Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Entrance Size and Location for Swarm Trap

I'm game for a competition, but I'm sure I'll be smoked. I put out 10 traps last year all up high, all with old comb in old boxes and copious amounds of LGO and I came up blank. Since I'm building new equipment this year my supply of old boxes just increased five fold so here's hoping.

Mr. C: Where you hanging things. Find a major drainage, then select a wolf tree (one out alone) close to there. Don't need to hang it up high. Also something that brought 4 swarms into my house last summer when I didn't have any bees here..... Melt wax in a solar wax melter and have a trap hanging in you yard! Worked well.
    Last edited by LetMBee; 02-10-2012 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Edit

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    I put out 10 traps last year all up high, all with old comb in old boxes and copious amounds of LGO and I came up blank.
    Try placing some of your traps near your existing hives. It really worked for me last year. I placed my traps on my hive stands about 10 ft. from the nearest hive. Caught about one a week for three months. I think there's something about hives that attract swarms. I don't know if it's the smell or the activity or both but as far as I can tell, they like to be around each other. I didn't have much luck hanging traps in trees.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Try placing some of your traps near your existing hives. It really worked for me last year. I placed my traps on my hive stands about 10 ft. from the nearest hive...I didn't have much luck hanging traps in trees.
    So you just set a hive setup out in your yard on a stand...not mounted up???

And when using LGO, just a few drops dribbled inside?

Having had at least 3 swarms issue from 2 hives last year and NO HONEY, I'm setting out traps to catch my own too! Lol. Trying to stay ahead of it all better this year too (must read the MB data!). Had large numbers in my boxes but I think the clincher was the barn construction. All the sawing and hammering, etc. Probably 20 feet from my hives. That's the only reason I knew I had swarms. One fella was a former beekeeper and he called me at work three times for 3 swarms! Recommendation: Don't build new buildings near hives during swarm season!
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
    So you just set a hive setup out in your yard on a stand...not mounted up???
    About 10 feet from my hives, yes. I about 5 drops of LGO on a piece of paper towel inside a sandwich bag with little holes poked in one side of the bag. IMHO, it last the whole season that way.

. It really worked for me last year. I placed my traps on my hive stands about 10 ft. from the nearest hive. Caught about one a week for three months.
    Or it was swarms from your own hives. I caught one on 4/16/11, in a setup to be seen from my office desk . It swarmed again on 6/21/11. Even with this nice young queen it has been fading away this winter.

All of the promise of spring, fading away. Kinda sad. But we do the best that we can do, and Deo concedente.
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Or it was swarms from your own hives.
    Only two of my hives swarmed and I caught both of those. I'm moving my traps over near an apiary in Saratoga I just
    found out about!

I've got permission from my friend in the Burleson area to put a trap on her land. Most of my bee club is from the Burleson area. hmmmm...
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Only two of my hives swarmed and I caught both of those. I'm moving my traps over near an apiary in Saratoga I just
    found out about!
    Only two of my hives swarmed Famous last words. Charlie, you are such a nice guy here is a hint for you:

http://www.wbhoney.com/index.html

I can't make it any easier than this. Those are my bees on this site,not theirs.

hahaha. Those are some very nice hives there OD - neat, tidy, impressive honey output, some pretty good bees working them, and good "beemanship" behind them...

The game is indeed "on".

I would feel no shame in trapping other peoples swarms. If I would ever have someone ask for them back perhaps we can work out some form of financial agreement. From what I have read in old bee sources from books.google.com the old time "law of the land" was that once a swarm left your property it wasn't yours anymore. I always hang my traps in a location where they cannot be seen easily.
    That being said I have caught more hardy stock from places near where I have heard people used to have bees 20 or 30 years ago, but no one has them around there now. One particular "holler" has several large sycamore trees in it housing bees. Varroa made the beekeeper give up in the late 80's, but there are still bees in them there trees! Once you start "fishing" you will get better at it..... JUST LIKE FISHING!
    Jason Bruns
    LetMBee.com YouTube

Ollie,

I say we make a midnight run and get your bees back from that kid.

I think Texas is going to have a booming year for bees. Swarm traps all over my living room and dining room right now. And a big one next to a nuc on my lot, where I kept bees last year.

I am appropriating my old super frames just to have something to put in traps. Should I pull the foundation (not that they ever held comb or honey, just wax moths before I cleaned em up and froze them), and put them in foundationless, or should I leave the foundation in them.

Gypsi
    Owner of a newly cleaned up computer.

Gypsi,

Pop the foundation out and just use foundationless with a starter strip. If Ollie disagrees, don't listen to him. He can't get his bees to draw straight foundationless comb so he discourages using it. (I think he's just jealous).

Can I cut up the foundation to make starter strips? I can only get so many stir sticks for free from home depot without visiting multiple stores. I am planning on having a LOT of bees this year. And it's raining fairly often.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsi View Post
    I think Texas is going to have a booming year for bees.
    You Texans talk a big game, let's see how you stack up against California beekeepers!

Foundation strips work just fine!!

You Texans talk a big game, let's see how you stack up against California beekeepers!
    You ought to see my dining room table. (actually I can't see it, it's full of bee stuff and tools.)

Our spring may start a little later, but not by much....

Swarm season in the Bay Area is starting in two to three weeks (hopefully). Can't wait to show up Jollie Ollie!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast