Default Narrow Frames with comb guide and horizontal wires

I recently accepted some orders for 5-frame deep nucs. I may not do deep nucs, again, but I thought I'd give it a go. So, I needed some frames that meet my desired specs. I know no supply house that presently produces them, though Walter T. Kelley's is considering it.

I make my frames from 8' long 2x4 studs. They are just a little more than $2 each and provide enough material to build many frames.

I prefer frames whose top bars are 7/8" wide, and the end bars are 1-1/4" wide and straight sided (not narrower towards the bottom). The underside of the top bars has a profile cut into it that acts as a comb guide. The bottom bar is also cut with a profile on its upper surface to facilitate the comb being fastened there.

I use two table saws, a router table, and band saw. It is demanding and takes lots of time, I would prefer if I could purchase frames produced to my specs, and at a reasonable price, but until then, I build my own.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Default Re: Narrow Frames with comb guide and horizontal wires

Joseph - Have you been using these frames with full end bars? I assumed they were open on the bottom half to allow bees through and to reduce propolization. I take it you can remove propolized frames without undue issues?
    I am assembling my first batch of 500 deep foundationless frames.
    7/8" topbar , mitered 45 degrees comb guides on both top and bottom bars , a verticle support in the middle fitting into dado notches in the top & bottom bars , 3/16 spacers that mimic Kelley's endbars.
    This is just to much work for a 75 cent frame ;-)
    They are a work of art, but I need to simplify. Cutting straight end bars would save a lot of time. Do you angle one side of the end bar?

What I lack as a beekeeper I try to make up for by being a carpenter. One table saw, one radial miter, two routers.
    Last edited by DonShackelford; 02-06-2012 at 05:31 AM. Reason: typos

I like Top Bars that are 7/8" wide, all the way across, no little indents for the End Bar ears (if they break off - too bad). I prefer making and using End Bars that are the same width from top to bottom (as you say, "straight"). I like Bottom Bars that fit between the end bars (are glued and then nailed through the End Bars and into the Bottom Bars - never pull apart). Straight End Bars without a "knife edge" on either edge, help to keep the frames aligned properly from top to bottom, they help keep the frames/combs from slapping together during transport, and they are easier to manufacture. I have always been unhappy with traditional End Bars, if a Top Bar has a slight twist, the straight End Bars will help to pull it into alignment once they are all together. Propolis/burr comb has not caused any problems when manipulating frames, more than it does when manipulating any frames. I have observed no obvious benefit from the traditional Hoffman End Bars, and I have had many queens injured/killed when combs slap during transport. The benefits (none that I can see), do not outweigh the risks (a dead queen) due to End Bars that are narrower towards their bottom ends.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF

Hi Joseph,

Do you have an image or plan to illustrate your frame design?
    (You often do, so I figured I'd ask)

Adam

I have lots of plans posted on the Google SketchUp Warehouse. Here is a link to a frame plan like the one discussed here.

48 years - 50 hives - TF

Ah yes, thanks Joseph. I admire all the work you put into your sketch-up models, and appreciate that you share them online.

Adam