Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Entrance Size and Location for Swarm Trap

>Can I cut up the foundation to make starter strips?

It doesn't last as well and can fall out...

> I can only get so many stir sticks for free from home depot without visiting multiple stores. I am planning on having a LOT of bees this year.

Buy the Jumbo Craft sticks from a hobby store.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Gypsi,

Just use a little Elmer's on the foundation strips and let it sit overnight. It won't come out.
    Vice President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I agree with Gypsi. We're quietly building up to a fantastic spring here in Texas. There's still much that can go wrong but if the temps stay warm and sporadic rains continue we are going to have a bumper crop of swarms and honey. I'm trying to be ready. I need to start an account on one of the picture sharing sites so I can post pics of the henbit blooming right now and that bluebonnets and clover that are coming up strong. Monday we have a 70% chance of rain followed by a 50% chance on Wednesday. Hope it keeps up.

Gypsi, a few years back we built a new substation near Burleson and had some bees move into a cardboard box on the site. I had to remove them so the contractor could get the goods out of the box and complete their work. I know there are feral bees in the area. Good luck with your swarm trap there.
    When you stop learning you're dead.

Ok guys...forget about the trap, used box, new box, hole size, and everything. Location is key and when you find that spot, an apiary that has too many hives for one guy to manage...then you look for that big old rotten house with the t-111 siding or shiplap. Look at the soffits..if it is a bee magnet type of location. set it up and wait. You can catch swarms that easy. Want pictures of a bee house? Send money.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123