Default Propolis/Ammonia varnish for new hives? Ever heard of or tried this?

Have run across a couple of references to treating a new hive interior (or a hive set up as swarm trap) with a solution of ammonia and propolis. After the ammonia smell evaporates, supposedly the propolis varnish is very attractive to bees. Anyone tried this? If so (and if it worked) how would one make the solution?

Default Re: Propolis/Ammonia varnish for new hives? Ever heard of or tried this?

skip the ammonia heat up some slum gum take a putty knife smear some on the inside of the hive and instant hive smell

Default Re: Propolis/Ammonia varnish for new hives? Ever heard of or tried this?

I could see where the propolis that is soaked into the woodware would be good for keeping it from rotting too fast. How long would it take for the ammonia to dissipate from the woodware?

Thanks for the putty-knife suggestion @slickbrightspear. @Bmac - I'm wondering how long ammonia smell would take to go also. Funny, when I did online searches similar "varnishes" came up under violin making. Supposedly the Stradavarius (sp?) violins were varnished with propolis...

I have heard that in the past.