Default Reports from Auburn Symposium?

Does anyone have anything to report from the 2012 Auburn Beekeeping Symposium held today? I wanted to go but was unable to get down to AL this weekend. -James

Default Re: Reports from Auburn Symposium?

I haven't heard a mumbling word. But since I attended the last one held in NA (that's Nawthern Alabama) last August I was not in a powerful big rush to attend this one. Keep us posted please.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Same old, same old. No education in the commercial realm. TED
    ALABAMA BEE COMPANY-A member of the Sioux Honey association -*Sweetening a golden tommorrow*

Well, Ted, I thought you'd at least get some education on how to take a punch from an angry ALFA member. I did my best to try to demonstrate! Yuk, yuk!

Here are Jim Tew's slides: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dp6y39gwjinata3

It takes a while to download sorry, about a couple minutes.

Dixiebooks, I'm not sure I have anything exciting to report, other than Jim Tew is entertaining, as always. Alabama beekeeping gatherings are summed up in this way, and made up of the following groups:

1. The brand new beekeeper who either fantasizes about owning a hive tool or just picked one up yesterday (God bless 'em, I love each and every one of 'em--and Ted K does too!)
    2. The hobby beekeeper who's been keeping bees for 10 or 20 years, who's never owned more than 5 hives, think they're God's gift to beekeeping and see ABA as their exclusive good ole boy club.
    3. The marginalized commercial beekeepers who are hoping for some pearl of wisdom, but never find it at these meetings, which might actually better enable their livelihood.

Note #3 above is limited to MAYBE 2-3 folks out of 300+.

I'll try not to get on my soapbox, but if I can do the least little thing to serve the honey bee economy (promoting big guys like Ted, Stonefly, etc) in this state, then I will never regret the gas money spent on driving 4 hours south to an anemic gathering typical of ABA meetings. At a membership of only 600 or so, we are half strength as states like Tennessee which have a $30,000 budget. It will take time but ABA will grow, and these new beekeepers who are full of wonderment will accompany me in leadership someday to return Alabama to its beekeeping industry prominence.
    "...the most populous colonies ...are provided by queens ...in the year following their birth." Brother Adam

BRAVO!! So well said. Makes me want to stay awaay from Alabama. But, is it better in the states where the commercial beeks are the tail that wags the dog? Very different needs and objectives.

Those beekeepers around Auburn should be proud to have a guy like Jim Tew. The Ohio State University made a mistake the day they let Dr Tew go. Good luck to everyone down there that wants to learn from him. He's a wealth of information.
    Just thought I'd add my two cents. We here in Ohio were sad to see him go.

Quote Originally Posted by ycitybz View Post
    Those beekeepers around Auburn should be proud to have a guy like Jim Tew. ...We here in Ohio were sad to see him go.
    ycity, your loss is our gain, for sure. Jim admits the transition is scary, but like the "Cheers" TV theme show song, ...go where everybody knows your name, Jim is an Alabama son and feels at home down here. I am shocked that Auburn doesn't have a more robust entomology department specializing in honeybees, and I can only hope that Jim can help turn that around.
    "...the most populous colonies ...are provided by queens ...in the year following their birth." Brother Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    BRAVO!! So well said. Makes me want to stay awaay from Alabama. But, is it better in the states where the commercial beeks are the tail that wags the dog?
    Possibly so, Vance. I've been very fortunate in my measly 5 years of keeping bees that I always personally experienced a good comaraderie (sp?) between myself and the commercial folks. I think we all have something to learn from the big guys. Working bees with Mike Palmer for 2 weeks in VT taught me a HUGE amount. With the right attitude (shut my mouth and just listen and absorb, don't insert my methods but learn his), newbies can learn loads and loads.

I love the newbie beekeepers in fatcher's first category until they transition into category two and develop a bad attitude. Then Marginalized commercial beekeepers like myself, who have a wealth of forty years knowledge to give but are not allowed to, are forced to fantasize about fishing for trout, panning for gold in Alaska, or traveling back to Ukraine where the commercial beekeeping knowledge is more than welcome. TED
    ALABAMA BEE COMPANY-A member of the Sioux Honey association -*Sweetening a golden tommorrow*

...Until one of us snaps you out of your trout fishing, gold panning, day-dreams with a real fist fight. LOLLLL. :-P

By the way, thanks for the accomodations and breakfast yeasterday, you're too kind.

"3. The marginalized commercial beekeepers who are hoping for some pearl of wisdom, but never find it at these meetings, which might actually better enable their livelihood."

What about the marginalized fairly new/small time beeks who honestly try to learn more in order to grow their business and further the vocation/avocation of beekeeping? If they don't fall in line with the status quo then they (read, we) are lumped in with those crazies who want to (gasp!) open their borders and encourage the trade in bees and other products of the hive. Personally, I've cast my lot with "crazy" Ted and the others willing to take a stand for what is right for beekeepers, beekeeping, and the state. Apparently, I missed an incident where some guy, who stands for everything that is wrong with beekeeping in Alabama, wanted to pick a fight over it. Now, THAT is what I call crazy. I appreciate those who are making the stand for right. -james

Quote Originally Posted by fatscher View Post
    It takes a while to download sorry, about a couple minutes.
    Just curious, are you using a phone with a hand crank on it?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Just curious, are you using a phone with a hand crank on it?
    LOL! No, it's called Verizon!

Ace, Kieth only uses a handcrank phone when he goes fishing....TED

Quote Originally Posted by dixiebooks View Post
    What about the marginalized fairly new/small time beeks who honestly try to learn more in order to grow their business and further the vocation/avocation of beekeeping? If they don't fall in line with the status quo then they (read, we) are lumped in with those crazies who want to (gasp!) open their borders and encourage the trade in bees and other products of the hive. Personally, I've cast my lot with "crazy" Ted and the others willing to take a stand for what is right for beekeepers, beekeeping, and the state.
    We are a crazy bunch, ain't we James? I'm so crazy I'm up at midnite when I should be sound asleep. Alabama could stand to become more like Tennessee, a state which genuinely promotes its beekeepers, all of them, not just hobbyists but the big kids too, the commercials. The Tennessee govt offers grants to its beekeepers, the state bee association does the same. I believe that with time, Alabama will return to a prominence again. The good news lies in all these brand new beeks here in Bama. With 5 years in the hive, I count myself as one of those newbies. We need to let guys like Ted get up and do some teaching. We need to make ourselves available and serve the commercial beekeepers so we can learn ourselves. They'd appreciate the labor anyway, and I'd appreciate the gained knowledge. Ain't that crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Kretschmann View Post
    Ace, Kieth only uses a handcrank phone when he goes fishing....TED
    He must be sitting next to a 3G cell tower that they haven't updated yet.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping