Thread: Is Warre legal?

Hybrid View

Default Is Warre legal?

I checked and in Virginia I believe that it is, even with fixed top bars. Has anyone checked the specifics and language (not what is said at meetings but the actual verbiage) in other states?

Default Re: Is Warre legal?

Contact your VA State Apiculturalist and ask for a copy of the law. I don't know if I still have mine from when I lived in VA last, 1984. My memory is that all frames must be removable so the hive parts can be inspected. Inspectable. That's the crucial word.

When we built an 18th Century reproduction of a hive for use and display in an apiary on the Governors Palace Green at Colonial Williamsburg, Wmsbg,Va, we had to modify the interior so frames could be used to meet State Requirements.

All of that said, forgiveness is easier to get than permission.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

I just checked North Carolina and I believe (though I'm not an attorney) that 02 NCAC 10B .0316 which governed hive types has been repealed and replaced by 02 NCAC 09L which doesn't even mention hive types, so ... Warre's with fixed bars are legal in NC.

Well dam! You are right. I just checked again. Three years ago they plugged the loop hole. " 3.2-4403. Duties of beekeepers. - Beekeepers shall: 1. Provide movable frames with combs or foundation in all hives used by them to contain bees"

I think I was legal for awhile. Its good to know that the government is efficiently creating more rules. Would hate to run out of regulations to comply with.

of course the regs don't define moveable. I can move my frames, it just takes a pry bar or a saw.

"movable" or "removable"?
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

The letter of our state law reuires "modern" (post Roman?) Hives with removable frames, but the state inspector sez as long as he can inspect brood it's fine. So in TN it's open to interpretation. - probably like that all over. Be nice to your inspector, and keep your combs running straight.

Warre hives are legal everywhere no matter what the wording of the law is. Warre hives are easily modifiable. You can run with just plain top bars and let the bees do what they like. You could use top bars with comb guides. You can make half frames with or without comb guides. Heck check out the link.

http://www.thewarrestore.com/apps/we...s/show/1947015

You can even use full frames if you'd like. If you choose to use a Warre that has been unmodified then you will have to check the law. However if the law in your states requires movable frames then you just need to modify your style a bit. You would likely be able to make half frames and still be well within the law.

Maryland says, "removeable frame for inspection." There you go.