Default propolis tincture recipe

I'm trying to find a REAL recipe for propolis tincture homemade by real beekeepers. Any of you guys have a real propolis tincture recipe to share with me??
    thanks,
    Omar

Default Re: propolis tincture recipe

I've mixed propolis with everclear, but it took forever to dissolve. A couple weeks. Poured off tincture every few days. I'd like to find a better way.

I drop the propolis right in the bottle of everclear and cap it tight and stick it in a pan of 130 degree water. Keep it at that temp and vigorously shake once in a while for 1/2 a day and thats all it takes. Make sure you let it settle overnight and pour off the good stuff leave the junk behind on the bottom!

What's everclear? Someone told me or I read to put it in vodka. I've got a nice round hard ball sitting in vodka since last year! Lol.
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

It's legal high octane shine

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    It's legal high octane shine
    Ohhhhhhh.... Thanks!
    8fr medium equipment

It's a pain to find everclear here, you can also substitute a very high proof grain alcohol.

I'd heard 200F in the oven, is that too high? Thanks
    I started out as an opportunistic beekeeper. Now the bees keep me...

NOOOOOOOOOOOO do not put in a 200F oven. It is flammable with a boiling point of about 170F. Think at the very least you could have a fire and ay worst a build up of vapor till you have an explosion.

Ola Gennetika,

CAUTION: Never allow alcolol to be in the presence of an open flame!

Propolis Tincture:

Part 1:

A) First buy an old working electric coffee grinder at a flea market or Goodwill store.
    B) Put your propolis chunks in a plastic baggie in your freezer for a couple of days.
    C) Take a few chunks of propolis from the freezer and grind them immediately to a powder.
    D) Dump the powder on a piece of paper and return it to the freezer. Grind more if necessary.
    E) Pour about two inches of White Lightening (Everclear) in a disposable glass bottle with a lid.
    F) Add the powdered propolis to the fluid in the bottle while swirling and gently shaking, then cap.
    G) Place the capped bottle on top of your water heater or furnace and shake daily for 4-6 weeks.
    H) Much of the propolis will dissolve but the beeswax, bee legs, and wood shavings, etc. will not.

Part 2:

I) Form a funnel shape out of a piece of fly screen and line it with a paper coffee filter.
    J) Place the funnel/filter over a throw away container, possibly bottom ½ of a milk “bottle” box.
    K) Pour the slurry of propolis and alcohol through the funnel/filter
    L) The resulting clear dark fluid will be a fully saturated solution, or high concentration propolis tincture.
    M) The dregs in the filter can be used as the partial feed stock for the next batch of tincture you make.
    N) Bottle the tincture for topical use only and use yourself or sell. You may want to reduce the
    Concentration.

Wow, Steve, excellent! Thank you for sharing!
    8fr medium equipment

I want to use propolis to stain or finish wood. Will this recipe work well for that purpose?
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Baldursson, thanks. Everything I'd read online said 200F, so I appreciate your wisdom!

Steve, thanks for sharing your technique!
    I started out as an opportunistic beekeeper. Now the bees keep me...

Scrapfe,

Re: propolis as a stain of wood finish; try it and let us know. Color of course will be determined by how dark your propolis is. For this purpose you can use denatured alcohol which is much cheaper but it must never be taken internally. Denatured alcohol is a poison.

I have heard that you can paint the insides of hive bodies with this propolis solution because it mimics the insides of natural bee trees. Allow the alcohol to evaporate before installing in the hive.

Dr. Marla Spivak from the Univ of Minn. was at the fall Missouri State Beekeeper's meeting and talked quite a bit about propolis. Here is a link to a page on making tincture from their web site. http://www.tc.umn.edu/~reute001/htm-...20extract.html

I made some of the 30% solution with Everclear last fall.
    "everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts," Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Creek Steve View Post
    Scrapfe,... Re: propolis as a stain of wood finish; try it and let us know..
    I know propolis makes a good wood stain, sealer, or finish. The violin maker Stradivarius used propolis on his musical instruments and I hear his fiddles are still in demand. Propolis stain is sometimes known by the name “Italian varnish.”

I have some propolis already dissolving in 90% rubbing alki. I have no idea how much it will make the grain rise, or how deep into the wood it penetrates. These are two questions I need answers or at least ‘guess-ters’ to.

I have never before used propolis for a wood project. I want a deep rich color. How much do I need to plan on saving so I have enough for my project? I don't know how quick and thick it will load up on the sandpaper or how quick and hard it will dry. I am looking for information. I plan on buffing my project with fine steel wool and then paste wax and polish the bejebers out of it and after I am satisfied with the finish. I would think that 90% rubbing alki would carry the propolis and quickly evaporate. I am making myself a new Sunday got to meeting walking stick out of a 1 1/4 inch hardwood dial, a brass hame knob, and a replacement 7/8" rubber cane tip. For decorations I plan to inlay it with unfired .380 auto FMJ slugs. I have also considered using either paint thinner, mineral spirits, or turpentine to dissolve my propolis in.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

[QUOTE=Bear Creek Steve;754385]Ola Gennetika,

CAUTION: Never allow alcolol to be in the presence of an open flame!

Propolis Tincture:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Thanks Steve fo your recipe, i think its gonna be a total success over here.
    omar.

Does anyone sell their own homemade tincture?
    I would thing that selling something made with alcohol for consumption could be a problem with
    all the rules governing consumable alcohol.
    It there a way to dissolve in everclear boil off alcohol and replace carrier with something less
    regulated?

I always giggle a little when someone jumps on these type of threads and recommends propolis dissolved in 8 oz hard hard liquor as a cure!

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post
    ... I always giggle a little when someone... recommends propolis dissolved in ... hard hard liquor as a cure!
    Yea, I giggle a little bit too when I try those cures.

An old German woman with an accent as thick as a Wurst told me to, "...Mix up honey, lemon juice, hot water, und ein pint of Snaps, 'trunk' zit all down at once Kinder, und du will forget all about zee Cold!" It works!!! I forgot about everything!!!!