Default looking for shallow supers plastic foundation

I'm looking to buy about 700pc of shallow plastic foundation (4 3/4" size) for the 5 3/8" frames. Seems like it's hard to find it, especially for a decent price. I wonder how practical or useable it would be to cut some down.
    Thanks
    -Serge

Default Re: looking for shallow supers plastic foundation

We have always had to cut down medium plastic foundation to shallow for customers who request shallow plastic foundation. You will have to order pierco to cut down because Mannlake's plastic foundation is too thick and will not fit in the groove of the frame. The demand for shallow foundation is really low since most people use shallow for cut comb.

Brushy Mountain sells plastic foundation for shallows. It is actually cut down foundation so you have to use wedge top bars, remove the wedge and nail the foundation in directly.
    I heard that some supplier was gearing up to produce plastic designed to fit shallows. The biggest problem, in my opinion, is that it'll be difficult to snap into a prebuilt frame without breaking something....just not enough flex.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Thank for the info, guys. Chris, see PM.
    Thanks
    Serge

Serge, If you can't find any the right size and do end up cutting them for the right size, run the edge that you cut off on a grinding wheel to give it a "V" taper and it will fit nicely into the groove top or bottom. No need to have a wedged top bar. I cut out the full size green drone comb from their plastic frames to fit 6 5/8 frames all the time so I can create drone brood in a medium super. In that case I have to taper 2 edges since I cut it out of a plastic frame.

When I cut PF120 foundations out of their plastic frames and insert them into wooden frames with grooved top and bottom bars, I set my table saw to shave off about 1/16" from each surface, I set the fence the width of the saw blade (about 1/8"). I do this on both sides of the plastic foundation, top and bottom edge, then they fit quite easily into the grooves of the wooden frames.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Mann Lake sell it!

Yes they just added it to their site within the past few days. This takes a nice load of my shoulders!