Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default nosema treatment

I recently read an article in January's ABJ about a beekeeper in Minnesota who lost most of his bee yard to Nosema. He treated his remaining hives with a syrup mixture of Fumagilin-B and Nozavit. He said he sprayed it on the bees because they would not take syrup because there was a spring flow on. Has anyone read the article? and.....To spray the bees with the mixture, would you pull the frames and spray the bee's or just spray the bee's that came up when you opened the hive? Do you have to be careful not to get it on the brood? Any thoughts?

Default Re: nosema treatment

Your description sounds a bit off. There's no such thing as a spring flow in Feb in Minnesota. We still have snow and we had temps below zero in the last few days. It is still likely that we will be getting more snow until spring comes. Around here I will get an occasional undertaker bee and occasional cleansing flight.

Another issue would be feeding any kind of syrup right now would probably freeze unless kept warm enough above the cluster. Even then it may even cause dysentery.

Edit-You ever sprayed your bees with anything when our highs are still below freezing? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I haven't read the article but I doubt the article is about current events...

The OP never said anything about spraying the bees in February.I do not see why a fumagilin/sugar water spray wouldn't work in warm weather.I see Fatbeeman spraying(fogging) mineral oil on his.If they can take that they should love a sugar water spray.

If any one has read the article.......it starts out last spring I believe. Still the question is............Has anyone read the article?..........
    do you pull the frames?

I haven't read the article but I think it is applied to the seams between frames similar to an oxalic drench.

I can tell you without reading the article that both products (Nozevit and Fumagilin-B) are supposed to be mixed with sugar syrup and fed to the bees. Not sprayed on the bees. Why would anyone ignore the directions that come with the medication?
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Alberta Provincial Apiculturist recommendations;
    Treatment of heavily infected colonies that will not take in syrup:
    -Prepare 50% sugar syrup and mix 2 g of fumagillin per one litre of syrup.
    -Spray directly onto bees (200-400ml/hive) based on population size.
    -Can be repeatedly applied 4 times per hive at 10 day intervals.

If you go to the Nozevit Web site it will tell you to either use the drench or spray method.
    In Don Jackson's article he said that his bee samples were sent in on April 17 2010. So you would assume it was after the test results were returned is when he sprayed them. He also said his colonies were retested in late June.
    He does not say how he went about applying the spray but this explained at nozevit web site.
    Don is a member of the NCBA in Brainerd MN.

Randy

I should of added to the above post if you look at the instructions for use of Fumagilin-B that spraying medicated syrup is a acceptable application.

Randy

I apply Nozevit with a calibrated livestock syringe I picked up at Tractor Supply. It's the same process as applying Oxalic Acid, just drench the bees between the frames in warm weather. This is better than using a garden type sprayer because you don't have to guess at the rate of delivery, it's measured out exactly in the syringe.
    To everything there is a season....

Thank you all for your input. I will check out the websites for application.

But did it cure the problem?

Crazy Roland

Roland
    If your referring to the article in the January ABJ by Don Jackson I'll Quote "It took less than three weeks and the brood areas went from "crappy" and "snotty" to solid healthful patterns that hatched vigorous bee's".

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Shrtcke View Post
    I recently read an article in January's ABJ about a beekeeper in Minnesota who lost most of his bee yard to Nosema. He treated his remaining hives with a syrup mixture of Fumagilin-B and Nozavit. He said he sprayed it on the bees because they would not take syrup because there was a spring flow on. Has anyone read the article? and.....To spray the bees with the mixture, would you pull the frames and spray the bee's or just spray the bee's that came up when you opened the hive? Do you have to be careful not to get it on the brood? Any thoughts?
    I am going through the exact same thing. Nosema seems to be the most active bee killer during the cold months. I mixed up a batch of sugar syrup, Fumagilan-B and Mannlake Bee Health (same as Honey Bee healthy but cheaper) and sprayed all of my hives with the mix. They were NOT happy about being sprayed and were inactive for a few days cleaning up the syrup mix off of themselves and comb but responded very positively to the treatment and became MUCH more active.

If by chance you have a mite problem as well, the sugar syrup spray will cause the bees to clean each other up and hopefully remove a substanital number of mites in the process.

The way I see it, you can do nothing and watch your losses mount or treat and hopefully turn the tide.

Mind you, this treatment should be done over a period of 4 weeks so all of the bees and any brood are adequately treated. I will be treating once a week for 4 weeks but we had a very sudden and very cold snap for the past few days and will hold off until temps come back up into the 60's again.

I think the real purpose of spraying the bees is if they dont consume the syrup from the feeder. IE they have Nosema so bad they stopped eating by will. Then spraying them sends them into the hygenic mode of preening themselves thereby consuming low dose of Fumagilan to help counter their issue. Its pretty bad if the bees are not consuming the syrup from a feeder.

Even if they will accept syrup, drenching is much faster than trying to feed it to them. I've tried it for preventive treatments, 2 treatments at 10 days apart. Pop the top, drench with 10 oz. between the frames, and then move on. Quick and easy, and they get the proper dose immediately. I'm not sure how effective it really is, but so far no Nosema. Time will tell.
    To everything there is a season....

WCMN - Thank you for your reply. It will be interesting to note if their problems reoccur the next year. They may have treated the symptoms, but the problem may still exist.

Crazy Roland

Roland

The article continue's on to 2011 season saying he treated with the same treatment in the fall of 2010 and that the colonies looked good going into winter. I'll quote of his findings in spring of 2011 " There were no dead hives, except for a few that had run out of food. The dysentery was non-existent. The colonies were enormous, the biggest I have ever seen ,even after a harsh winter. Queens were ordered, and splits were made up before the middle of April. The increase was 118% over the number that had wintered, so the extra's were sold and we were back in business".

Randy

I just went back to reread the article as I had found it very interesting when I first read it. some things that have to be rememberd, he said he applied his varroa control(i think it was appiguard ) but was too cold to work that year but he wasn't worried as he had low varroa levels, since the article states that he was an apiary inspector for many years I would have to trust his judgement. his bees were also hygenic italians, russians and carnis and so should be somewhat resistant to the mites. the one comment that I would question is that he said the Fumidil didn't work? his nosema counts are below what people "say" need treating. I would lean more to the fumidil helped/worked by lowering the nosema counts but the damage had already been done. also from randy olivers site " Also note that it took three years of either treatment to really get nosema spore counts down!"

I did some searching trying to see where nozevit is recommended for Nosema and only found one article in abj nov 2009 but searched on the authors and found no information. anyone have any actual study, even the manufacturer doesn't list nosema on the label? I would like to find something I could use in the spring but can't do fumidil and still get my honey supers on at a reasonable time.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast