess I won't be getting a refund or replacement queens now.

LOL DPLONG! Sorry to get your hopes up. I dont think we'll ever hear anything from him again. I agree with millerwb

What really makes me made is the "false allegations". There was nothing false in what I posted. He was pretending to be Rob Hughes when meeting people in person an "Doc" Robert Russell on line. I looked the man in the face and shook his hand while he was lying. I cant believe he is still trying to act like the victim.

Got notice also. Glad I was into it for only 2 queens. Mind you, they were to be for my 14 year old son to start two hives of his own for his birthday last year... Russell is just scum.

JC

Quote Originally Posted by DPLONG View Post
    <snip>

I took the time to rewrite their notice on the russell site for them to better reflect what happened.
    <snip>
    What is ironic is that in today's crazy world of litigation there is a far-fetched possibility "Doc" could hire a greasy lawyer, sue folks for slandering him and *causing* his business irreparable harm that lead to it's failure and suddenly victims find themselves as the defendants. I'd say the chances are just about nil that he would pursue that and that the chance of "Doc" winning if he did such a thing would be even less...but, stranger things have happened...especially in our justice/legal system filled with shade-tree lawyers.

Ed

Has anyone else noticed that the debtors are Robert Lee Russell and Jacqueline Nicole Russell, not Russell Apiaries. My PayPal payment was sent to "Russell Apiaries". Russell Apiaries is not named in the "Names used by the debtor(s) in the last 8 years, including married, maiden, trade, and address". Don't know if this matters, but I wonder if Russell Apiaries has assets and is being excluded from the bankruptcy for that reason? I only purchased 2 queens, so not a big deal for me, but maybe for some of you who had bigger losses?

Might be worth responding to the notice to point out that you did business with Russell Apiaries, not Robert Lee Russell, just to see the reaction. No one should be allowed to duck their debts if they do have the assets to pay their creditors. If Russell Apiaries has assets, then Russell Apiaries owes a lot of beekeepers, too! The courts should not allow RR to shield his assets from his creditors by hiding them as belonging to the company while stating that the debts belong to him personally. But how will the court know this is what's happening unless people tell them?

JMO

Rusty

Quote Originally Posted by thenance007 View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that the debtors are Robert Lee Russell and Jacqueline Nicole Russell, not Russell Apiaries.
    Russell Apiaries is a d/b/a. He listed it as a business he runs in the Statement of Financial Affairs, filed in conjunction with his Petition and Schedules. Since Russell Apiaries was not a registered name, it isn't a separate legal entity. It's debts are the debts of Robert Russell, not someone else. The assets of Russell Apiaries are the assets of Robert Russell, not someone else.

Good to know. Thanks.

I really hate it when people get stiffed! It's one thing to honestly fail to run a business successfully but a whole 'nuther can of worms entirely when someone seems to deliberately set out to cheat people.

Sadly, a lot of people lost a lot of money because they made the mistake of trusting this guy.

JMO

Rusty

I don't know all the ins and outs of it, but I'm pretty sure that the usual goal that people have when creating business entities such as corporations is to use the business as a liability shield to protect personal assets not normally the other way around. Unless it's a really twisted scam I've never heard of.

Correct. As RR didn't do this, the business is not shielding him & he will personally lose everything.

Which tells me that the original intention was not to defraud, if it was, he would have limited liability to the business.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    As RR didn't do this, the business is not shielding him & he will personally lose everything.
    Not exactly correct. He still has his statutory exemptions. Based on his schedules, he won't lose anything.

By not anything you mean his primary home, vehicle, retirement account, clothes on his back... Right? I thought that in bankruptcy you do stand to lose everything except the basics - or is it only what you are in debt for specifically? You actually are a law student aren't you?

Which tells me that the original intention was not to defraud, if it was, he would have limited liability to the business.
    No, what that tells me is that he was as inept at running a crooked business as he was at raising bees. It takes as much talent to be a successful crook as it does to be a successful businessman.

He hurt so many people with this mess of his!

JMO

Rusty
    Last edited by Rusty Hills Farm; 04-24-2013 at 08:54 AM.

OK well he may keep the clothes on his back etc, but what I really meant was if the intention of setting up a business is to stiff someone and do it legally, the normal procedure is to insulate yourself from the business, then milk the company for everything in it via wages, fees, or whatever, then when the company is bled dry & fails bankrupt it, but keep what you have taken from it.

RR is being bankrupted personally, so obviously didn't do this, he has not protected himself. If the intention had been to defraud, limiting personal liability would have been a basic step.

My opinion, he got in over his head, couldn't handle it, business falling apart, so then went on to do some crazy things to try to cover up / keep things going.

Having followed this that's how it looks to me. But it's only my opinion, may be wrong.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

if the intention of setting up a business is to stiff someone and do it legally, the normal procedure is to insulate yourself from the business,
    OT...I'm inclined to agree with those who suggest that he was simply an incompetent thief. Had he had enough sense to insulate himself from the business....he might also have had enough sense to make the business work.
    How hard would it be? He had it handed to him on a silver platter....an already functioning business with a good reputation. An honest person....with an ounce of brains would have been able to keep that afloat...
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

OK well you guys may well be correct. I've never met RR, so really don't know. The opinion I expressed is just how it looks to me, but EOD, I don't know.

I'll tell you what tainted RR early on, in my book. He allowed....and at some level encouraged the perception that he had a PhD. Waaaayyy back...I asked him in a post if he was actually a PhD...and rather than 'fess up', he ignored the question. He was deceptive right from the start.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast